By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Oh Snap! Beautiful Katamari Cancelled on PS3 to be replaced by other game?

robjoh said:
ckmlb said:
omgwtfbbq where does it say that this game is a spin off? Can you point it out to me? You're confusing the PS3 for the Wii... this is a brand new game from the creator of Katamari.

Or maybe you think the same people can't make more than one game at a time?

Well it was the creator of the main series of DQ that made DQ:Swords and that was a "cheap spinn off", well at least untill the sales number for the first day hit.

What I think Omgwtfbbq is trying to say is that when Wii gets a game that is a new franchises it is considered to be from C-team, but when PS3 loose a game and gain a new one that we knows of directly it is clearly made by the best team. I am not saying this is the case this time but you must agree on that it is pretty much double standards.

Wait a second. Dragon Quest Swords is a spinoff. It's in the name in case you missed it, Dragon Quest Swords....

Where does it say this game is a spinoff in any way shape or form?

Also we know Dragon Quest Swords is being made by the C-team because they are making the actual Dragon Quest sequel on DS. This game has no relation to Katamari except that it's from the same creator and company. I thought this would be easy to understand but apparently not. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
robjoh said:
ckmlb said:
omgwtfbbq where does it say that this game is a spin off? Can you point it out to me? You're confusing the PS3 for the Wii... this is a brand new game from the creator of Katamari.

Well it was the creator of the main series of DQ that made DQ:Swords and that was a "cheap spinn off", well at least untill the sales number for the first day hit.

What I think Omgwtfbbq is trying to say is that when Wii gets a game that is a new franchises it is considered to be from C-team, but when PS3 loose a game and gain a new one that we knows of directly it is clearly made by the best team. I am not saying this is the case this time but you must agree on that it is pretty much double standards. 

I agree, I'm sure the same attitude is being shown towards Soul Caliber Legends even though it is, if I've read correctly, being made by some of Namco's best people including the director of the traditional SC games.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Biggerboat said:

I agree, I'm sure the same attitude is being shown towards Soul Caliber Legends even though it is, if I've read correctly, being made by some of Namco's best people including the director of the traditional SC games.

Is Soul Calibur Legends not a spin off? Is the real Soul Calibur game, the fighting game sequel, not going to other consoles and not the Wii? That is the definition of a spin off. 

robjoh said:
ckmlb said:

The creator of DQ, created DQ. DQ is his brain-child. DQ:Swords, just becuase his name is on it, is it his brain child as well? What I mean is, did he create it? Or did he tell someone else what he wanted, and it got his name? Let me give an example.

Halo was the brain-child of Alex Seropian. He left the studio he created as a result of the new work conditions/restrictions. He was NOT happy with Halo1 when it was released, He felt it was incomplete. (bungie) And as a result Halo2 showed. Halo2 was paled in comparison to the original, showing how imporant of a role he played in the creation of the original. Halo2 was nothing but a cash cow. The creator of halo did NOT create Halo2.

I can go on all day about games, and who makes them. I will say this much. If one of the big names that I love, make a game. Chances are I will buy it, and love it. As no matter what budget, no matter what the game is. They will always create a great game. Wether it be a new franchise, or a old one. Just becuase Bill Roper did an AMAZING job making the original Diablo, His name is on Diablo2 just as much as the first, but if you look at his job, he was not the man in charge. And I felt Diablo2 was crap compared to the original. I knew about flagship studios, the company he created within days of being announced. I like to keep tabs on the guys I like. I love the games they make. Just becuase his name is in the credits, does NOT mean he made the game. Just becuase he created the series does NOT mean he still creates the games.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

ckmlb said:
Biggerboat said:

I agree, I'm sure the same attitude is being shown towards Soul Caliber Legends even though it is, if I've read correctly, being made by some of Namco's best people including the director of the traditional SC games.

Is Soul Calibur Legends not a spin off? Is the real Soul Calibur game, the fighting game sequel, not going to other consoles and not the Wii? That is the definition of a spin off. 

