By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - how do you uninstall windows

i wanted to downgrade to xp so i could play games on my computer but i cant install it on my computer since i have vista

but if you did  uninstall it could i install xp

consoles i own ps12 gba ds gc wii

Around the Network

LOL?

You can't uninstall an OS without formatting the disk. That is, you'll lose all information on that partition.

Zkuq said:
LOL?

You can't uninstall an OS without formatting the disk. That is, you'll lose all information on that partition.

yeah

First, on startup go to your BIOS (usually accessed by hitting Delete on startup) and change the boot settings so that it boots from the CD/DVD drive first.

Second, insert a Windows XP installation disc, and reboot the computer. Depending on your system, the computer may boot sraight into the XP installation, or it will prompt you to hit a key first, either way, follow the instructions.

Essentially just go through the installation. Usually, you can retain data by selecting the "update" option on installation rather than installing from fresh. However, I'm not 100% sure this is the case when going back a version, so it would be wise to back up any data you have that you want to keep to a CD/DVD or external hdd/flash memory.

Alternatively, if you have the HDD space available you may wish to create a second partition and have both Vista and XP installed. You will be given the option as to which one you want to boot into on startup. The XP installation disk comes with the tools neccessary to create/format/delete partitions.

You know you can still play games on Vista. If your having performance problems turn off themes in services. Aero can eat up a lot of resources.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

Invest in more RAM. If not then you must do a clean install like the above mentioned.

SamuelRSmith said:
First, on startup go to your BIOS (usually accessed by hitting Delete on startup) and change the boot settings so that it boots from the CD/DVD drive first.

Second, insert a Windows XP installation disc, and reboot the computer. Depending on your system, the computer may boot sraight into the XP installation, or it will prompt you to hit a key first, either way, follow the instructions.

Essentially just go through the installation. Usually, you can retain data by selecting the "update" option on installation rather than installing from fresh. However, I'm not 100% sure this is the case when going back a version, so it would be wise to back up any data you have that you want to keep to a CD/DVD or external hdd/flash memory.

Alternatively, if you have the HDD space available you may wish to create a second partition and have both Vista and XP installed. You will be given the option as to which one you want to boot into on startup. The XP installation disk comes with the tools neccessary to create/format/delete partitions.

THIS

The one and only time I tried to downgrade a PC from Vista, I couldn't get the damn thing to boot from the XP disc. Didn't matter what I told the BIOS, that damn thing took one look at the XP disc, shook it's head and booted up the pre-installed Vista anyway.

I eventually gave up and yanked out the hard drive, slapped it into another machine and reformatted it from there. After that, XP installation was a breeze. :P

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

step 1: download ubuntu 8.04 and burn to cd
step 2: put cd in drive
step 3: boot from cd
step 4: select install
step 5: tell it to wipe windows

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

ringo, I had the same problem as you, I would format my computer, put in the xp disc and nothing would happen, put in the vista backup id made and it installed again

Nintendo792, if this is what's happening to you, I can help you install windows xp. I don't know how much experience you have with computers, but if you need more explanation of a step send me a messege

0) First and foremost - make a backup of Vista, as much as I dislike the software, you may later change your mind, or something may go wrong

1) Obtain a copy of a ubuntu install cd, get it off a friend, or download the ISO file from the internet, then mount it to a disc (Macs have a program called disc utility, maybe Nero can do it?) but mounting is not the same as simply burning a disc

2) Insert the Ubuntu cd into your computer and turn it on, you'll get lots of options, choose install Ubuntu. I cant remember which order these next steps are, but you'll be prompted to format your computer - choose to do this, and the power of linux will format not just the main partition, but a secret hidden partition that whispers to your pc 'dont install xp, Vista is better' You will then be prompted to partition your harddrive, this is personal preference, but my recommendation is don't bother unless you want to dual boot (and I do recommend dual booting Ubuntu, provided you have enough harddrive space, you'd probably want to dedicate at least 20gb to Ubuntu) Anyway, it will now install ubuntu

3) Insert the xp cd and install as one would normally install xp

As I said, this is only if your getting the same problem famousringo and I did.

Good luck