By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Growing trend? Little to no penalty for dying in a game.

They should have an "old school" mode for these short shooter games and what not.

Have it like old days where you have like 3 lives or maybe even just one. you can't save and if you die or loose all 3 of your lives then game over and start from begining. People would love it, and its not like it would be hard to impliment it as a bonus mode.

Around the Network

Nobody likes dying. (well very few)

Games have been getting steadily easier for 20 straight years. That's not entirely a bad thing either - a lot of the old games were hard for all the wrong reasons (poor controls, frustrating gameplay, forced memorization sections, etc.) Party of appealing to a wider audience means making games that normal people (ie those who don't spend all their time gaming) can enjoy.

I applaud games with multiple difficulty levels for those who want more challenge. That's a good way to accomodate those of different skill levels. (Forcing everyone to play through the game on Easy/Normal the first time through is TERRIBLE design. If I buy the game, I should have the right to get my ass kicked right away!)

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

I like progressivly harder games (Zelda) for current consoles, but I have alot of classics and I really liked the original Metroid and Kid Icarus wich were very hard games. So I guess it goes with time.

Force Unleashed was to forgiving though.

Mario Galaxy is much easier than Super Mario 64 because except for comets, when you die, you don't have to start the level all over again.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Around the Network

Games aren't built to eat quarters anymore. You should be able to complete them. Why would developers want to punish their customer. There are a few exceptions but I don't think I would have any arguments over the fact that those games are really upmarket and thus niche.

I like that it makes a larger portion of games actually beatable by the average and removes the need to reload when you mess up, however it's nice when there's some incentive to not die constantly, like reduced exp., respawned enemies, minor loss of gold/items.

i totally hate that!!! I totally agree with the Battlefield BC reference. Really no downside to dying.

There needs to be a balance though, it can't be forever between checkpoints like Rainbow Six Vegas 1, and the old SOCOM ones, but not as easy as Battlefield.

FishyJoe said:
I remember the early days of UO where you could loot players. It was crazy madness with packs of PKs running about killing anyone they could. It mas the most fun and the most frustrating experience I've ever had in gaming.

While most people don't like this stuff (it's too hardcore), there's definitely an audience for it. I'd always play Diablo 2 hardcore with friends, and the risk of death (if characters die, they're dead, permenantly) really added to the excitement. Ah, I can recall all my high level deaths, good times...

Has anyone ever played Soul Reaver? I don't think you can really die in that game, you only shift into the shadow realm, and if you run out of energy after that, you just get returned to the start.

It kinda makes sense though, I mean, he already died, was turning into an immortal vampire, and then was killed AGAIN. I mean, he's already a ghost of an undead creature, how are you supposed to kill him AGAIN?

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her