By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Uncool first names...

In Quebec (oldie uncool names):

Female: Dolores, Gertrude, Géraldine, Pierrette, Beatrice, Guylainne

Male: Sylvain, Fernand, Jean, Gédéon, Bernard, Guylain, Gaston

There's still tons like that but it would be so long to put them and I'm rather lazy today! :P

Around the Network

Quebec, that's in Canada, I thought Canadians spoke English.

I can't really say for England, a name is a name. Unless someone was called Fat Sarah, or something I don't think it would even matter. But then, someone from the UK can speak for me.

Although we English have real problems with names from other cultures and languages we can never get them right.

Well, actually, there is currently one cool name: Tony, but that's for different reasons.

SamuelRSmith said:
Quebec, that's in Canada, I thought Canadians spoke English.

English and French are the languages of Canada I belive and isnt' Quebec mainly just French? 

Bah, It's been 4 years since I was in Canada. 

kber81 said:

@ tonyb

It would be nice if you also include your country name. Holland?

Im from Holland ... And eerhm... Stupid names?!

Male:

Joling. (Biggest gaylord in our country... God i hate the guy!)

Robbert-Jan. (Or even worse: Rob Robbert-Jan... And yes i do know someone who has that name!)

Klaas.

Elmo. (I know a person with that name, seriously...!)

Erwin.

Ernie.

Gordon. (2nd biggest gaylord )

Mark-Marie 

*Don't get me wrong... I dont dislike Gay's... It's just that those two guys do really stupid on tv and stuff... And  they've got wacky songs :-p.  

Female:

-Truus.

-Paris.

-Katlin.

-Bresilla.

THE NETHERLANDS

You're right, Canada is mainly english but french is the second language... BUT for Quebec, majority of people speak french.

Around the Network

In fact, if you exclude Québec and New-Brunswick, I would say that Chinese is probably the second non-official language of Canada ^^ But it's right, in Québec, 80% of the population has French as a mothertongue, 10% English, and 10% for the other languages.

Great list Lolita, I'll add some names:

Males: Jean-Paul, Gaétan, Roger
Females:Noëlla, Huguette, Yvette, Georgette,....almost all the names in -ette in fact!

And if you add some really old names, it gets ugly!!

Males: Pantaléon, Aldéric
Female: Georgianna, Aldéa, Auréa, Vitaline, Rose-Délima, Alida,

From the Uk...

I personally hate people that name their kids after silly things.
Ie I thing the Colplay guy Chris Martin named his kid Peach/Apple/Banana or some other fruit. I swear there's somebody in neighbours/eastenders/some soap in which there is a woman names Mercedes (!). Also Britney is a silly name (people only called their kids that, after Britney Spears (silly name anyway) became big. Also I agree with mancandy that Paris is a silly name (not just because she is so annoying :P). What if english people suddenly started naming their kids after place names, can you imagine a child called any of these (put surnames of people I know in brackets to show how silly they would be):
Gloucestshire (Casey)
Aldershot (Brown)
Portsmouth (Johnson)
Glasgow (Davidson)
Dublin (George)
London (Martin)
Dover (Longford)
Chichestire (Stafford)
Bentley (Jacobs)
Leeds (Woolf)
York (Smith)
Manchester (Simpson)

as you can see, those names would be pretty ridiculous!

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

^^ Paris was a persons name long before the city, but it was a guys name, greek mythology anybody ??? (or just watch the movie Troy)

Tispower said:
From the Uk...

I personally hate people that name their kids after silly things.
Ie I thing the Colplay guy Chris Martin named his kid Peach/Apple/Banana or some other fruit. I swear there's somebody in neighbours/eastenders/some soap in which there is a woman names Mercedes (!). Also Britney is a silly name (people only called their kids that, after Britney Spears (silly name anyway) became big. Also I agree with mancandy that Paris is a silly name (not just because she is so annoying :P). What if english people suddenly started naming their kids after place names, can you imagine a child called any of these (put surnames of people I know in brackets to show how silly they would be):
Gloucestshire (Casey)
Aldershot (Brown)
Portsmouth (Johnson)
Glasgow (Davidson)
Dublin (George)
London (Martin)
Dover (Longford)
Chichestire (Stafford)
Bentley (Jacobs)
Leeds (Woolf)
York (Smith)
Manchester (Simpson)

as you can see, those names would be pretty ridiculous!

Mercedes is a very common name in Spanish-speaking countries. It has literally nothing to do with the luxury automobile manufacturer at all.

"Merced" translates to "mercy" and "Mercedes" simply means "mercies" or "full of mercy". It's a very catholic (and hence, Spanish) name. Not silly at all once you know its origins!

mancandy said:
In the United States:

Female:

Paris

You know Paris is SUPPOSED to be a MALE name, right?

EDIT: Duderino beat me to it.  Nice call Dude.