By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Nancy Pelosi needs to be fired.

Sqrl said:

You're the one who brought the quote up, it's your job to bring the link as well if someone asks, thats how forums work.  You could have grabbed one article and I could end up grabbing another..then we argue about a completely different article and waste time for both of us.

Of course in this case I already knew the comment you were citing was out of context.

I don't see much difference between a link and a google search in which the first result has the information you asked for, but if you want to call that "abandoning the constructive angle", go ahead... It's still miles ahead of the ones saying there were "trade missions with many countries" while only giving one proven example.

@Kasz216: I can't find any information about those talks with Finland... When was that? The line about Russia says she talked to a politician from Russia once, but it was not a trade mission.

It's also rather funny that the article you linked to says the following:

"But so far, in her first 21 months of office, Palin has balked at grabbing that opportunity"

"Her critics say that Palin has shied away from launching any major initiatives in Russian diplomacy despite Alaska's historic ties with Russia."

"They talked about the struggles of the Arctic's native people and the possibility of Palin visiting the other side of the Bering Strait."

I guess this means there's still no evidence of trade missions to Russia.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
totalwar23 said:
Kasz216 said:

John McCain never actually said the UN should pass resolutions against Russia.  He said the UN should draft up a bunch of resolutions against Russia, that Russia would then veto to embaress Russia on the world stage.

Which is quite similar.  Though somewhat different as one gives you the idea he knows how the UN works.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080811/pl_politico/19061_1

John McCain knows that said resolution won't pass but thinks it's a good idea for political gain... vs Obama who thinks the UN can actually get something done.

I doubt that very much. There was nothing to stop the Russian agression against Georgia. However, both wanted to appear statesmanlike and "on the situation" without actually doing anything, because they can't. In the end, it didn't matter, did it as they weren't involve in the situation.

Did you real the article?  McCain says we should go through with the resolution despite Russian veto threats.

In otherwords... knowing they were going to veto it.

Everybody knows that Russia would veto anything brought up against them. That's not some secret UN inside information, man. Both of them, Obama and McCain, as they were running for President call for UN resolutions as they wanted to appear Presidential, stay on top of the situation, but both knew there was nothing to be done to stop the Russian agression. What you're doing is opinionating (like I am, I admit) that Obama is this naive guy who lives in a world of puppies and sunshines while McCain was hatching a plan to embarass Russia. The Georgia conflict came up in the campaign and they both said their piece. Have we heard anything about Georgia, anymore? The news has already passed both are now talking about the economy saying whatever they have to say.

totalwar23 said:
Sqrl said:

Well lets do a small comparison:

Just curious were you aware of Obama's previous executive experience in which he was given $110 million to spend on Chicago schools to improve them from last in the nation?  I would assume not since the CAC's own investigation into their results found they had little or no impact.  On the other hand Palin negotiated a nearly $40 billion pipeline running through Canada (requires negotiations with Canada) with terms so good for Alaskans that people told her initially that it could never be done.

PS - A highly edited daily show video isn't exactly giving me the context of the comment, it gives me the context that John Stuart finds is most funny.  Considering he is a liberal I think we can both agree how useless the video is at providing the context for the comment.  And of course Kasz has already pointed out more of the context anyways.

Negotiations with Canada to get a pipeline through their soil? You're kidding me right? How hard must you pissed off the Canadians before they walk away from negotiations? Alaska is rediculously wealthy in oil, with an extremly low population to the point where taxes aren't even a big deal. Just how much executive experience do you need to run Alaska? I won't mention the scandal everyone else has mention about her which you already know.

That clip shows John McCain calling for the UN to draft up a resolution which is precisely what you wanted to know, context or not. And Kasz merely interpretated the context, as did I. The facts are, both called for a UN resolution for the situation in Georgia but the thing is, it currently is not their responsibility to start calling up actions. Bush is still president, like it or not, and it's his administration's job.

Well if context isn't important then I have a clip I'd like to show you were Obama admits he is muslim...of course context is important, and Obama never said that. The point is that it's just not important to you right now when it serves your point.

So no comment on the ~$110 million Obama spent with no effect?

