By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New PES 2009 wii screens and impressions

From neogaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336673

Konami has been showing off the brand new version of Pro Evolution Soccer Wii 2009 at its European Championship event in Rome and we've got new screens and impressions from the first hands-on with the latest code.

The second version of the classic footy title to make it onto Wii, PES 2009 is set to launch in spring next year and like its PS3 and 360 counterparts will feature the newly acquired Champions League license, featuring all the teams and stars from the world's biggest club tournament.

However it's in the area of game control that some intriguing new options are most readily apparent. The Wii controller proved to be an excellent new way of playing football on a console earlier this year, but Konami has added support for the Classic Controller across the board as well as allowing you to tilt the Wii mote sideways to play in this new version.

It works extremely well on initial plays, allowing long-standing PES stalwarts to play alongside Wii players for the very first time and results in some really good quality co-operative gameplay.

Elsewhere there's new defence options controlled via the Nunchuck, improved player AI and an enhanced shooting system which seems more intuitive and a lot of fun, allowing you to bag a whole hat-full of goals.

Our initial impressions of the Wii version are very promising indeed: combining a big name license with a raft of inclusive new control options seems a very smart move indeed and PES 2009 looks like its set to hit the back of the net, when it straps on its boots and makes it debut early next year. - John Houlihan

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

I decided to skip out last years version because i thought that with a totally new control scheme it would take a little time to iron out the kinks. I'll be watching this years version keenly

Despite the fact that the screens have obviously been bumped up in res and assuming they are otherwise unaltered, the game looks pretty nice too.

Haha... I wish I was signed up to GAF, because someone in there said "I wish Wii could output in 1024 X 576"

That is the Wii's standard output in PAL territories and is just SD.

Someone else tell this guy off.

^^Good point, but they still look awefully 'clean' for Wii screens. What did last year's game look like compared to this one?

Last years game was amazing but poor graphics. The crowd were the old 2-d, 4-ish frame cutouts lol. Crowd for one looks 100 times better this year. I put a good 70 hours into the last PES for Wii and it seems like they're really trying to fix the weaknesses it had last year - sometimes poor AI, little control over shooting for goal and also the graphics are looking much better than last years iteration.

Really looking forward to this game. Must buy for me next year.

Around the Network

wait wait wait.... does this mean i can use a gamecube controller? if so, im buying...

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

TWRoO said:
Haha... I wish I was signed up to GAF, because someone in there said "I wish Wii could output in 1024 X 576"

Almost.

PAL Wii's can display in 852x576, but that's on 50Hz and without progressive scan.

Chrizum said:
TWRoO said:

Almost.

PAL Wii's can display in 852x576, but that's on 50Hz and without progressive scan.

That's 4:3 though right?

The Wii does 16:9.... which works out exactly as 1024 X 576. (unless it only does widescreen in 480 modes?)

the one thing that annoys me with PES is the fake team names, damn stupid licenses.

i enjoyed PES2008 on wii, i will get this one too, the graphics seems to be improved, and the added classic controller is great for people who were put off by the new control scheme.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434