By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - McCain suspending his campaign

akuma587 said:
We just need a constant webcam streaming of bigjon locked and chained up in a room, and if any of us is in a bad mood we can post in the thread and he will get shocked for 5 seconds. I think that would solve a lot of problems.

Nah. BJ's ai'te. I don't mind him one bit - I just wish folks would hit factcheck.org before spewing nonsense like Obama's a Muslim, trained in a Muslim school or that McCain is an economy expert.

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
I don't know why anti-Palin gets grouped with ultra-liberals though...there's even the most conservative Republicans who agree that Palin is way inexperienced.

Because a large segment of the ultra-liberals are in that anti-Palin group...partisanship demands it. 

The folks who just disagree with her views aren't really anti-Palin anyways though since her views are just conservative views. I disagree with many of her views but I'm certainly not anti-Palin, on the contrary I think she is a breath of fresh air..but then I've actually done my homework on her, Biden,  Obama, and McCain (most folks don't even read the wikipedia entries, which I consider a bare basic minimum).   The anti-palin crowd has more to do with the folks who want to discredit her through whatever means possible.

For instance on the experience issue you brought up, when you get down to it the position many liberals take is actually pretty irrational. Ignoring the facts (which do favor Palin), I have to point out that the idea that we are even making the comparison speaks ill of Obama because of the disparity between their positions on the ticket.  When we have to have a public debate about whether he is more or less qualified for president than the other ticket's VP nominee that is a perception problem for him, whether it is true or not.  To make my point on the perception issue (Source AP):

In your opinion, please tell me whether you think each of the following candidates does or does not have the right type of experience to successfully serve as President of the United States. If you don’t know enough about the person, just let me know.  [emphasis added by Sqrl]
Does Have
Right Type
Does not have
right type
Don't Know
Enough
Don't Know
McCain 80 15 5 *
Palin 41 36 23 1
Obama 46 47 7 1
Biden 58 20 21 1

Notice how many undecided folks there are for Palin and yet she os only 5% behind Obama.  If she gets even a quarter of here undecideds she is tied with him.  And Obama has an 11 point lead in the negative response. The problem?  This poll is for president..and she is only running for VP.

But as I said the facts back her up as well.  While Obama may have more experience practicing law or working within the legistlature he does not have the executive experience she does.  Things like budgeting, executive appointments, working with the legislature from the executive perspective, CoF duties, veto strategy, etc... 

Now folks like to bring up the size of her state and thats all well and good but its really only relevant if Obama had some sort of experience of his own to compare it to (which he does but he doesn't want to talk about the CAC).  The idea that her experience of a relatively low population is somehow trumped by his non-experience is a non-sequitur.  The arguments about the mistakes she has made in office is as well because those are exactly the types of learning experiences that Obama needs to have, it highlights the very problem he has..and that is that you can't just jump into the executive office and run it flawlessly, you're going to make mistakes and is the very reason the office of Governor is looked at like a sort of growth tank for presidential candidates.

I'm not taking the position that it is unreasonable to doubt her qualifications, I think it is reasonable and I have myself (hence the research).  My position is that it is unreasonable to doubt her qualifications without also doubting Obama's because not only does he factually and demonstrably have less but he is also running for a far more demanding position.

To Each Man, Responsibility

obama wishes he has the balls to fill mccain shoes. mccain cares more about this country and is willing to set aside his political aspirations in order to get this bailout passed. mccain went to dcbecause he knew it wouldn't passed and he asked obama to come and guess what obama finally came because the president asked him to come. obama is the biggest idiot and he just doesn't get it. he doesn't get what mccain is all about. mccain cares about the people and tax payers money on this bill and mccain is just the fn man to be the president. galloup pollls show they are both tied and when this is all over mccain will lead and it will never go back. who cares about these fn debates this situation we have on the table is bigger than any debate is. mccain is a genius to go back to dc. the best move since rrod360 got ff80 or whatever it is on. i love it, it is getting better and better.

Kasz216 said:
rocketpig said:
BenKenobi88 said:
I don't know why anti-Palin gets grouped with ultra-liberals though...there's even the most conservative Republicans who agree that Palin is way inexperienced.

Hey, I'm in the "let's rip on Palin" line... I can't stand her. I respect the woman but I hate her stance on most issues, especially social ones.

What I'm talking about are some of the ridiculous accusations and discussions that go on around her. If people want to discuss her policy (what policy she has, that is), I'm all for it. That rarely happens, though. Almost every thread about here turned into a shitstorm and people were creating 4-5 a day for a few weeks.

