By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Yous is a word

My whole life I was taught in school and outside that 'yous' is not a word and if you want to address more then one person you say: "you two" or something similar.

Most people I know share this same thought and have been taught that 'yous' is not a word.

Whatever word could replace it? Nothing! It has to exist, it's as stupid as saying 'two' is not a word, you must go the long way about it and say "One plus One Eggs are left in the Fridge".

youse [yooz]
or yous [yooz]
pron
you in plural: used to address more than one person

[Late 19th century. Formed from you .]

And looking further into the word it seems as though 'y-o-u-s-e' is the formal way it is spelt.

Around the Network

it does sound awkward tho..Youse..

Don't rappers usually use it?

Like obie trice in Go to sleep ft Eminem and DMX

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Ya i looked it up, look here =)

[Obie Trice]
We got you n*****, nervous
On purpose, to hurt your focus, you'se not MC's, you'se worthless
You'se not them G's, you'se a circus, you'se no appeal, please
You'se curtains, you use words, cool heard, slurred in two thousand third
You'se purpin, you'se no threat, who's ya servin?

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Neos said:
Ya i looked it up, look here =)

[Obie Trice]
We got you n*****, nervous
On purpose, to hurt your focus, you'se not MC's, you'se worthless
You'se not them G's, you'se a circus, you'se no appeal, please
You'se curtains, you use words, cool heard, slurred in two thousand third
You'se purpin, you'se no threat, who's ya servin?

LOL, I wonder what the comma is meant to be replacing? :P

Sounds like typical thug crap who'd think anything was a word anyway.

You is the plural of You, hence why Yous(e) is considered incorrect. It would be like adding an s to sheep (which I'm reminded of because Yous->Ewes, we aren't sheep :P)

Around the Network

lol.. i believe you are from australia artofangels.. i personally get pissed off when people use youse (that sort of rhymes).. it's just so ........ wrong :P

Luckily not that many people say it anymore, except country folk

Katilian said:
You is the plural of You, hence why Yous(e) is considered incorrect. It would be like adding an s to sheep (which I'm reminded of because Yous->Ewes, we aren't sheep :P)

spot on, I never even heard of yous (from anyone sober), if I say "you rock" I can be talking to one person or two or the hole world, to avoid confusion lots of people say guys as an add-on, hence Eric Cartman says "I hate you guys" (you ((everybody)) could also say "you people", but minorities get pissed of real fast when you say that)

yous is really a word meaning you all or you as plural, though in only regional use informally. Its alternatively spelled as youse.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

In the USA, it's a word, but it's considered non-standard, and I think the English teachers/scholars are trying to phase it out.

"phase it out"? I was not aware that it was ever a legitimate word...and I'm a grammar nazi...

Maybe on the East Coast or something...I'm pretty sure nobody bastardizes the language like that here in Chicago.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )