By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Turbo lulz for people who want to upgrade easily/buy a cheap gaming PC.

There are a lot of good buys in the pre-config world of PCs. I don't think everyone who's been in the DIY world of system building for any period of time is fully aware of this.

You can typically pick up good deals on previous models as inventory is being cleared out for the next minor upgrade, so a lot of times, shopping for a pre-config system is simple opportunism.

Have a good idea of what config you want in terms of CPU, memory, mobo (compatible with your desired video card upgrade), installed OS, etc. (ignore pre-installed video card you will be replacing) and buy when you find the fire sale bargain on the system closest to your specifications.

Then pick up your video card when the price/performance is to your taste, preferably when NewEgg or whoever, is doing a sale or rebate, or both.

2 RAM slots is less of an issue (bus speed/RAM compatibility more important), as is one 12v rail (you'll only be using one for the video card upgrade), and even the HDMI out (probably on the video card you're presumably replacing) if you're sticking with the pre-config memory set up.

Point to take home: avoid buying a pre-config system without the right amount/speed RAM you wanted in the first place.

Around the Network

Couple of thinks I perfer about the Compaq over the Acer.

That looks pretty easy to work with, and it doesn't void your warranty when you open it. Also, if you leave that door ajar, your heating problems would never be an issue, assuming you live in an air conditioned household.

I also found out that it has a 250w power supply, but that should be plenty if you're just planning on putting that card in that Squilliam linked, and taking the preinstalled one out. Actually, both of them have 250w power supplies.

However, in the Compaq under mobo, it says:

Motherboard
Chipset NVIDIA nForce 430

Does that mean an ATI card won't work with that computer?

Now, the Acer looks familiar inside as well.

It comes with some fair recommendations as well as far as upgrading for gaming.

However, their customer support is notoriously bad, and you have to pay extra for the recovery disc, even though the PC does seem a little superior, I'm also a little worried about power supply, so the less I would be pushing it the better, thus the Compaq still seems like the better and safer choice, but then there's bloatware and I don't know which is better. Apparently, Acer has very little of that stuff on it.

also, ding, 5000 posts.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

@ Zenfolder the Acer system comes with the far superior 780g chipset (They don't even compare the Nv 430 with it if that gives you any indication) It also has a PCI-X x1 slot and its more upgradeable with 4 ram slots vs two. So its probably a better overall system than the Compaq and it comes with an HDMI port so you can retire it for use as a home theatre PC if you want.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
@ Zenfolder the Acer system comes with the far superior 780g chipset (They don't even compare the Nv 430 with it if that gives you any indication) It also has a PCI-X x1 slot and its more upgradeable with 4 ram slots vs two. So its probably a better overall system than the Compaq and it comes with an HDMI port so you can retire it for use as a home theatre PC if you want.

...but does it have a PCI x16 slot, cause that's what it takes to run that card, also is 250w power supply enough for all that computer, plus a new videocard replacement?

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Squilliam said:

...but does it have a PCI x16 slot, cause that's what it takes to run that card, also is 250w power supply enough for all that computer, plus a new videocard replacement?

http://www.nvidia.com/page/gpu_mobo_tech_specs.html

Geforce = PCI-E Version 1 x 16. (Adequate - most cards don't push the bus until you get up to the extreme high end anyway like the 4870 X2.

780g = PCI-E Version 2 x 16 So its a bit better and the overall chipset features are superior. FYI its considered one of, if not the best chipset for AMD CPUs.

"Intel Core 2 Duo E4500, 4GB Memory, P35 chipset motherboard, ATI Radeon HD 3650, an optical drive, and one hard drive. Outside of perhaps the memory, this is representative of your modern entry-level computer system. At idle, this computer requires around 90W of power. Even when we put the pedal to the metal and put a full load on the graphics card, processor, and optical drive, we still have a total power consumption of only 140W."

That system would not use more than 170W (Adding 30W to be conservative) with a 4670 and thats well within the safety margins of the PSU. At peak load thats 68% of capacity at most which is perfect for what its being asked to do and well within a safety margin.

Tease.

Around the Network

I suppose the power supply I listed is underpowered for a serious gamer, but it should only be about $20 to get a better one on there...it is good to buy a good PSU, but if it's a mid-range system with upgrades unlikely, it can stay under 400W.

And as for Windows, A) Most of my PC building friends just pirate it, but B) Most of my friends also have access to student copies of Vista, which are regular licensed copies of Vista for like $10. I'm not sure of the limit per student, you might only be allowed one or two copies of each Microsoft product.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I'm and Intel/nVidia guy. I have had bad run ins with ATI and AMD is basically good for mid-grade CPUs. High-end CPUs is Intel's market.

nVidia is also the leader of single GPU design. The GT200 destroys ATI's offerings. It is only when you put it against the GPGPUs that the single GPU falls short.

Nahelam + GT??? = awesome. I can't wait for PCI 2.0 to be taken advantage of. The 5GB/s i/o rate will bring things to the next level.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Since I;m here.. wtf is with the new X2 6000+? 89w, 3.1GHz, 1MB L2, 65nm... its crappier then the original yet cooler so it might OC better.... I don't understand why this isnt the 6200+ since its a faster clock.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
I'm and Intel/nVidia guy. I have had bad run ins with ATI and AMD is basically good for mid-grade CPUs. High-end CPUs is Intel's market.

nVidia is also the leader of single GPU design. The GT200 destroys ATI's offerings. It is only when you put it against the GPGPUs that the single GPU falls short.

Nahelam + GT??? = awesome. I can't wait for PCI 2.0 to be taken advantage of. The 5GB/s i/o rate will bring things to the next level.

The way its meant to be played.

ATI Radeon 4870 1gb - $299

ATI Radeon 4870 512 - $255 ($230 after $25 MIR)

GTX 260 $255 ($215 with $40 MIR)

GTX 260 -216 $299 ($279 after $20 MIR)

GTX 280 $420 ($390 with $30 MIR)

Tease.

This thread went from how to build the cheapest game capable rig (or upgrade a pre-config PC for about the same price) to the type of processing power a serious gamer REALLY needs (translation: wants) to properly play the most hardware intensive games currently available.

lol

4870 XFire for me with my next build, 45nm Intel quad core, clock speed pending best deals at the time.

I was actually not blown away by the performance of a single 4870 and could have just as easily gone with a GTX260 and stuck with Nvidia.

Doing a $1500 build Monday, restricted to components purchased in Canada/Toronto. I know I'd be able to build a much better system on the same budget if I were sourcing from NewEgg in the US.