By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii unable to conquer the Pro sports demographic... why?

RolStoppable said:
Nearly all of these sports games on the Wii are guilty of one or more of the following points:

1. Inferior to the PS2/PS3/360 version in one way or another.
2. Not released at the same time as the PS2/PS3/360 version.
3. Having an "All Play" logo on the box which many people possibly interpret as "this version of the game is probably for idiots".

RolStoppable has given the correct answer to this question. The only thing that I can add is that the Wii version of those games does not receive an advertising. EA has never shown a commercial that displays all the features of All Play. If it were not for Gametrailers.com I would not know about all the features. I see All Play on the cover of the game and think that its for casuals.

Also PES is the only core title that has really demostrated what the Wii can do. EA is miles behind and will probably never catch up.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Around the Network

The Wii doesn't need the Pro sports, that's why.

They already have WII SPORTS, which has outsold all sports games released on all consoles combined in the past 97 weeks.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SHMUPGurus said:
obie said:
Well i would think that people who like football tend to watch it on HDTV's and are probably on average more of a graphics whore in comparison to the average person.

Plus I just does not seem right to control a kick and passing of the football with hand motion controls.

If that makes any sense.

Why do I have a feeling I've already read this before...? Oh right, it's almost exactly my post!

Oh shit it is like yours lol. But you explained it better.  If i seen your reply i wouldnt have even posted on this thread. Well i guess great minds think a like.

obie said:
SHMUPGurus said:
obie said:
Well i would think that people who like football tend to watch it on HDTV's and are probably on average more of a graphics whore in comparison to the average person.

Plus I just does not seem right to control a kick and passing of the football with hand motion controls.

If that makes any sense.

Why do I have a feeling I've already read this before...? Oh right, it's almost exactly my post!

Oh shit it is like yours lol. But you explained it better.  If i seen your reply i wouldnt have even posted on this thread. Well i guess great minds think a like.

Haha, not too sure if I belong in that pot, but whatever suits you best. ;)

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Golf games are already selling best on the Wii, so we can't say that you're entirely correct.

Still, I take your meaning, and while you're wrong about Wii games not having legs (see this site for details) their legs don't carry them far enough to reach their HD counterparts. RolStoppable listed some plausible reasons, but I honestly suspect that things go deeper than that. I propose we examine Tiger Woods as our starting point, since again that version is the best-selling one.

I don't think one can argue that Tiger Woods does not have far and away the best and most natural controls in the Wii version (note: this does not mean perfect controls). I also don't think we can argue that the same yet applies to other sports games; the only hockey game we've gotten was kind of clunky compared to traditional titles, Madden kind of shoehorns motion controls in (although it IS getting better) and basketball games are barely trying.

As for baseball and tennis, which one would think the Wii would excel in, third-party games haven't really taken advantage of the Wii just yet. Top Spin uses this bizzare system where you use the wiimote and nunchuck together to direct your ball, and the third-party baseball games are trash, plain and simple.

We finally come to soccer. One would think that PES would do great on the Wii, and yet it did only alright. I have two theories. The first is the obvious one: it came out six months after the others! The second, however, might be more on point: it's not a very accessible game. Fun as hell once you get the hang of it, but it often plays more like an RTS than a sports game. And while I think that's the way sports games should go in the future, it's not something you can just dive right into...

To summarize the above: Wii simulation sports games generally have yet to be of high quality, which may explain their lackluster sales. But I still don't think we're done yet.

I believe that the demographics of the system may be playing a role. Let me be the first to admit that I'm on thin ice here, and that my assumptions may be so far off that they bring the conclusion crashing down around me, but I don't think that the people who most purchase the traditional sports franchises have migrated to the Wii just yet.

The stereotypical Madden gamer is a young guy in his late teens/early 20's, for instance, and similar images exist for the other franchsies. While I believe the Wii does have many of those, I strongly suspect that the majority of those gamers are currently on the HD consoles, or have elected to stick with their PS2s for now.

Those that have a Wii and an HD system are probably picking the HD version both for the extra features and for the fact that they're more familiar with the controls. The expanded audience, by contrast, would pick the Wii version if they pick up any version, but considering the fact that they haven't bothered to jump on the bandwagon in the past twenty years, why should they choose to do so now? If I was in their shoes, I'd go with a Wii-specific game, since I've already spent the past few years ignoring the traditional franchises.

Put alternatively, if I didn't care then, why would I care now?

This hypothesis might explain the Tiger Woods phenomenom: my best guess is that the average golf enthusiast is older than those of other sports, and that such an audience is statistically more likely to own a Wii than the other consoles. Consequently, the people who've been buying the games are the people who already have a Wii, but probably not an HD console. Alternatively, since Tiger Woods is the franchise with the most natural Wii controls, the audience could be opting to pick it for that reason.

I have more thoughts to share on this matter, but I'd like to pause and see what the rest of you have to say first. I know full well that my theories aren't perfect, and if I had more time and energy to refine them I would cheerfully do so, but for now I welcome your comments on the situation (not just my post), and I'll take this chance to learn from the rest of you.

Around the Network

I agree with the thought that pro sports have become a subcategory of hardcore games, in that the same crowd are the ones that buy such titles (with the exception of pro golf and tennis-probably because the wii offers realistic gameplay in these sports). I also believe that the "all play" label is hurting the sales due to the same reason in that it deters that core gamers more than it attracts the mainstream; that an the fact that the game covers tend to be more childish or "gay" relative to the HD ersions of the game covers.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

SHMUPGurus said:

Well, it might be because of the controls and the graphics, which the Wii lacks in at least one of these departments. I believe that in the world of HD that is today, if you're playing a sports game, you have to see sweat on the players, you have to see the grass getting more and more ''dirty,'' etc.

I would also add HD gives you a wider view of the playing field. Sports like tennis HD helps in tracking the ball in both video games and live ones.

Smidlee said: "I would also add HD gives you a wider view of the playing field. Sports like tennis HD helps in tracking the ball in both video games and live ones." 

I might have misunderstod your logic here, but if you are refering to widescreen mode, I can tell you that Wii sports games are in widescreen.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

venepe said:

Smidlee said: "I would also add HD gives you a wider view of the playing field. Sports like tennis HD helps in tracking the ball in both video games and live ones." 

I might have misunderstod your logic here, but if you are refering to widescreen mode, I can tell you that Wii sports games are in widescreen.

Wii has a wide screen mode yet it's not the exactly the same as it's more & less stretch to fit a wide screen.

The Playstation was always targeted toward beer drinking jocks. These are the people that usually buy sports games. :p

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger