By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Good Gaming 1080p HDTV recommendations for under $1000?

I'm looking into getting a new HDTV and want to know what good gaming HDTV's I could get for under 1000? What should I look out for when purchasing an HDTV keeping in mind that it will be used primarily for gaming?

As for more details, I'm looking for something between 28-35 inches, PC-input, 1080p, budget under 1000 including tax.

I found this TV that is apparently geared for gamers but I am not sure sure if it is actually any good. Can anyone give me a quick breifing on it? Thanks!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10099085&catid=23244

Around the Network

Not bad. However, I would hold out until the digital TV transition in 2009. HDTV prices will drop once they are technically standard TVs.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

XGamer0611 said:
Not bad. However, I would hold out until the digital TV transition in 2009. HDTV prices will drop once they are technically standard TVs.

That made no sense.

Try to look around at the 37", I've seen the Samsung 1080p 37" under 1000.

What is color gamut? Is it important?

It is impossible to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p at that size. I would recommend 720p to save a ton of money. 1080p only really becomes an advantage at TVs larger than 42 inches or something; unless you're gonna sit really close to it. One of the best 1080p TVs at that size though is the Sony Bravia 32 inch XBR, if you can find it for under $1000. I have a 37" 720p Westinghouse; 700 bucks last year and I'm 100% satisfied with it.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering
if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem." -President Ronald Reagan

PSN: southpawHokieVT

Around the Network

I have a mirai it's awesome. Really cheap but the picture is Razor sharp ! :) Try to look them up.
oh yeah.. mine is 42 inch and 1080p.

Check out my game about moles ^

DTG what about a 42 inch plasma? Costco is selling them at 799.99 and Bestbuy is as well. They only go to 1080i, but plasma has no lag so no motion blurring. It's also a pretty good plasma from what I hear. Stays cool, shouldn't ghost, I also reccommend whatever TV you get to probably get a DVE or AVIA DVD to calibrate it. BTW that Bestbuy TV seems a bit overpriced http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889101116 you can get a 37 inch here at new egg and it's the Sharp vyperdrive gaming tv that's supposed to reduce motion blurring. I recommend you go to avsforums too. Happy hunting =)

edit: Btw they have a 32 inch of the vyperdrive as well for the same price as the BestBuy sharp.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

DCboy said:

It is impossible to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p at that size. I would recommend 720p to save a ton of money. 1080p only really becomes an advantage at TVs larger than 42 inches or something; unless you're gonna sit really close to it. One of the best 1080p TVs at that size though is the Sony Bravia 32 inch XBR, if you can find it for under $1000. I have a 37" 720p Westinghouse; 700 bucks last year and I'm 100% satisfied with it.

I'll second what he said.  You will not notice a difference between 720p and 1080p on a set that small unless you're sitting 2 feet from the screen.  1080p is a bullet point nothing more at screen sizes that small.

Save some money and get a 720p set around that size.

Buying a TV would be the one time I would go through a big box store.  Watch for sales and you'll find deals that are very comparable to online retailers. If it has a resonable protection plan I would purchase that as well.  My friend's father bought a DLP about 2 years ago and it started crapping out on them.  Best Buy couldn't fix it so they offered store credit for the price they paid for the set which is a lot more than they are now.  They now have a new Kuro Plasma (probably the best TV Best Buy carries).  So beautiful.  It saved my ass too.  My first TV purchase was a Samsung LCD which died right around a month of ownership.  I swapped it out in the store no questions asked.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

I'm firmly in the plasma screen camp for best screen quality, however if your primary use is gaming, the benefits of plasma arn't as relevent.

Plasma produces more natural and realistic colour but for gaming is this really important? Even high end LCDs have harsh colours in my opinion but their lack of burn in issues is good for careless gamers, especially if you are the type to sit on one game for 8 hours per day

I really woundt give 1080p a second thought either, as others have said at that size you wont see a difference and very few games will truely play in 1080p anyway, so why pay extra for it?

Ok then I'll go with 720p. Should I hold out til xmas season or even boxing day for good deals? Are HDTV prices expected to fall across the board this season?