I understand what you're saying but why is a spin off instantly associated with a drop in quality? It is true that if the Katamari team is working on a new PS3 game that there is every reason to hope that it will be of the same high quality as their previous project so why isn't the same assumed about SCL? Is a team unable to make 2 good games in different genres set in the same universe?

I own Mario Strikers, is it a spin-off? Yes. Is it a good game? Damn straight it is.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Around the Network
ckmlb said:

I don't know why you didn't notice the little winkey face ( ;) ) that I put at the end of the sentence.  It means "Don't take very word in the previous sentence literally. It is meant for humour value with perhaps a kernel of truth."

In other words, I was making light of the double standards that many PS3 owners tend to employ. If you wish to take each word completely literally and attack the semantics of my post rather than the meaning, then fine, go ahead. I can't argue with you there. But if you would take the time toread the intent of my post without attacking the semantics (which many other people have managed) then you will find yourself attacked less often.

And don't think I agree with that viewpoint anyway. Give me completely original games over tired sequels of well known franchises any day. I was simply showing the inherant double standards.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Kwaad said:
ckmlb said:

Is the creator of Katamari working on the new Katamari?

Nope, he didn't work one the last either, the PSP one, which may be why it wasn't anywher near as good as the first 2. I am quite excited about this game, hopefully Takahashi stays true to his concept of making games that are simple, silly fun.

Biggerboat said:

I understand what you're saying but why is a spin off instantly associated with a drop in quality? It is true that if the Katamari team is working on a new PS3 game that there is every reason to hope that it will be of the same high quality as their previous project so why isn't the same assumed about SCL? Is a team unable to make 2 good games in different genres set in the same universe?

I own Mario Strikers, is it a spin-off? Yes. Is it a good game? Damn straight it is.

I never mentioned a spin off automatically means quality lost, but I can't think of a spin off right now that was better than the original game or series. This doesn't mean it can't be good of course. I expect RE: UC and Mario Strikers to be good games and they are spin offs, still if I had to choose I would rather have Mario Galaxy and RE 5. The main series are better.

Beyond that, I don't like companies using a brand name on a multitude of totally different games. If they come up with God of War table tennis I would not be very happy with that naming or theme.

Also, I don't have too high expectations from SCL after Dead to Rights a similar venture from the same company done with the Tekken franchise before, but I can't write it off till I actually play it I could be totally off. Still the Soul Calibur game that I want most is IV not Legends. 

ckmlb said:
DarkNight_DS said:
ckmlb said:
Well that's what they're doing. The Katamari creator and Namco are bringing this new game to PS3.

Namco HAS to produce a certain amount of games for the PS3... it's part of their contract with Sony, they got payed to do this before the PS3 started having problems (sales wise). Remember the Ken Kutaragi deal?? This game is being made to uphold their end of the deal. So I expect at least another 4 games from Namco for the PS3. The sooner they make the games... the sooner they can walk away from the system.

So I can quote you that after Tekken 6, this and Soul Calibur IV and one other game there will be no more Namco games on the PS3?

You seem to have a lot of inside information on Namco and such tell us more. It seems that the PS3 is definitely doomed as everyone is walking away from it... 

Yeesh, this thread has already seen it's fair amount of hyperbole. But anyways, am I the only one that remembers when Namco Bandai made the announcement that the PS3 wasn't selling as well as they'd hoped? In that press release they included the amount of games they were developing for each system. 

The company sure does make a hell of a lot of games! but the PS3 was seeing the least at 26. The Wii number was something like 42, and even the Xbox was getting somewhere in the 30's. Of course I'm sure many of those games were just in the planning stages with one or two people working on them. 

So regardless of this announcement, the Wii is seeing the most namco bandai support and the PS3 is seeing the least, but all platforms are still being fairly well supported

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Looks like a cool game. Why did this turn into a spin off thread??

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.