Yeah, i mean I don't agree with her on any issue that I can think of.  However the closest thing i've seen to an actual debate on her as a candidate is "John McCain picked her only to get womens vote"

Which isn't even true since she had the backing of a lot of prominent conservatives in the VP race like Newt Gingrich.  She didn't come out of nowhere.... she just wasn't covered by the media because she was on the "second tier" of VP candidates.

Actual political debate is a good thing, not stuff about like... people faking pregnancies to assassanate the pope on hitlers birthday.

It's a fair enough point about the early Sara Palin threads.  The whole pregnancy conspiracy theories etc.... but its hard to attack her policies since she doesn't seem to have any other than her social stances - like abstinence only teaching (oppose), anti-women's choice (oppose), no gay marriage (oppose).  And if we get into a thread about any one of those it turns into the bitterly divided hatred both sides have for each other that has spanned many decades already.  None of us are going to convince an opponent of our own viewpoint on any of these issues.  It can't be done, except possibly in the case of preventing abstinence only teaching.

CBS seems to have been lucky enough to get a hold of Palin for a few moments.  I will leave you to watch this video at your leisure - http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4476649n

I mean really?  She was picked to be Vice President of the United States?  Am I living in some kind of fantasy world?  It's just unreal.

There was actually something pretty fishy going on with the Palin family, so the pregnancy conspiracy theory threads were valid until the evidence came out that the conspiracy wasn't true.

And I say that as the person who posted a picture of Palin with a prego belly in that famous thread, thus disproving the conspiracy theory. There were too many weird circumstances that just didn't seem to match up right...so it was totally valid for people to be skeptical.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
There was actually something pretty fishy going on with the Palin family, so the pregnancy conspiracy theory threads were valid until the evidence came out that the conspiracy wasn't true.

And I say that as the person who posted a picture of Palin with a prego belly in that famous thread, thus disproving the conspiracy theory. There were too many weird circumstances that just didn't seem to match up right...so it was totally valid for people to be skeptical.

Watch for a Bristol Palin miscarriage like 2-3 weeks before the election for the sympathy vote.

OT: Can anyone provide me sources where McCain is an economic expert? There was no need for McCain or Obama to be in Washington for this mess. They are just two folks - yeah, they'll be prez one day - but now, they need to debate and focus on winning the election. Let the pros handle the Wall Street fallout.

madskillz, you're not helping. Enough with the conspiracies regarding Palin pregnancies. There are plenty of legitimate arguments against all 4 candidates. Stick to those.

azrm2k said:
madskillz, you're not helping. Enough with the conspiracies regarding Palin pregnancies. There are plenty of legitimate arguments against all 4 candidates. Stick to those.

True, but let me ask you this - why won't she release her medical records? The rest of the candidates have. Why is she given special treatment - a gimped VP debate, no press conference YET, troopergate and 2 mini interviews - and 1 Hannity fluff session.

Fact of the matter is - pics or no pics, produce the medical records. And based on the pull she has in Alaska, I suspect they are doctored too.

All I am saying is - time will tell one way or another.

http://babytrigforobama08.blogspot.com/

Neither McCain or Obama have any say on this bailout. They are not on the senate banking committee. McCain should shut up and let them handle it. He can bitch and moan all he wants. He's supposed so. That's his job. And then he votes on it. He doesn't get to storm into Washington to save the day. He's going there for a photo op.

Also, the Huffington Post called the McCain campaign centers in 15 battleground states today, and all 15 said they're not suspending their campaigning. And they're still accepting donations, and still running commercials, and McCain was on CBS yesterday instead of Letterman, and today he's speaking in New York. Seriously, he hasn't suspended a thing except his appearance on Letterman, and he's just trying to postpone the debate to cancel Palin's debate, because apparently, the media hasn't had enough of a blackout on her. All we get is a new interview where she talks about how close she is to Russia. Again. And defends her stance that she has foreign policy experience.

They're trying to hide her until November.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Neither McCain or Obama have any say on this bailout. They are not on the senate banking committee. McCain should shut up and let them handle it. He can bitch and moan all he wants. He's supposed so. That's his job. And then he votes on it. He doesn't get to storm into Washington to save the day. He's going there for a photo op.

Also, the Huffington Post called the McCain campaign centers in 15 battleground states today, and all 15 said they're not suspending their campaigning. And they're still accepting donations, and still running commercials, and McCain was on CBS yesterday instead of Letterman, and today he's speaking in New York. Seriously, he hasn't suspended a thing except his appearance on Letterman, and he's just trying to postpone the debate to cancel Palin's debate, because apparently, the media hasn't had enough of a blackout on her. All we get is a new interview where she talks about how close she is to Russia. Again. And defends her stance that she has foreign policy experience.

They're trying to hide her until November.

Totally agreed that neither one should have any kind of say.

McCain's whole move was just a ploy as demonstrated by many of the facts you posted if they are true.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson