By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does anyone still believe PS3 will win the console war?

Realistically, no.

But I think Sony will finish on a fine spot above Microsoft. But still a distance from Nintendo.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Around the Network

PS3 FTW

finalsquall said:
PS3 will win due to the 10year cycle (IMO - will happen - given previous track record). Each console is competing as a generation - in this case 7th gen. Ps2 is apart of the 6th gen, so it is not directly competing with the wii, 360 or ps3.

If the 720 and wii2 hd come with in the next few years - that begins the 8th gen, which would only leave the ps3 continuing the generation (like the ps2 is now). The ps3 is not competing with them - it is still racing against the 7th gen.

So, if Sony is the only remaining console race in 7th gen and over takes the Wii in sales - then technically it will win the 7th generation. When the ps4 comes it will battle it out the 8th gen with 720, and wii 2 hd or maybe just maybe 9th gen :P

Wii is already 17 million ahead of PS3, and continues to sell at leat double what PS3 does. If that continues it will mean that in order for PS3 to win it needs double the lifecycle of Wii AND needs continued relatively high sales.

Of course this won't happen, since Wii will be on the market for a looooong time, simple because it's successful (hell, it's still sold out in places and definitely will be coming holidays).

Even if PS3 will have a 10 year cycle, which will be risky for Sony if Microsoft launces its new console way earlier,  it won't make up the difference with Wii in 3 years. PS3 sales will obviously decline after a year or 5 (so will Wii's and 360's) and Wii will probably at least 7 years on the market.

Anything is possible I guess...but the Wii's lead has gotten way too overwhelming. BTW people like myself have been saying that the Wii is not in battle with PS3 before it even came out (I wasn't even doing it because I thought it would beat out PS3 sales - no one did). I guess it could depend on how fast Blu Ray is adopted and if a slim line PS3 comes a lot earlier in the life cycle.

The Wii is not in competition with the PS3 or the 360 and is definitely not a 7th generation console.

Yes, the PS3 has a very good chance at winning the console war.

The PlayStation 3 is in much the same position as the Commodore 64 was in the late 1980s. It's top-of-the-line for what it does and its next-best competitor is working hard against it, but both of them are getting their clocks cleaned by an outdated "crappy product" designed for "non-consumers". And funnily enough, the parallels don't end there...

Back in 1987, Commodore 64 and Amiga were considered THE systems to own and play on by the gaming "elite" of the time. All of the big PC developers had thrown in their lot with either one or both of these systems, and nobody in the industry could understand how this little gray TV-dependent box called the Nintendo Entertainment System was selling so well without those developers supporting it. But the PC gaming industry figured it was plenty healthy, and didn't need to worry about the NES.

Jump forward a few years, and the Amiga and C64 were on their last legs as gaming systems. Desperate attempts were made to make them viable competitors with the NES, but it just didn't work. NES users didn't want Amiga or C64, and what Amiga and C64 gamers remained didn't want the NES or any of its style. The PC market imploded handily, and the console market the NES started exploded.

The intervening years are well known, of course (the re-emergence of the PC gaming market parallel to the console market, their slow melding into one, and the constant upscaling of graphics and processor power that followed). But the original division is what's important to look at, because we're seeing the exact same symptoms again. An outdated system hardware-wise with no "real" third-party support is a rising star amongst the "real" systems, and the urge to dismiss it out of hand only gets more intense as that rising star grows brighter and bigger.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

At this point I'm not sure if the PS3 can win.  I do believe that the gap between the PS3 and Wii will probably be less than what many believe(30-50million).  Once the PS3 can get itself to a critical $299(I'm guessing at latest mid to late next year) we are going to see a different side of Sony. I also think that total market might be something more like 300 million as opposed to about 160 or so.

I'm sure many are going simply discount me as being a fanboy who believes that X game will save the PS3, but i'm not thinking about any of thier core titles.   I'm thinking about Eyepet, Eyetoy Story and whatever else Sony Europe has on the drawing board.  Even if they simply copy most of their last gens titles they will make a reasonable competition for the Wii. Eyetoy Kinetic 2(Wii Fit), Eyetoy Play 4(Wii Play), Eyetoy EduKids 2(Brain Training), Eyetoy Play Sports 2(Wii Sports), Eyetoy Groove 2.  Offering future consumers a decent price point as well as great non-game and core software . Nintendo could feasibly lower thier price but given the demand for the system I'm not sure that would happen.  Now if they could simply learn to market and advertise themselves correctly(emphasizing the numbers in those titles to show that they aren't just copying Nintendo and show people having fun moving around) they may be able to drastically turn around thier market position and add a new facet to thier image that has been European only for far too long.

Will Sony win even if they have comparable marketshare or amazingly enough beat  Nintendo...Hell no.  Nintendo is making far too much money on hardware as well as software and posting profit the likes of which has never been seen in the industry.  However Sony can save face and come fighting really hard with the PS4 which will be cheap and powerful due to the scalable nature of much of the PS3 tech.  But I prefer it this way.  True Competition will make us consumers the real winners.

Cueil said:
ssj12 said:
starcraft said:
KBG29 said:
Yes the PS3 could still be the highest selling console this gen, becuase of these reasons:
-Blu-ray
-HDD
-HDMI
-Cell
-Exclusive Gamse
-PSN
-Home
-Price Cuts
-Wifi

Yes Wii could win this gen because of:
-Motion Controller
-Price
-Price cuts
-Exclusive Games
-Wiiware
-Wifi

Yes 360 could win this gen because of:
-Exclusive games
-Xbox Live
-Price Cuts

This isn't a biased or manipulated post at ALL.

actually I will have to say the post isnt biased at all

The 360 has a lot of disadvantages against the Wii and PS3 like more games. IF Microsoft did what they did in gen 6 and make the HDD standard like the Xbox's they would have one less MAJOR disadvantage against the PS3 even though even though Microsoft already talk about how the HDD hurt the Xbox 1's profitablity and it's ability to get a price cut.

Microsoft unfortunately officially lacks any good 1st party studios, except Lionhead, so they lost in that department straight off even though they have the majority of support from 3rd party devs. They can afford to buy exclusives but really nothing beats home-made games except maybe Braid or Samerai Dishwasher... oh wait. And for a good back line-up, they can add some quality Xbox titles to Live but Sony and Nintendo both have a way bigger liberary of titles from jsut gen 5 to win any battle let alone add in the full abilities of VC including N64, SNES, NES, and many former competitor's titles.

They have a, somewhat<-- haha, good online service that is slowly being eaten away by both Nintendo(wtf) and Sony except this is not true. Yes, I will say that Nintendo's is lacking major function but it still adds some competition to the online market.

Techwise the PS3 is the only one special because it can stream 10 HD videos at once, but it can just bearly keep up with a decade old tech in gaming. The 360 is a modified PC except that it really is a modified powerpc mac, the Wii is an old IBM computer if IBM was Apple. This is both a positive and negative for the PS3. Sony's console tech allows for longevity but it will take a long time to see the true abilities of the system in a similar fassion that we saw for the PS2. You will see the 360 get tapped out really quick except that noone has really figured out how to fully take advantage of multicore processors. The Wii's powerPC CPU and ATI GPU will also wont take that long to tap out but the powerPC is still a touch more annoying to program for except it's been around for about a decade.

I wish you actually knew what you were talking about... you're probably one of those people who think that the PS3 has 9 cores.  I may prefer my Xbox 360 over the PS3, but I love games and wouldn't hesitate to buy the system.  It's a really great system, but that doesn't mean it's the greatest piece of hardware ever.  These two pieces of gaming hardware have strength and weaknesses that pretty much cancel out each other when it comes to performance.  The Cell processor is also based around the PowerPC architecture with 8 spes(and the PS3 only uses 6 of these for gaming)... not to diffrent from the idea of the PS2 with it's vector units.

sigh... you really dont understand that powerPC is made by IBM. Apple purchased their processors from IBM. Meaning you are extremely wrong there.

The CELL is a modified powerPC processor with 8 semantic cores, for the PS3 one is disabled and another is set for the XMB OS. The 360's CPU while based on the PPC is actually designed in a similar fashion as AMD's phenon X3. The Wii's PPC is just a faster standard PPC. The reason I state that it is trickier to program for is due to the fact not many programmers played with an Apple II when they were kids so they don't have the background to full grasp coding for it unlike more modern architectures from Intel and AMD.

The reason for the original Xbox not getting a price cut was the horrid deal M$ made with Nvidia which made it so NVidia didn't have to shrink the GPU. The HDD had more to do with the ability to have a price cut since HDD prices were dropping. Still I was using the HDD as a technical difference versus a sales difference like starcraft seems to think.

Lionhead is one studio which will go the same way as ES and the rest of M$'s studios.

Braid and indie developers don't count as first party and neither do 3rd parties. Last time I checked 3rd party = not owned by a company but can have exclusives purchased.

Also don;t judge one's intelligence when you yourself failed to prove me wrong at all in your entire "redo" of my post.

nice try but you fail

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

This thread is out of control... the answer right now is NO... in the future we can reevaluate things if Sony starts selling 300k/mo

Of course because the Wii isn't a console and it's in another market. I heard people saying it was a toy. The Wii is in competition with Tickle Me Elmo and is dominating that market. The PS3 will win the console war.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

the PS3 will be #2 this generation

basically

Wii
PS3

but if you include PC into the mix

PC
Wii
PS3

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453