By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's assume the trolls are right, Wii is a last-gen system.

the thing that the wii has done more than anything else is question the very fundamentals of console gaming and what the word next gen means. before the wii was released the idea of next gen was more power, better looking graphics and more flexible usage. What does Nintendo think "next gen is all about how we interact with the console" so from that point of view i call this thread hypothetical.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

Around the Network

the ps3 has better games than the wii? ya, keep dreaming. the only games really worth getting are MGS4 and CoD4.

frybread said:

1) Wii holds the record as the latest entry into a generation in history.  The 6th gen started in 1998 with Dreamcast, and Nintendo waited until 2006 to release the Wii, making it 8 years.  The previous record was 7 years, held by the Sega SG-1000 (released 1983), from the 2nd generation that started in 1976.

2) Nintendo is the first company to launch 2 entirely seperate home consoles in the same generation since Atari did it in the 2nd generation.

3) Nintendo is on track to win the 6th generation, dethroning the PS2, a surprise considering how late it entered the race.

4) A troubling note for the industry - 6th generation consoles continue to outsell 7th gen consoles and show no signs of slowing.  This is the first time in history a previous generation has outsold its successors.

5) Developers are supporting two generations of consoles with multiplatform titles, and even new exclusives, a practice that was previously quite rare.

6) The 6th gen is the longest generation in history at 10 years, and projected to last up to 15 years.  The previous record was 9 years.

Great post.  No matter how you look at it, either the wii is winning this gen, or it's on track for winning last gen.

However, point number 5 is not unique to the wii.  There are exclusives still coming out for the PS2, and there have also been common for multiplatform titles released for both the PS2 and PS3.

This proves once and for all that the user base for the Wii is old people that need milk of magnesia before their senior coffee. You see the Wii is a last generation system and old people are stuck in their ways. They don't want to buy anything new.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Some interesting points here.

This thread is the ultimate making lemons out of lemonade. There is a school of thought that the Wii is not of the current generation because it is not HD. If that is the case, then gaming could have reached a point where people are looking for something different as the more technologically-advanced machines have not been able to beat the older-technology machines. Maybe technology is not everything to everyone (the PS2 outsold both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 last Christmas/holiday season).

But we all know that the Wii is the current generation because it is the machine out right now. It maybe a different mix of technology, but it is still what Nintendo currently has to offer, just as the PS3 (not the PS2) and Xbox 360 (not the Xbox) are what Sony and Microsoft have to offer respectively.

Also, one note about the "Second Generation." Today's "historians" tend to lump together two very different sets of game machines. The machines at the end (Atari 5200/Colecovision/Sega SG-1000) were very different from the machines at the beginning (RCA Studio III/Fairchild Channel F/Atari 2600). Most students of classic gaming put everything from 1976-1979 into one group and the latter machines in another -- with the Intellivision being the dividing point. The machines at the beginning were often glorified pong units. The machines at the end -- some MSX based -- were nearly as powerful as the home computers of the day and almost equivalent to the NES/FC.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

i am reminded of how so many people think that wii fanboys don't troll unless they are instigated.......

ookaze said:
yushire said:
pfft... Of course it isnt next gen, the Wii is NEW GEN, just watch the E3 2006 conference on youtube...

About the console itself, of course its not next gen, the hardware itself is really a gamecube the revolutionary feature of the Wii isnt the hardware anyway, its the controller.

So I guess the controller is software, if it's not hardware, amirite?

So many bitter tears and excuses...

Of course the Wii is current gen, and its hardware is far more advanced than both its competitors.

You just have to put them one next to the other to realize the two big competitors are poorly made compared to the slick Wii.

The Wii is approaching 2 years old and I still see lots of bitter tears as soon as someone posts facts about it that shatter pipe dreams of its haters.

The OP was just amazing in shattering yet more pipe dreams of Wii being last gen.

Controllers are periphials, not hardware.  The Wii's hardware is not even close to being as advanced as its competitors.  There are two facts for you.

So were the first people who replied to this thread just confused about what I was saying?

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

mike_intellivision said:

Also, one note about the "Second Generation." Today's "historians" tend to lump together two very different sets of game machines. The machines at the end (Atari 5200/Colecovision/Sega SG-1000) were very different from the machines at the beginning (RCA Studio III/Fairchild Channel F/Atari 2600). Most students of classic gaming put everything from 1976-1979 into one group and the latter machines in another -- with the Intellivision being the dividing point. The machines at the beginning were often glorified pong units. The machines at the end -- some MSX based -- were nearly as powerful as the home computers of the day and almost equivalent to the NES/FC.

Mike from Morgantown

I've noticed that, the 2nd generation is really two generations lumped together.  Gamers today probably think there isn't a lot of difference, but really they were as different as N64 and 360.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

theprof00 said:
i am reminded of how so many people think that wii fanboys don't troll unless they are instigated.......

Sure, why not... you can say this thread was made in response to the "Wii is a last-gen system" comments 

edit: Ok, I thought the thread was made after the one Mike linked below, perhaps it was out of the blue.

I thought the OP was great, maybe you could've toned down the thread title though.