By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DSi software is region-locked, Nintendo confirms

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/06/dsi-software-is-region-locked-nintendo-confirms/
well that sucks

Around the Network

This sauce.

It's pretty weak...

wow i wasnt expecting that, but what do they mean by DSi software? does that mean theres going to be games JUST for DSi and not for the other DS systems?

Well, look what happened to piracy on the regular DS.

I'm officially confused as to whether we call the DSi a new system or not--it seems to have some games that can't be played on DS, but it doesn't have any added horsepower, and just some internal memory and the cameras. I mean, we don't consider the PSP-3000 a new handheld just because it has a microphone, but this is just strange and a bit worrisome.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
Phoenix_Wiight said:
wow i wasnt expecting that, but what do they mean by DSi software? does that mean theres going to be games JUST for DSi and not for the other DS systems?

It means the DSi is region locked. For region locking to work it has to exist in both the hardware and software. So, for future games they will know if they are being played on DS or DSi. If the latter it will kick in the region checks.

Does this mean that when you buy your DSi in Europe you can't play DS regular games you bought in the US? Or does concern DSi specific software only?

thekitchensink said:
I'm officially confused as to whether we call the DSi a new system or not--it seems to have some games that can't be played on DS, but it doesn't have any added horsepower, and just some internal memory and the cameras. I mean, we don't consider the PSP-3000 a new handheld just because it has a microphone, but this is just strange and a bit worrisome.

But not completely unprecedented. Remember the Game Boy Color; it could play old Gameboy games, plus some exclusive ones, but most folks didn't consider it to be an entirely separate platform. I'm guessing this is the same thing. Only Iwata's reference to the "third pillar" confuses me.

Chrizum said:
Does this mean that when you buy your DSi in Europe you can't play DS regular games you bought in the US? Or does concern DSi specific software only?

According to Joystiq, it's not region-specific for regular DS games.  For example, I, living in Canada, could import Osu!  Tatake!  Ouendan! from Japan for use on my DSi, but I couldn't do this for a game made for the DSi.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

it's sucks ! i'll stay with my dslite

need some power ? nintendo power !