By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Real Reason Blu-Ray is struggling to take market share.

Before I start this thread I remind everyone that this is my opinion and nothing more. I base this opinion on what I've heard people say regardind Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray discs are a great hi-def media. Movies look crystal clear and sound is awesome. However, it has struggled to take market share from DVD. Here are a few reasons why it has failed to do so:

- DVDs are dirt cheap. New releases if purchased the week of release go for only $14.99. Blu-Ray movies have similar deals on release weeks but are not as cheap as the average Blu-Ray release is $29.99.

- Blu-Ray movies are still too expensive. For example the two disc Special Edition of Transformers on DVD is only $19.99. The Blu-Ray edition is $35.99-39.99 depending on the store.

- Most people don't know what Blu-Ray disc are. I was talking to a friend the other day and told them I had just purchased two Blu-Ray movies. They asked me what is Blu-Ray?

- HDTV are still a luxury item for most people. Older people 50 and above don't know what HDTVs are and are reluctant to buy them. As a matter of fact most normal people are happy ordering the DTV converter box vs. buying a new TV.

- Some people say there is no difference or minimal difference between DVD picture (in an upconvert player) and Blu-Ray picture.

- Another thing holding Blu-Ray back is differing cost of older movies. For example, Rambo special edition Blu-Ray box set with the first three Rambo movies is only $29.99-$49.99 depending on the store. The Die Hard set with all 4 Die Hard movies goes from $89.99-$129.99. Albiet the Die Hard set does have one more movie, however, the difference in price between the sets is $60-$80.

- Cost of Blu-Ray players is still expensive. Blu-Ray players need constant firmware updates to access new features on newer movies. The only Blu-Ray player that is kept constantly up-to-date in the PS3 which costs $399. Most novice folks looking for a Blu-Ray player will not buy a PS3 as they think of it as only a gaming system.

What are ways this can be remedied? Have movie companies drop the price of Blu-Ray movies. Make Blu-Ray movies standard price $24.99 for new releases. Have older movies range from $14.99-$19.99. Make Blu-Ray players cheaper, DVDs did not take off until there were sub-$100 players I think Blu-Ray could benefit right now if there were more sub-$200 players. Promote Blu-Ray more. Have you noticed since Sony defeated HD-DVD they have cut back on promoting Blu-Ray. Most novices are still in the dark and don't know what Blu-Ray is.

That is my opinion. What do you think? I just think this format could benefit more if pushed better.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Around the Network
XGamer0611 said:

- Cost of Blu-Ray players is still expensive. Blu-Ray players need constant firmware updates to play newer movies. The only Blu-Ray player that is kept constantly up-to-date in the PS3 which costs $399. Most novice folks looking for a Blu-Ray player will not buy a PS3 as they think of it as only a gaming system.

I don't think that's correct. Some Blu-Ray players need firmware updates so that they can access some of the bonus features on newer movies. All current and future movies should be able to play on any Blu-Ray player.

true , good points
they are all valid here in my country ,, specially "people don't know what blu-ray is"

I thought it was a fact that Blu-ray IS taking market share.

PSN - hanafuda

Arcturus said:
XGamer0611 said:

- Cost of Blu-Ray players is still expensive. Blu-Ray players need constant firmware updates to play newer movies. The only Blu-Ray player that is kept constantly up-to-date in the PS3 which costs $399. Most novice folks looking for a Blu-Ray player will not buy a PS3 as they think of it as only a gaming system.

I don't think that's correct. Some Blu-Ray players need firmware updates so that they can access some of the bonus features on newer movies. All current and future movies should be able to play on any Blu-Ray player.

You're right, I'm going to update the post now.

Around the Network

The most important one i think is the hdtv price, i have a ps3 but i dont have any B-ray movies because hdtv cost are around UD$2000 where i live, so i only buy dvds.
and whit US$2000 you can buy a car here.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

I bought Transformers at walmart for 19.99...all there blurays were that price. But yeah players are really expensive but lets see what happens at Christmas this year.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=blu+ray&search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&ref=501456.4292595695

xenophon13 said:
I bought Transformers at walmart for 19.99...all there blurays were that price. But yeah players are really expensive but lets see what happens at Christmas this year.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=blu+ray&search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&ref=501456.4292595695

That is why I put depending on the store. Most places don't sell at Wal-Mart prices. FYE has Transformers for $34.99.

I'll stick to dvd's for now.

I think most of the people don't know what Blu Ray is.

However once more people have one and prizes come down it will slowly replace DVD. But that will take some years.

Oh and btw: most people buy HDTV's because they're flat, the general customer doesn't know what HD is.