By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 to outsell the ps3 again in Japan?

mrstickball said:
Everstar said:
Yes i believe it will. People are saying there are shortages but i have no proof of that

It's sold out (the X360).

Here's a few posts from the X360 thread '360's sold out in Japan?'

Hello, sorry I hadn't been out to any stores lately which is why I didn't update this.

Anyway, I checked out the two largest stores in my city again earlier today. At the one below(the biggest store) all three models were SOLD OUT. The Red sticker above the big arrow pointing down is the sold out sign. The arrow pointing down means the price went down of course.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/smbu2000/misc/NEC_0056.jpg (larger size version of the pic)

From Sinobi:

From sinobi:

お近くに量販店がある方はもうお気づきのことと思うが
先週の値下げ以降、Xbox360の売り場が急拡大している。
ショップによって多少の差はあるものの、平均して2倍から3倍に拡張されており
11月20日に発売予定の「ラスト レムナント」と共に
秋商戦の要と考えているショップも多いようだ。
ちなみに、先週の販売台数は約1.3万台。
拮抗しているPS3を2週続けて上回っている。

"If you have a (I think this is the right translation) large retailer near you, you've probably already noticed, but ever since the price drop last week the Xbox 360 sections have grown tremendously. There are minor differences from store to store, but it appears on average the sections have been expanded 2 to 3 times. With the 11/20 release of 'The Last Remnant' it appears many shops are gearing up for the fall shopping season. Also, the sales last week were 13k. For the 2nd week in row, it has beaten it's rival, the PS3."

And FinalEvangelion's anecdotal report:

I went to some stores around my smallish city of Kumamoto.

The 360s were completely sold out of all three models where I went. MS seems to be having a shortage again.  Wiis and PS3s are very well in stock, though.

So with information like that, it falls back on the "What is constraining X360 supply in Japan?" argument: retailers, distributors, Microsoft, or actual production/transportation of the X360.

those pic are 3 week old.

Around the Network
Jo21 said:

Your powers of observation are stunning.

The thread is 3 weeks old. The posts were all within a few days of yesterday. The pictures smbu took are new, and an update from his previous ones. Said pics are 5 days old, if that. Look at the thread before you post.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

It's not that hard for a system to do well in Japan, or any country, really (provided there aren't strange circumstances such as mainland Europe's dislike of the X360 due to their hatred of Microsoft and their quality controls).

Was this really necessary? As I've said before: Most people here just prefer a PS3 over a Xbox. Hatred really doesn't have much to do with it. (edit: and once again, your post contains some sort of bash towards the ps3 or its users.  Other people can't say something like this because they can't generalize an entire continent or they are trolling or baiting...)

pap - Why do they prefer the PS3 over X360, then?

On the main page.

@Kane.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Jo21 said:

Your powers of observation are stunning.

The thread is 3 weeks old. The posts were all within a few days of yesterday. The pictures smbu took are new, and an update from his previous ones. Said pics are 5 days old, if that. Look at the thread before you post.

im getting so fucking sick of mods on this site acting like little boys.

OT: the sources previews are such a crapshoot.....no one knows, im not going to try to act like i know like some people but it should be interesting.

mrstickball said:

I have already given that explanation (for as far as I can give it) in another thread:

- Image of quality

- brand recognition

- PS is advertized here way more

(smaller things may be "word of mouth" / "more to offer" / "free online")

mrstickball said:
Goddbless said:
A year ago this would have been an easy question but now it actually has merit. Things change so quickly in this industry.

It's not so much that things change quickly, as it is that Microsoft did what was needed to make themselves competitive...Unlike last generation.

It's not that hard for a system to do well in Japan, or any country, really (provided there aren't strange circumstances such as mainland Europe's dislike of the X360 due to their hatred of Microsoft and their quality controls).

If the Playstation 3 had made the same moves - Bought up big 3rd party IPs, made aggressive pricedrops, and marketed properly, they could of been competitive with the Wii, but they didn't. Likewise, if the Wii had done the same, it'd be selling 70,000 a week and not 30,000 a week.

It's all about positioning, and Microsoft is trying to position themselves as the Otaku console in Japan, and not the Playstation 3. And unlike Sony, they are doing a pretty good job at securing a litany of JRPGs, western games, and other niche products that the Wii and PS3 have overlooked.

i find your ignorance disturbing. You think MSFT just goes into some meetings and talks their way into securing SE to release exlusive RPG's on their console? Trusty Bell? Tales? So its the playstations fault that the PS2 was such a success in Europe and people ae comfortable and happy with the name brand....but thats not an actual variable you consider rationally or logically and assume its blind ignorance or hatred toward MSFT?....yet magically the 360 secures loads of RPG's from eastern dev's and secure timed exclusives and even get FF 13 and its "the PS3 overlooking"....give me a fucking break...hows about your post can be summed up liek this.

