By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VGChartz Playstation Trophy League

KylieDog said: 

Oh look three hypocrites.  Try to silence me because I haven't platted it when none of you have either.

Hilarious.   Now excuse me I have to go mow the lawn, since I am busy and cannot game while I do that I want an extra 3 stars on my next plat because it is going to take me longer. 

Now, now, the only hypocrite I see here is you.  Aside from Ail, we're not even claiming to want or be able to get that plat, but if I sunk 500 hours into it, I'd think it deserving of at least 4 stars no matter how easy it was.  You on the other hand, want to shit on every game because aside from mowing lawns, you apparently have all the time in the world to play games and get platinum trophies.

All we are saying is that if you want to continue fussing about the difficulty or platinum rating of that game, we'd like to see you get the platinum first.  You seem to quote a lot of rules from the ps3trophies.org polls, and actually playing the game is one of the requirements if I recall.

So while you're insulting us by calling us hypocrites, several of your posts indicate your grasp of the English language is sub-par at best, especially for someone from the UK, and I have to remind myself every time I see the name Kylie and a picture of a chick that you are a dude with a girl's name. 

And in case we're not clear, I'm not trying to be too insulting... it's all in good fun.

Around the Network

@KylieDog
Regarding the time difficulty debate I think it's unfair to only allow a MAX of 1 stars added for time difficulty.
I'm curious at how many hours would you determine to add 1 star?

Say we add 1 star for 200 hours of time. I think at game that takes 200 hours vs 1000 hours is still too big of a discrepancy for a single star rating to cover.

A while ago I proposed a time rating system with a range of times. 1000 hours would undoubtedly be 5 star difficulty in that system. But then you'd take the 5 stars and average it with the general difficulty of the game. A 5 star time and a 1 star skill based would come out to a 3 in that system. Sounds like WKC is more skill based as the higher level monsters requiring the need to form strong parties. Maybe skill based it would be at least a 3? So overall a 4 then?

Really wanted to rent and finish Terminator Salvation over the weekend but never got a chance..
I know.. I know, it's a crappy game and an easy Plat, but after my first Plat last week.. I've just got a craving for more.

| Sony Bravia 52" LCD | Sony Bravia 5.1 System |

| 20" iMac | 13" MacBook | M17X Alienware Gaming Laptop |

| 120GB Slim PS3 | 80GB Fat PS3 | 250GB Xbox 360 | Wii | PSP Go |

KylieDog said:
chenguo4 said:
fadetoone said:
Ail said: 

Tell you what, you plat WKC and then we'll listen to how you would rate it :p

If the game is so easy that really shoudn't be a problem for you :p

Now there's a plan.

I third it.

Also, sinking 500 hours into an easy game is obviously hard not because of the game's difficulty, but finding the time to do it. Like going to the gym, it's not hard to run on a treadmill or lift weights within your body's limits. The hardest part of working out is finding the time to do it.

But seriously, before your next contrived argument, plat WKC.

Oh look three hypocrites.  Try to silence me because I haven't platted it when none of you have either.

Hilarious.   Now excuse me I have to go mow the lawn, since I am busy and cannot game while I do that I want an extra 3 stars on my next plat because it is going to take me longer.

Pretty much any system out there to rate something, be it a game, a movie or a book requires you to at least play/watch it, whatever.

You haven't even installed WKC on your PS3 ( or you would show as 0% completion..).

Now, how about we go back to this when someone has WKC plat ?

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

KylieDog said:
HideoK said:

It is meant to be a very easy game, most people who played it before Western release claimed that and reviews all criticised the game for it too.

These are meant to be difficulty ratings anyway, not time ratings.   Look at how messed up some games ratings are, Heavy Rain is meant to compare to Uncharted on Crushing?  Smackdown vs Raw meant to compare to RE5 on Pro?  Trine compared to Uncharted 2 Crushing?

Factoring time is making a joke of the games that actually have challenge to them.  I not even using the examples of games where the hardest trophy is near impossible, they are a hundred times harder than what they are being compared against though.

Most of the reviews over in the US who claimed WKC was easy didn't even touch the online portion of the game. If the plat for the game revolved around the single player, then it would probably be a 1-2 star game. However, you need competent people online to group with, because the tier 3 versions of the quests are impossible to solo (except for one instance, because of no large boss enemies) and if you have idiots in your party (yes, there are plenty of those), then you'll be kissing the dirt.

Around the Network
MasterVG71782 said:
KylieDog said:
HideoK said:

It is meant to be a very easy game, most people who played it before Western release claimed that and reviews all criticised the game for it too.

These are meant to be difficulty ratings anyway, not time ratings.   Look at how messed up some games ratings are, Heavy Rain is meant to compare to Uncharted on Crushing?  Smackdown vs Raw meant to compare to RE5 on Pro?  Trine compared to Uncharted 2 Crushing?

Factoring time is making a joke of the games that actually have challenge to them.  I not even using the examples of games where the hardest trophy is near impossible, they are a hundred times harder than what they are being compared against though.

Most of the reviews over in the US who claimed WKC was easy didn't even touch the online portion of the game. If the plat for the game revolved around the single player, then it would probably be a 1-2 star game. However, you need competent people online to group with, because the tier 3 versions of the quests are impossible to solo (except for one instance, because of no large boss enemies) and if you have idiots in your party (yes, there are plenty of those), then you'll be kissing the dirt.

Like Akimitsu just pointed out, once you have played the campaign of the game you will have at max 1% of the trophies ( maxing one skill tree is all you will get in campaign), so reviewers haven't touched at all the majority of the game content...

Not a single reviewer out there has even played a type 3 quest, that is 100% sure (because none of them ever got to GR10..). You need to beat over 500 of those for the plat...

KylieDog said:
HideoK said:

@KylieDog
Regarding the time difficulty debate I think it's unfair to only allow a MAX of 1 stars added for time difficulty.

Say we add 1 star for 200 hours of time. I think at game that takes 200 hours vs 1000 hours is still too big of a discrepancy for a single star rating to cover.

A while ago I proposed a time rating system with a range of times. 1000 hours would undoubtedly be 5 star difficulty in that system. But then you'd take the 5 stars and average it with the general difficulty of the game. A 5 star time and a 1 star skill based would come out to a 3 in that system. Sounds like WKC is more skill based as the higher level monsters requiring the need to form strong parties. Maybe skill based it would be at least a 3? So overall a 4 then?

Yeah some ratings are bullshit. No one ever debated that.

Look, we're essentially arguing over semantics. You define difficulty as purely gameplay difficulty. We define diffculty as sum of obstacles to platinum, which factors in not only gameplay but time. Going by current ratings, clearly a precedence has been set where games can receive more than 1 extra star for its length. And that's not only this site, this is also reflected on PS3trophies.org.

**edit: In your above post, even though people say gameplay is not difficult, several still gave it 9/10. Why? Because they include time into the difficulty ratong. This argument isn't about whether a game's gameplay is difficult, it's about whether time should be factored into a difficutly rating. End edit.**

Most people agree that time, if long enough, is worth more than 1 extra star. That's why the rules are set up as such, to reflect the opinions of most people on a subjective metric for which there is no clear absolute rating.

It's fine that you disagree on the definition of difficutly. But when the system has been set up based off the opinions of most people, there's no reason to redefine the system for a minority of gameplay difficulty purists.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

KylieDog said:
chenguo4 said:
KylieDog said:
HideoK said:

@KylieDog

Yeah some ratings are bullshit. No one ever debated that.

Look, we're essentially arguing over semantics. You define difficulty as purely gameplay difficulty. We define diffculty as sum of obstacles to platinum, which factors in not only gameplay but time. Going by current ratings, clearly a precedence has been set where games can receive more than 1 extra star for its length. And that's not only this site, this is also reflected on PS3trophies.org.

Most people agree that time, if long enough, is worth more than 1 extra star. That's why the rules are set up as such, to reflect the opinions of most people on a subjective metric for which there is no clear absolute rating.

It's fine that you disagree on the definition of difficutly. But when the system has been set up based off the opinions of most people, there's no reason to redefine the system for a minority of gameplay difficulty purists.

I already pointed out the flaws of following PS3trophies.org ratings.  They used to enforce the "Don't count time" rule but now they don't, making differing games get similar average rankings.  Once a vote is made it is made forever too, does not factor in any patches, DLC or just new methods worked out by players since the time when most fo the ratings are made (early after a games release) and these can change platinum difficulty a lot.

