By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - This gen console war is over

Hey this forum is for opinions right? That looks like an opinion. I would say it's too early to make any assertions, but from the looks of it, Microsoft has a good shot at number 2.

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

Around the Network

Nintendo has won. We all know that. They are printing cash.

Microsoft has won. They increased marketshare dramatically and solidifed their spot in the market heading to next gen. They have made their way into people's living rooms and may even turn a profit, even if they do end up 3rd somehow.

Sony could be the big loser. Their development costs were so high, and if Blu-Ray doesn't become a dominant format before the direct-to-viewer download/streamed entertainment hits, they are the big losers. They have dropped considerably in marketshare, and have a LONG way to go before they break even. They could make a run at respectability yet, no doubt. But they are the only company of the big 3 that could be seen as losing this gen. PSP and PS2 is helping soften the blow, but if you look just at PS3 they are pretty sad as of now.

I personally hope they pull through fairly healthy, but I have my doubts. I think they are needed in the market.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

TC is right.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

how will sony catch up? Some people live in a dream world where sony still is on top
I say it again It over. Both M$ amd sony are loser this gen compare to nintendo.

Also everyone that blasted me on this thread (sony fanboys) Explain how sony will somehow have a boom in sales when they have a handful of good games and are not making money. Has sony once won a region over both the wii and 360 yet no.
Has blu ray become the king of all formats no. Does the playstation network still suck compared to xbox live yes. Has sony made any money back no. Let just hope sony can come back in japan after losing two weeks in a row

senortaco said:

True. Closing one of your best studios for cost is a bit queer. But, they are doing additon by subtraction, i.e: Spawnpoint(?) studios. IMO, It would be a mistake for MS to not improve their own offerings.

Of course there are other options to owning your own studios - like money hatting third parties to make you exclusives.

@Xboxfanboy. It's not just Sony fanboys blasting you. It's everybody. The second place is still well and truly up for grabs with the PS3 having a better chance and I say that as a person who prefers the X360.

Around the Network

Threads like this make me smile, some people take these things way too seriously.

For what it's worth, my view is that the Wii is the runaway PS2 style winner of this gen no doubt. 2nd place is too early to tell. We're in the aftermath of a big drop in price for the 360 and so the sales are up and PS3 sales are down a bit.

However, from what I've seen so far the 360 isn't vastly outselling the PS3 despite being much, much cheaper. All we need is for Sony to drop the price and I'm sure the PS3 will be outselling the 360 again, or maybe just give it a few weeks and the 360 sales will be back to where they were before the price cut.

By mid 2009 things will be clearer as far as 2nd place is concerned.

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

xboxfanboy, why not leave VGChartz community and join the Bush administration? IQ would rise everywhere. A definitive win-win situation for everybody.

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.