As for the Canadian negotiations, what exactly makes you think they were such a cake walk?  Do you honestly think they would let a multi-billion dollar project come through their land without trying to put the screws to her for their slice of the pie?  Of course you're correct that Canada was probably the easier of the two negotiators to deal with.  The Oil Companies probably put up one hell of a fight..but we know how that turned out for them.

PS - Which scandal are you referring to?  There have been plenty of accusations so its hard to be sure.

To Each Man, Responsibility
NJ5 said:
Sqrl said:

You're the one who brought the quote up, it's your job to bring the link as well if someone asks, thats how forums work.  You could have grabbed one article and I could end up grabbing another..then we argue about a completely different article and waste time for both of us.

Of course in this case I already knew the comment you were citing was out of context.

I don't see much difference between a link and a google search in which the first result has the information you asked for, but if you want to call that "abandoning the constructive angle", go ahead... It's still miles ahead of the ones saying there were "trade missions with many countries" while only giving one proven example.

@Kasz216: I can't find any information about those talks with Finland... When was that? The line about Russia says she talked to a politician from Russia once, but it was not a trade mission.

"But so far, in her first 21 months of office, Palin has balked at grabbing that opportunity"

"Her critics say that Palin has shied away from launching any major initiatives in Russian diplomacy despite Alaska's historic ties with Russia."

"They talked about the struggles of the Arctic's native people and the possibility of Palin visiting the other side of the Bering Strait."

Like i said.  It was an amusing bit of an attack ad that actually proves she's had some political contact and negotiations with Russians... by complaining hse hasn't done it enough.

It proves she has had political contact with them however... because they are so close together they need to negotiate.

Basically it proves the whole "Foreign policy expierence because we're right next door to russia and other countries" comment correct.

totalwar23 said:
Kasz216 said:
totalwar23 said:

I doubt that very much. There was nothing to stop the Russian agression against Georgia. However, both wanted to appear statesmanlike and "on the situation" without actually doing anything, because they can't. In the end, it didn't matter, did it as they weren't involve in the situation.

Did you real the article?  McCain says we should go through with the resolution despite Russian veto threats.

In otherwords... knowing they were going to veto it.

Everybody knows that Russia would veto anything brought up against them. That's not some secret UN inside information, man. Both of them, Obama and McCain, as they were running for President call for UN resolutions as they wanted to appear Presidential, stay on top of the situation, but both knew there was nothing to be done to stop the Russian agression. What you're doing is opinionating (like I am, I admit) that Obama is this naive guy who lives in a world of puppies and sunshines while McCain was hatching a plan to embarass Russia. The Georgia conflict came up in the campaign and they both said their piece. Have we heard anything about Georgia, anymore? The news has already passed both are now talking about the economy saying whatever they have to say.

It's no opinionating... I'm taking both candidates at there word.

Obama said "The UN should pass a resolution to condemn russia."

McCain said "The UN should go foward with resolutions against Russia despite there threats of vetoing to put them up on the world stage."

You don't see that as two different talking points?

McCain also just talked about Georgia like... last week a day or two before the debate.

Also I still like how this became about Palin when in reality the thread is about Pelosi saying she wants "Equal political coverage" then trying to pull that coverage away at the last moment.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
NJ5 said:
Sqrl said:

Like i said.  It was an amusing bit of an attack ad that actually proves she's had some political contact and negotiations with Russians... by complaining hse hasn't done it enough.

It proves she has had political contact with them however... because they are so close together they need to negotiate.

Basically it proves the whole "Foreign policy expierence because we're right next door to russia and other countries" comment correct.

It seems I have to repeat myself... In no way does that prove there were any negotiations with Russians. She "talked" to a Russian politician and discussed the "possibility" of her visiting Russia (which didn't happen).

That doesn't count as "trade missions to Russia" and barely "negotiations" at all, so allow my BS detector to remain at a high level on this point.

What about the Finland thing though?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Sqrl said:
totalwar23 said:
Sqrl said:

Just curious were you aware of Obama's previous executive experience in which he was given $110 million to spend on Chicago schools to improve them from last in the nation?  I would assume not since the CAC's own investigation into their results found they had little or no impact.  On the other hand Palin negotiated a nearly $40 billion pipeline running through Canada (requires negotiations with Canada) with terms so good for Alaskans that people told her initially that it could never be done.

PS - A highly edited daily show video isn't exactly giving me the context of the comment, it gives me the context that John Stuart finds is most funny.  Considering he is a liberal I think we can both agree how useless the video is at providing the context for the comment.  And of course Kasz has already pointed out more of the context anyways.

Negotiations with Canada to get a pipeline through their soil? You're kidding me right? How hard must you pissed off the Canadians before they walk away from negotiations? Alaska is rediculously wealthy in oil, with an extremly low population to the point where taxes aren't even a big deal. Just how much executive experience do you need to run Alaska? I won't mention the scandal everyone else has mention about her which you already know.

That clip shows John McCain calling for the UN to draft up a resolution which is precisely what you wanted to know, context or not. And Kasz merely interpretated the context, as did I. The facts are, both called for a UN resolution for the situation in Georgia but the thing is, it currently is not their responsibility to start calling up actions. Bush is still president, like it or not, and it's his administration's job.

Well if context isn't important then I have a clip I'd like to show you were Obama admits he is muslim...of course context is important, and Obama never said that. The point is that it's just not important to you right now when it serves your point.

As for the Canadian negotiations, what exactly makes you think they were such a cake walk?  Do you honestly think they would let a multi-billion dollar project come through their land without trying to put the screws to her for their slice of the pie?  Of course you're correct that Canada was probably the easier of the two negotiators to deal with.  The Oil Companies probably put up one hell of a fight..but we know how that turned out for them.

PS - Which scandal are you referring to?  There have been plenty of accusations so its hard to be sure.

I don't think you can make the assumption that negotiations with the Canadian government would be easy ...

You're dealing with a country where you would have to get consensus between the federal government, provincial/teritorial governments, and native governments. At the same time, all of these governments will be dealing with the outrage of dozens of environmental groups.

NJ5 said:
Kasz216 said:
NJ5 said:
Sqrl said:

It seems I have to repeat myself... In no way does that prove there were any negotiations with Russians. She "talked" to a Russian politician and discussed the "possibility" of her visiting Russia (which didn't happen).

That doesn't count as "trade missions to Russia" and barely "negotiations" at all, so allow my BS detector to remain at a high level on this point.

What about the Finland thing though?

Like i orignally said.  It was in every article except the one you pulled.  Nor did I say trade relations mattered.  I was talking about her statmenet that saying you live next to Russia and other countires is a stupid reason for saying your expierenced in foreign policy when your the head executive of the state.

Though I was wrong in that it was  Iceland not Finland.

Palin spokesman Bill McAllister said she met with Iceland's president, Olafur Ragnar Grimsson last fall, and they discussed energy issues. She also has met with various trade delegations during her two years in office.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080926/ap_on_el_pr/palin

So it's fairly obvious she does have some foreign policy expierence... due to Alaskas geographical location.

The unreasonable through a politically biased eye... is reasonable when looked at objectivly.

Sqrl said:
totalwar23 said:
Sqrl said:

So no comment on the ~$110 miullion Obama spent with no effect?

My point is that McCain called for the UNSC to to start drafting up resolutions against Russia, which has already been established. I pick the first vid off the internet I found where it showed him saying such a thing. If you doubt its accuracy, why don't you show me a source which says he said no such thing? You show me a clip where Obama says he's a muslim and I show a source which says it isn't true.

What do you want to say about $110 million dollar thing? Actually, what is your point? He's a complete failure there?

I didn't say the Canadians were a cakewalk but what were you trying to say about the Canadians negotations? Palin succeeded there so she was a superb leader? Let Obama and Palin switch roles. Would Obama fail at negotiating with the Canadians and would Palin succeed in reforming the Chicago schools systems?

Yeah, there's been plenty of accusations. That alone is incredibly tiring.

HappySqurriel said:
Sqrl said:

I don't think you can make the assumption that negotiations with the Canadian government would be easy ...

You're dealing with a country where you would have to get consensus between the federal government, provincial/teritorial governments, and native governments. At the same time, all of these governments will be dealing with the outrage of dozens of environmental groups.

I agree with you, my point was that the Oil companies were probably the tougher of the two to deal with, not that Canada was easy.

To Each Man, Responsibility