Europe doesnt settle for shit products and the Playstation brand is proven and strong. and MSFT is throwing pounds of money at japanese devs to stay alive and try to position themselves for next generation in japan. Period.

steverhcp02 said:
mrstickball said:

It's not so much that things change quickly, as it is that Microsoft did what was needed to make themselves competitive...Unlike last generation.

If the Playstation 3 had made the same moves - Bought up big 3rd party IPs, made aggressive pricedrops, and marketed properly, they could of been competitive with the Wii, but they didn't. Likewise, if the Wii had done the same, it'd be selling 70,000 a week and not 30,000 a week.

It's all about positioning, and Microsoft is trying to position themselves as the Otaku console in Japan, and not the Playstation 3. And unlike Sony, they are doing a pretty good job at securing a litany of JRPGs, western games, and other niche products that the Wii and PS3 have overlooked.

i find your ignorance disturbing. You think MSFT just goes into some meetings and talks their way into securing SE to release exlusive RPG's on their console? Trusty Bell? Tales? So its the playstations fault that the PS2 was such a success in Europe and people ae comfortable and happy with the name brand....but thats not an actual variable you consider rationally or logically and assume its blind ignorance or hatred toward MSFT?....yet magically the 360 secures loads of RPG's from eastern dev's and secure timed exclusives and even get FF 13 and its "the PS3 overlooking"....give me a fucking break...hows about your post can be summed up liek this.

Europe doesnt settle for shit products and the Playstation brand is proven and strong. and MSFT is throwing pounds of money at japanese devs to stay alive and try to position themselves for next generation in japan. Period.

No. I never said that Microsoft goes into meetings and secures everything by offering developers nothing.

Part of business is trading goods and services, as well as perks for securing certain products. We know that in Final Fantasy XIII's case, the deal involved Microsoft paying the fees that Sony had put in the contract if Square broke the exclusivity agreement. That was one way that Microsoft made the deal with SE a good one.

My argument was that Microsoft is doing whatever it takes to secure the products - Nintendo and Sony are not at certain levels. Sony, last gen, could do pretty much whatever they wanted to. They had a massive marketshare, so there was relatively little reason they needed to negotiate to get games on their platforms, since developers had an automatic incentive to produce their software on the platform. Likewise, Nintendo has a great deal of force this generation due to their insanely high penetration rate of Nintendo DS handhelds vs. the PSP, and even versus traditional consoles (hence DQIX on DS).

The hard fact is that Sony isn't going into negotiations and doing what Microsoft is, or even Nintendo. If Microsoft is throwing money, giving incentives, or just doing a better job of wooing the developers, they are doing it. Sony's 3rd party exclusive machine went from being the largest force since the NES to being the weakest of the 3 consoles this generation. You can argue what Microsoft is doing, but it's pretty easy to see what Sony is not doing enough to even get a foot in on securing anything in the East or West. Grand Theft Auto. Devil May Cry. Resident Evil. Silent Hill. Final Fantasy. Dragon Quest. I could keep listing games that were PS2-exclusive that they've lost for one reason or another to different companies, but they've done it. Why didn't Sony bother securing Tales of Vesperia before Microsoft? Eternal Sonata? Ridge Racer 6? Infinite Undiscovery?

Also, I don't buy the Playstation 3 brand name argument in Europe. If brand name was such a huge, wonderful point of sales in Europe, then why is the Wii curb stomping both Sony and Microsoft? Every Nintendo system before the Wii did very poorly in the region, yet Nintendo has magically cornered the market in a place that Sony has (according to you) such wonderful brand name recognition. That's what leads me to the whole idea that Europe dislikes the Microsoft corporation, and feel far more burned on the RROD defects than the US did.

papflesje said:
mrstickball said:

I have already given that explanation (for as far as I can give it) in another thread:

- Image of quality

- brand recognition

- PS is advertized here way more

(smaller things may be "word of mouth" / "more to offer" / "free online")

Ah, see?

2 of your 3 of your points were made by myself (of which you attacked), but in the negative tone for Microsoft. While Sony has the image of good quality, Microsoft has RROD. Where Sony has brand recognition in some positive ways, the Xbox 360 may/is associated with the Microsoft corporation. Those were, what I felt, are negative factors for the 360 in Europe.