By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood a 6.5

Mario RPG worked... a Sonic RPG could have as well... if they understood what made sonic... SONIC!

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network

I am playing a game with metareviews of 65% and I am not going to tell you what it is.
It's so bad, it's good.

Galaki said:
I am playing a game with metareviews of 65% and I am not going to tell you what it is.
It's so bad, it's good.

LOL... not hard to tell.  You have your games listed in your bio.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

WRPG devs should not be making turn-based JRPGs.

I was expecting around the 7.5 region.

Ah well....

Around the Network
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
ecurbj said:
Sonic the Hedgehog on PS3/X360--FAIL
Sonic and the Secret Rings on Wii--FAIL
Sonic Chronicles on DS--FAIL

Only thing left is the new Sonic game that will be released on the PS3/Xbox 360.

Sega should just retire the franchise. I gave up on the franchise when it left the Sega Genesis. I knew Sega would use Sonic a lot. So they can be saved in the console wars. But the franchise failed and lost steam. After Sonic the Hedgehog 2, I lost complete interest in the series.

I agree 100%, sept i lost interest on the gamecube version of sonic adventure 2, after that it went downhill imo, Heros,Shadow,etc...

I still have yet to play Sonic the hedgehog on any next gen format, i hear so much negativity about im scared to pick it up for 10 bux on amazon, they say it aint even worth a mc donalds meal. wtf? cant be that bad...can it? O_O

Sonic 06 is one of the BIGGEST trainwrecks I've ever played in the franchise. It isn't just because of the glitches and camera issues. The levels themselves were uninspiring, boring, tedius and pretty terrible. And don't get me started on the Mach Speed sections of the stages... Ugh. Yeah, it's not worth playing the game, stay away from it at all costs. D: I think even Sonic Labyrinth was more enjoyable than that peice of crap.

And on topic... I'm a little disappointed to see Sonic RPG getting a 6.5. *shrugs* I kinda expected it though. To be honest, there hasn't been a single Sonic game that has impressed me since Sonic Adventure 2. (Advance 1 and 3 were decent at least.) (And yes, I've played Rush, Rush Adventure and Secret Rings and I don't think they were great at all.)

I'm going to eventually try out Sonic RPG, because IGN are hard critics if I recall correctly anyhow. The scores on metacritic isn't bad. Last time I've checked, it's a 75.

I see people are still blind, but the gameplay issues that were found in this game are the exact same issues that are in nearly every WRPG, which makes them extremely boring to me.
Yes, even the best ones like Baldur's Gate II suffer from the very same things as this Sonic title.
It's funny that the gritty graphics (what could it be if not the graphics) make people oblivious of these flaws, but as soon as graphics are more colorful, people can see the flaws.
I'm not surprised the slightest.

makingmusic476 said:
WRPG devs should not be making turn-based JRPGs.

But then who will make JRPGs that will appeal more to Western gamers.  Besides, turn based battle systems have been in WRPGs before. cough*previousFalloutgames*cough.

That's surprising. I thought IGN would 7.something Sonic Chronicles. But if I listened to every IGN review I would’ve missed out on some enjoyable games so I'm still buying it.

Although I think people are completely overreacting to the quality of the Sonic franchise. OK I’ll side with those saying Sonic (PS3/360) was a mess, but it’s amazing how quickly people forget the good Sonic titles that have been released since the MegaDrive/Genisis days. What was wrong with Sonic Advance 1/2/3? Sonic Rush? I can understand criticism of the Adventure games & heroes (although I don’t agree), but not the recent handheld entries to the series. Anyway I'm reserving judgment until I've played SC myself.

Some really good WRPG's have had turn based combat, such as fallout. Anachronox was essentially a JRPG in mechanics (at least in regards to its combat). In fact that reminds me. Buy Anachronox.