By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Good Gaming 1080p HDTV recommendations for under $1000?

Really the best place for these answers is AVS forum.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Around the Network

got a Sony 32 inch M series Bravia, it's 720P/1080I. but at that size, you won't notice, it serves my bedroom with 2 HDMI ports (one for PS3 and one goes to my Arcade).

You can probably find one for around 700 bucks if not cheaper.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
DTG said:
Ok then I'll go with 720p. Should I hold out til xmas season or even boxing day for good deals? Are HDTV prices expected to fall across the board this season?

I would wait until Black Friday because you can a good tv for extremely cheap. 

Why 1080p? Most games are mastered in 720p and upscaled. If it's true 1080p you want, then wait for next gen :)

I got a 42' Vizio 1080p with PIP and PoP for $999. They have some 46' without PIP of PoP for the same price and 42' for $899.

Around the Network

Contrast Ratio and brand is, frankly, more important than 120 Hz between-frame blending, or 10bit/color channel color, or ANYTHING. All that stuff, that the various TV companies charge an arm and a leg for, is *worthless*.  Human beings have enough trouble telling the diff between 30 Hz and 60 Hz... let alone 60 Hz and 120 Hz, especially if they are merely interpolated frames, and there is a LOT of scientific data demonstrating that most humans can see, at most, 6 bits red, 7 bits green, and 5 bits blue.  let alone 8-8-8, or the ridiculous 10-10-10 you pay $100s extra for.

That said... Sony Bravias are the best. There is no question, in my mind. However, the "under $1000" only fits the 32" and 37" Bravia LCDs, I think, as far as 1080p goes.

You can score some good Samsung and good Philips 40"-ish TVs for around $1000 I think. They aren't on par with Sony, but they are pretty good.

To corroborate what other posters have said, unless you're going to use it as a monitor for your computer as well, there's not a reason to get 1080p on a screen smaller than 40", in my opinion.  You have to get too close to tell the difference, and 95% of games are 720p anyway.  The GPUs on the PS3 and 360 aren't fast enough to do 1080p decently for most game genres -- racing and simplistic arcade/downloadable games are about the only exceptions, due to the way those games are generally rendered.

If I was in your shoes, I'd score the biggest 720p Bravia I could afford (with my $1000) and fit comfortably in my space.  Sony really does make the best TVs... no question.

^Contrast Ratio no way...contrast ratio is a marketing tool to make it seem like so and so TV is better. Well this Samsung has is 2000 to 1 contrast and the LG here is only 1500 to 1 so you can tell it's significantly better... NO just plain no http://www.hometheatermag.com/advicefromtheexperts/0806specsmythsandlies/
read this site. Contrast Ratio is a lie do not buy into it completely! Sony Bravias? Look at my Newegg links from before they point to Sharp GPU1 series, a HDTV with 1080p with a vyper drive that no one is quite sure what it does. But it is the LCD for gaming at that size and newegg has it under 1000.

I have no idea how LCD TV prices are going to do, because it depends on when OLED starts becoming the standard LCD. I would suggest a Plasma again, because they are cheap. Despite Plasmas having more realistic colors and being better overall they aren't as popular as LCDs. As a result Plasma prices are a lot cheaper than LCD even though they are better. For your under 1000 price you can get a lot bigger plasma tv.

edit: However if you are bent on going LCD than I suggest a Phillips they have TV models that are around 3-4 ms lag. Most tvs are 8 ms most sharp tvs are 6 ms. Phillips are also cheap and good tvs for their price, if you want a TV for gaming make sure you get the least amount of lag possible. The hard part is finding a someone who still carries the model you need.

Large OLEDs aren't going to happen anytime soon -- there are some ugly technical hurdles in making them larger.

Plasmas are power hogs, I thought... I don't think I'd get one of those things, when the LCDs are so good these days.

^That's true...but...but... CONTRAST RATIOS!!! The plasma panasonic 800 dollar hdtv is 1000000:1!!!! That's OVER 9000!!!!!! OVER 9000!!! What Vegeta?

You should definitely look at this TV. It is $1050, but there is no tax and no shipping, and it is 40 inches.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40A550-40-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B001418W2C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222217299&sr=8-4

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson