By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - We don't need price cuts on hardware, we need them on software!

Many instances arise where gamers simply cannot afford to buy whichever game they want at full price. Not because they are broke, but because the game isn't worth it sometimes.

My brother held back on purchasing The Force Unleashed solely because of it's 6-hour length. If they cut the price for older games annually or something (like what's happened with the 360), systems could sell more, or obviously software could. Wii games have fallen in price, but not the 1st party ones I've seen. Some PS3/360 games still cost what they did upon launch after release.

Maybe after 6 full months, games should drop in price. Then after 12 months, drop again, I don't know.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

I highly doubt that MS and Sony (those two in particular since they don't make money on their console like Nintendo does) will drop their % that they can get from the sales. They make good money on those, lowering their losses on the consoles. Then it has to be the maker or the shop keeper who drops it... No idea who will want to.

increased cost for dev = increased cost for user. though even at todays cost still less than n64, and tail end snes carts, so be glad there is a resale market now... well a bigger one.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Yes. That's why we can thank Nintendo for going the route less traveled... because at the rate MS and Sony were going, in 10 years no one would be able to afford the consoles, thus no one would be able to buy the games, and with already increasing dev costs, they'd have to increase the price to offset the drop in userbases... people buy less games, the cycle continues... crash.

But hey. The gamers want better graphics at the expensive of larger userbases? This is what you get.

I agree. It's getting annoying with Wii games around here. Twilight Princess still costs more than any other new Wii game (save for Wii Fit), and that's really keeping a lot of people off it.

It's one of the few things that really annoys me about Nintendo now (although it is a bit stupid that I am).

If they dropped the price for TP from 65 euros (actually, it's more, but it is easier for me this way) to 40-50 euros, that would bump the number of people who buy the game, and probably games in general.

This would long term - make more people play much games
And short term - lead to lower profit pr game, but with more games sold, it (almost) evens out.

Still, I see why Nintendo doesn't do it - they are going to make less money if they do.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

I don't mind the new price of most games. If I don't think it's worth it, I just don't buy it right away or at all. What pisses me off is when places like Gamestop have the audacity to sell the used copy at only $5 less than the new copy.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
I agree. It's getting annoying with Wii games around here. Twilight Princess still costs more than any other new Wii game (save for Wii Fit), and that's really keeping a lot of people off it.

It's one of the few things that really annoys me about Nintendo now (although it is a bit stupid that I am).

If they dropped the price for TP from 65 euros (actually, it's more, but it is easier for me this way) to 40-50 euros, that would bump the number of people who buy the game, and probably games in general.

And short term - lead to lower profit pr game, but with more games sold, it (almost) evens out.

Still, I see why Nintendo doesn't do it - they are going to make less money if they do.

shhh i let you in on a secret if you convince enough people to not buy, big N will be forced to drop prices  

goddog said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

shhh i let you in on a secret if you convince enough people to not buy, big N will be forced to drop prices

Really? Well, I feel kinda bad for Ps3 and X360 owners. Their hardware/software is so expensive, so I'll get people to boycott those instead.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:
goddog said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

Really? Well, I feel kinda bad for Ps3 and X360 owners. Their hardware/software is so expensive, so I'll get people to boycott those instead.

hah.... it would be nice but i am an addict and can not cut the supply without facing withdraw, so i take the price hike in stride, and whore out my talents more often to make more money

Game companies are never going to adopt a formal, time-based price-drop policy ... because people will just wait to buy.

Nintendo already seems to have a policy -- they just don't cut prices for a long, long time (if ever). So if you can't afford it new, buy it used. Only one out is ... Nintendo. (This could apply to any publisher but since Nintendo's prices are the firmest in the industry, they are used as the example. Plus it makes more sense in context).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV