By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Square Gains Weight, Intrigued By Wii Balance Board

Fonzerelli said:
yeah, gas and brake is an amzing possibility with the wii wheel for steering.
But seriously the wii wheel needs to have some other function other than a plastic shell.

from what i can see the wii board has only 2 sensors. maybe 2 boards side by side would make a wireless DDR board with 4 sensors.

Well now you mention the DDR dance mat, it was nothing more than a giant D-pad. The Wii board is in fact nothing more than 2 giant buttons with never before seen pressure sensitivity. Basically everything that requires two extra buttons or just those two giant buttons can be implemented for more gaming-immersion and more...

DDR with 2 or why not more Wii boards sounds like big fun. But remember the Wii board can measure your body movements so it goes deeper than moving your feets rythmically. A Wii board DDR game could tell you to sway your hips, turn around, lean forward, kick or something,... Hey you can even use the nunchuck and Wiimote to shake your hands.

But all is just wishfull thinking untill the success of Wii fit is proven. Not that I don't doubt it's success. There are probably more fitness videos sold than mario games (kidding).

Around the Network

Can the fit board detect leaning forwards and backwards? That'd make for an interesting light-gun shooter. I've played one from Konami that used a motion sensing camera that had you actually duck and dodge to evade incoming fire. It wouldn't be as great, but I'm sure you could probably do something similar in that regard.

Joemanji said:
Just an idea of how the Wii board can be used in an RPG, or any fighting system for that matter.

Because it measures the pressure on the board, different pressures could result in different attacks. The amount of pressure can be translated into different speeds of attacks, different strenghts of attacks... the possibilities are endless. It can be used as a gas and brake in racing games!!!

It is able to measure pressure and pinpoint the center of gravity. It uses this to tell your basic stance. If you swing to the left your bodys center of gravity swings left etc. I coudl see it being used with a wii mote and numchuck to execute commands like dodge lean back while highlighting the guy you wish to dodge, lean forward to physical attack and so forth. the possibilities are there but before they even start working on that I think if it isn't a skateboard/surfing/skiing/snowboarding game Developers should work on nailing down how to properly utilize the Wii Mote first.

redspear said:
Joemanji said:
Just an idea of how the Wii board can be used in an RPG, or any fighting system for that matter.

Because it measures the pressure on the board, different pressures could result in different attacks. The amount of pressure can be translated into different speeds of attacks, different strenghts of attacks... the possibilities are endless. It can be used as a gas and brake in racing games!!!

It is able to measure pressure and pinpoint the center of gravity. It uses this to tell your basic stance. If you swing to the left your bodys center of gravity swings left etc. I coudl see it being used with a wii mote and numchuck to execute commands like dodge lean back while highlighting the guy you wish to dodge, lean forward to physical attack and so forth. the possibilities are there but before they even start working on that I think if it isn't a skateboard/surfing/skiing/snowboarding game Developers should work on nailing down how to properly utilize the Wii Mote first.

Yeah my other reply should clear that out, but I like your ideas as well. The possibilities are endless. I also agree with you on the Wiimote, we will probably have to wait for the 2nd generation of games for 3rd party games to utilize the Wiimote better. But with the shorter development cylus the next generation of games should arrive sooner than expected. Hence Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 is already on it's way haha.

how much is it going to cost ??
60$ for just Wii Board might be too much
60$ Wiiboard + Game might be a better offer
40$ wii board without game

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

Around the Network

Joemanji said:

Yeah my other reply should clear that out, but I like your ideas as well. The possibilities are endless. I also agree with you on the Wiimote, we will probably have to wait for the 2nd generation of games for 3rd party games to utilize the Wiimote better. But with the shorter development cylus the next generation of games should arrive sooner than expected. Hence Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 is already on it's way haha.

So is Red Steel 2 even though Ubisoft denied it it is coming out for the Wii and is in development. I can't say it is any good. the only person I know who works for Ubisoft is one of the guys who designs boxart and is not really involved in the development process except to let him know hey we are making this game and here is what we would liek to see.

What I want to know is how does the WiiBoard communicate with the Wii? Bluetooth, USB, GC port? Because if it takes the spot of the Wiimote, then that definitely limits the possibilities...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
What I want to know is how does the WiiBoard communicate with the Wii? Bluetooth, USB, GC port? Because if it takes the spot of the Wiimote, then that definitely limits the possibilities...

If I was a guessing man, I'd say Bluetooth. And, can't the bluetooth receiver accept up to 7 inputs?

Well then 4 player games could have...4 Wiimotes, and...3 WiiBoards...?

I can't see that working...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Well then 4 player games could have...4 Wiimotes, and...3 WiiBoards...?

I can't see that working...

maybe they could limit it to 2 Wii boards + 2 wii motes or 4 Wii boards only. Game companies are issued standards by console manufactuerers that have to be met in order to get licensed for sale. So implementing that standard could help make the games more steady.