By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should the PSP be viewed as a succes or a failure?

ckmlb said:
Avalach21 said:
ckmlb said:
I don't think it's logical to say the PSP didn't get some customers that would have formerly bought the Nintendo hand held if there was no other option.

That isn't the question. The question is, do you think Nintendo has offset (by a large,...no HUGE margain) the amount of customers they lost (to Sony) by bringing in new customers to the market?

That wasn't the question, the question is: Is the PSP a failure?

Also I want links that show Sony is losing money on PSPs sold. 

Alright the topic of the thread is, "Is the PSP a failure?"  You always focus on the most trivial of things.  It just goes to show how much you grasp for an argument.

I was merely pointing out that yeah of course the PSP took some customers, but that doesn't really matter since it is easily negated by the amount of newcomers Nintendo has brought into the market.  I was merely using a common structure of the english language used to illustrate a point.  I was undermining your point by providing the greater question that applies moreso over yours and the structure of saying "That isn't the question, the real question is...." is quite common.  You don't need to point out irrelevant and trivial things.  It just hinders the discussion.

If someone wants to get some links for him go for it.  I don't have the time to look through google.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Avalach21 said:

PSP HAS outsold the:

Gamecube (21.6 million)

Saturn (10 million)

Dreamcast (10.6 million)

Wonderswan and Wonderswan color (no idea, but obviously has...)

Ngage (obviously, again, no idea.)

Wii (of course)

Xbox 360 (of course)

oh yeah and what a surprise! you forgot the PS3.

PSP has NOT outsold the:

Xbox (24 million)

N64 (32.93 million)

SNES (49 million)

PS1 (102.49 million...?)(why did u even bother puting this on there...?)

Gameboy (69.42 million)

Again, I'd like to stress that mere hardware numbers do not indicate the success or failure of a console.

The PSP will go on to outsell the Xbox and the N64.

Xbox I am sure of that, I GUESS it will sell more than the N64 to.

ckmlb said:
Avalach21 said:

PSP HAS outsold the:

Gamecube (21.6 million)

Saturn (10 million)

Dreamcast (10.6 million)

Wonderswan and Wonderswan color (no idea, but obviously has...)

Ngage (obviously, again, no idea.)

Wii (of course)

Xbox 360 (of course)

oh yeah and what a surprise! you forgot the PS3.

PSP has NOT outsold the:

Xbox (24 million)

N64 (32.93 million)

SNES (49 million)

PS1 (102.49 million...?)(why did u even bother puting this on there...?)

Gameboy (69.42 million)

Again, I'd like to stress that mere hardware numbers do not indicate the success or failure of a console.

The PSP will go on to outsell the Xbox and the N64.

cool.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Avalach21 said:
ckmlb said:
Avalach21 said:
ckmlb said:
I don't think it's logical to say the PSP didn't get some customers that would have formerly bought the Nintendo hand held if there was no other option.

That isn't the question. The question is, do you think Nintendo has offset (by a large,...no HUGE margain) the amount of customers they lost (to Sony) by bringing in new customers to the market?

That wasn't the question, the question is: Is the PSP a failure?

Also I want links that show Sony is losing money on PSPs sold. 

If someone wants to get some links for him go for it.  I don't have the time to look through google.

So you are saying you are posting bullshit that you can't find on the internet?

If someone wants to get some links for him go for it. I don't have the time to look through google.

You must be a very busy man to not have time to google but to post stuff in a forum at the same time, but I digress. I don't want links from a while ago, I want recent links with the current costs to make a PSP and the pricing of the machine. I'm pretty certain they make money off of it.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

I am pretty sure his next comment will be:

My mom's nephew his son haves a gf who's daddy have a broter who read it on the internet and he told me that X_X.

konnichiwa said:
HappySqurriel said:

The low hardware and software sales coupled with the failure of UMD means that, when compared to certain people's expectations (Sony, Analyst, Publisher [EA], and fans) the PSP is a failure ...

It sold more than many thought if I watch my words back from 2005 then I read that I said "it will sell around 30 million in 5 years of his existence.  What were the hardware sales of the Analysts?

UMD is a failure strange that people think this could be a succes :s. 

Personally, I remember many analysts and Sony fans claim that the PSP would surpass the sales of the GBA because it combined the popular Gameboy with the popular iPod; at the same time Sony defined it as the 'Walkman of the 21st century.' Even EA heavily supported the PSP and (basically) abandoned the DS because they believed the PSP was the safer bet.

UMD was expected to be popular (once again) by Sony, movie studios, analysts and fans ...

HappySqurriel said:
konnichiwa said:
HappySqurriel said:

The low hardware and software sales coupled with the failure of UMD means that, when compared to certain people's expectations (Sony, Analyst, Publisher [EA], and fans) the PSP is a failure ...

It sold more than many thought if I watch my words back from 2005 then I read that I said "it will sell around 30 million in 5 years of his existence.  What were the hardware sales of the Analysts?

UMD is a failure strange that people think this could be a succes :s. 

Personally, I remember many analysts and Sony fans claim that the PSP would surpass the sales of the GBA because it combined the popular Gameboy with the popular iPod; at the same time Sony defined it as the 'Walkman of the 21st century.' Even EA heavily supported the PSP and (basically) abandoned the DS because they believed the PSP was the safer bet.

UMD was expected to be popular (once again) by Sony, movie studios, analysts and fans ...

Hmm yeah about the walkman part I have heard that to but that is typical marketing talk it would be strange
if Sony said we will not be the walkman of the 21 century :s;

UMD was still some kind of popular and I guess Movie studios made profit with it maybe Sony to I am not sure about that.   Strange that analysts thought it would be a succes :s.

I don't have many friends who are analysts but all the people I know said it will just be cool for some part of the market but it will never be super like Sony wanted it.

ckmlb said:

If someone wants to get some links for him go for it. I don't have the time to look through google.

You must be a very busy man to not have time to google but to post stuff in a forum at the same time, but I digress. I don't want links from a while ago, I want recent links with the current costs to make a PSP and the pricing of the machine. I'm pretty certain they make money off of it.

If you want make just as much of a claim, then it is just as much your duty to find links to support your claim as mine or anyone else.  In  fact, I don't even believe I even explicitly said anywhere in this thread that the PSP sells at a loss, so that's why I was suggesting that someone else find the links, since someone else made the claim, not myself.  I'm actually going out for a couple hours right now to play hockey with my friends, that's why I don't have time to sift through google results.  I will get back to you guys in a couple hours! 

c u later ckmlb!

I am a Sony hater, but you cannot in any way look at what the PSP has done and conclude that it is a failure. A disappointment? Maybe, depending on what you expected in the first place.

Many companies have tried to tackle the GameBoy's dominance (don't tell me DS ain't a game boy - it's by Nintendo, it plays GBA games, so it's part of the legacy). While the PSP hasn't done that, it is the first opponent that has not been completely crushed.