Take Mirror's Edge for example, since the majority of votes there have been lots of youtube vids showing newly discovered shortcuts, this removes a lot of the challenge from speed runs and the time trials.  DLC has since been released also and you can just grab a bunch of stars from the DLC and they will add towards the time trial star rating trophy needed for the platinum, so instead of needing 3 star (max per time trial) every time trial you can just 1 or 2 star them and then 1 or 2 star a bunch from the DLC to make up the extras, makes the platinum incredibly easier.  None of this is factored though.

In that case, yes, that's extremely flawed. Here not only has difficulty gone down, but time gone down too, since I imagine 3 starring some runs would have taken many many tries.

Aside from somewhat special cases like this, say for WKC, a game for which difficulty has not changed, and is kind of a poster boy in the extremely long but easy category, most people rate it highly, and it shows that for most people length of completion is defined to add to difficulty.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

KylieDog said:
Ail said:

Pretty much any system out there to rate something, be it a game, a movie or a book requires you to at least play/watch it, whatever.

You haven't even installed WKC on your PS3 ( or you would show as 0% completion..).

Now, how about we go back to this when someone has WKC plat ?

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/white-knight-chronicles/32537-platinum-difficulty-rating.html

"Unless time consuming trophies can be defined as hard, this is definitely not hard at all."

1/24/2010 the dude spent -2 weeks playing the game ( was released Feb 2nd)

"Exactly. All the trophies in this game appear to be collecting items. That isn't actually hard as though you'll struggle to do it, it's just very time consuming."

1/24/2010

"I have to agree, this one is very easy to get skill-wise, yet it's said to be very time consuming"

2/08/2010.

"This platinum is not very difficult skillwise, but it takes a lot of planning to get there."

"I gave it a 9. In order to be a 10 I would have to say getting the plat involves not only a TON of time, but actual difficulty from a skill curve as well which this does not."

"You make it sound like I'm leveling because I think the game is too hard... certainly it is not."

"This is the most insane grind ever. I'd give it a 10, but skill is less important than time put it."

"if time doesn't factor doesn't count, then I would most certainly give this game a 4 or a 5...       ...why is this game not a 1 or a 2 or even a 3? Those ratings are reserved for titles like Hannah Montana where all you need to do is shake the controller and marvel at the curves (?) of Miley Cyrus."

"Yeah thats why its a 4 or a 5. Its certainly not a 1. They are doable indeed. And above 5 are reserved for racing titles which I most despise for me sucking at it."  Another quote by the same dude that puts his reviewing in a new light...

"I agree, I feel like this game falls in the middle of the scale somewhere."

2/23/2010

"Well, 7/10 in my opinion, this game its not about skill in my opinion but time consuming and i gave this note comparing to Demon's Souls (10/10 time consuming + skill)"

2/28/2010

...and saving the best until last.

"Now that ive actually gotten this Platinum, i give it a 5, it is an easy game, but remember its online and sometimes your only as strong as the weakest link, ive had my fair share of bad groups, some people can make any quest difficult for you."

And I could go on...

Next time try to quote people that have played the game at least...

@chenguo4
**edit: In your above post, even though people say gameplay is not difficult, several still gave it 9/10. Why? Because they include time into the difficulty rating. This argument isn't about whether a game's gameplay is difficult, it's about whether time should be factored into a difficutly rating. End edit.**

Agreed time should definitely be included in a games difficulty rating. I don't think anyone here is arguing that, even Kylie is setting aside 1 star. Meanwhile in my example I'm likely weighing time too heavily giving it 50% weight along with 50% skill. Just goes to show how much I value time. Its actually quite a strong deterrent for me in getting platinum. I don't think I've put in more than 100 hours into any single game this generation not counting DLC. With enough time spent I could probably platinum any game... except for maybe street fighter IV (because I'm not great at fighters)... and Rock Band/Guitar Hero (not good at music games)... AND wipeout HD, and warh-- actually I could plat warhawk with 1-2 years just playing that. lol

Who am I kidding!? Haha. I probably can't platinum any 5 star games in the racing, fighter, and music genres. Although of all the 5 star games listed Wipeout HD is my best chance.