By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Class-action lawsuit against EA over DRM

I don't particularly mind digital distribution, but that's if the system is more like Steam than anything.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
ssj12 said:

That wont ever happen, There are more then enough indie and PC developers left. Valve will never stop being a PC developer.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. I ment if this kind of DRM scenario migrates to console gaming where you purchase your disk games at a retail store and it only works on your console and nobody else's.

In fact, wasn't there some rumor like that about the PS3 very early on? That it would burn some kind of code onto the disk the first time it's played and it would only work on that console?

ya there was but it was an unfounded rumor.

Digital distribution is what will kill off rental/used copies of games but there will still be a minor ability to share the game.

Digital distribution will compensate for its DRM-like attributes with convenience, services and savings for the consumer. Why should I care that I can't get a $20 trade-in value at Gamestop if I paid $20 less for the game in the first place?

This SecureROM crap only offers the consumer more costs.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

...go back ~3 years and insert "Sony" in place of EA. This corporate abuse of legitimate customers is why there are consumer advocacy groups.

for the recap...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4459620.stm

BTW I know the details of why Sony was sued are different but the overall idea of corporate copy protection software being placed on your HDD without consent and/or the ability to remove it is reprehensible.

Don't see the point in the DRM. It was cracked on day of release anyway!

If the protection actually worked then it would be fine....But it doesn't so whats the point?

I am happily playing a cracked version with none of the hassle that you PAYING customers are treated to.

Not really fair, more to the point, why bother with these measures? Who exactly is it targeted at?

@above at paying customers since thats the only people it affects

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
ssj12 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
ssj12 said:
please win please. EA needs to learn that DRM isnt the answer as long as you have a great game. Take for example The Witcher. CD Projekt Red doesnt have DRM built in and its selling well due to the fact its an amazing game. The only reason I'm downloading the enhanced edition DVD file is because I can't get the free upgrade patch to work. I own the original and they offer all bonus material for free. So I;m not even pirating the game since it is a free upgrade anyways with the original.

I don't know laws enough, but I do agree that I hope that this is an eye opener for EA and other companies that customers don't want this crap.

What happens if all your games could only be played on your console?

That wont ever happen, There are more then enough indie and PC developers left. Valve will never stop being a PC developer.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. I ment if this kind of DRM scenario migrates to console gaming where you purchase your disk games at a retail store and it only works on your console and nobody else's.

In fact, wasn't there some rumor like that about the PS3 very early on? That it would burn some kind of code onto the disk the first time it's played and it would only work on that console?

Digital distribution is what will kill off rental/used copies of games but there will still be a minor ability to share the game.

Actually, the way I heard it that Sony had a patent on it. Also, had implemented it Gamestop planned not to carry the console (because it would kill their business). So supposedly the technology exists, but given the current strucutre of gaming (rentals and used sales), it would be at its own peril if a company used it. (No Gamestop plus No Blockbuster equals No Sale).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

famousringo said:
ssj12 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
ssj12 said:

Digital distribution will compensate for its DRM-like attributes with convenience, services and savings for the consumer. Why should I care that I can't get a $20 trade-in value at Gamestop if I paid $20 less for the game in the first place?

and once installed its annoying as hell to get off your PC. It embeds itself into the main kernal of your windows or mac OS.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

famousringo said:
ssj12 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
ssj12 said:

You actually think people will stop bitching ?

And what makes you think digitally distributed games will be cheaper ?

Seems to me new releases are the same price on Steam as in retail.

So are the retail games you can download on the PSN.

You're not going to pay less for digital games than at retail as long as games still come at retail too or retailer would complain about unfair competition..( and retailers will keep a say as they are the medium to sell the consoles themselves).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
famousringo said:

You actually think people will stop bitching ?

And what makes you think digitally distributed games will be cheaper ?

Seems to me new releases are the same price on Steam as in retail.

So are the retail games you can download on the PSN.

You're not going to pay less for digital games than at retail as long as games still come at retail too or retailer would complain about unfair competition..( and retailers will keep a say as they are the medium to sell the consoles themselves).

Since online distribution is so much cheaper than brick and mortar, those which do provide better value to the consumer will succeed, those which do not will fail.

Retailers aren't in much of a position to object. I don't see them flexing their might to crush music and movie downloads.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

ssj12 said:
please win please. EA needs to learn that DRM isnt the answer as long as you have a great game. Take for example The Witcher. CD Projekt Red doesnt have DRM built in and its selling well due to the fact its an amazing game. The only reason I'm downloading the enhanced edition DVD file is because I can't get the free upgrade patch to work. I own the original and they offer all bonus material for free. So I;m not even pirating the game since it is a free upgrade anyways with the original.

I think DRM can be an answer.... just not like the Securom kind.

The kind where one copy can only be online at once, and it beign tied to one EA account.  Thats "good" DRM.

The kind that installs on your computer for no reason and limited installs are the "Bad" kind.

In my opinion anyway.