By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Virtual Console Multiplayer

So I finally picked up a Wii Points card and was looking to buy some games from the Virtual Console. While there are several titles I've had my eye on, I'm thinking of picking up games that I can play with my family.

What are good games on the Virtual Console that offer multiplayer or Co-op play?

Around the Network

Well, I don't know if it's one your family would play with you, but Streets of Rage 2 for the Mega Drive / Genesis is an old school bonafide classic! Gunstar Heroes (also on Mega Drive) is another co-op shoot-fest. Street Fighter 2 is pretty self explanatory heh. Bomberman 93 on the Turbografix is brilliant if you have access to 4 controllers (Wiimotes or otherwise, Gamecube pads work too), oh the list goes on heh.

I've found myself going more for the single player stuff on VC but there is definitely a good selection available :)

My brother's 18 and my sister's 14 so agewise, there won't be any issues.

I've heard good things about gunstar heroes so maybe I'll check that out.

Is bomberman still good with only 3 people or is it pretty much a 4 or bust?

Bomberman is brilliant even with just 2 people, the more the merrier!

If you don't have it on Gamecube, than Mario Kart 64 may be worth a look although it's not as great as MK: Double Dash.

Has anyone else noticed that the TG-16 multiplayer interface has been improved on the Virtual Console? It used to be that you had to do some special button-holds on the Gamecube controller at start-up to get it to be recognized as a controller. At least as of Battle Lode Runner, the VC starts up with a menu screen that lets you just hit the A button to register your controller as "Player N." So it's not tied to the Wii controller numbers, and is much friendlier than the original approach.

Also, note that the TG-16 multiplayer games support up to 5 players (any combo of Gamecube and Wii remotes), as the original system's multitap supported up to 5 players.  Bomberman '93 rocks!

Around the Network

Definatly an old school Bomberman game. Mario Kart, as someone said, is also a good bet.

Also if you like "Gauntlet" type games try "Dungeon Explorer" for the Turbo Graphx. Up to four people can play the Co-op single player where you pick a certain job class and then run through dungeons gaining levels, getting items, and killing bosses. Very easy game to pick up and play, very basic controls and little to no plot, just running around working as team to kill monsters. IGN's take: http://wii.ign.com/articles/766/766378p1.html

Contra 3 is incredible. I have heard other games like Mystical Ninja are pretty good too for Co-op.

I'm thinking of getting Mystical Ninja tonight on VC, is it any good?

Bought DK1 just then, ooooooh yeah :D

Streets of Rage 2 is awesome. Got that last night as well as Zelda (which my 26 year old brother is reliving from his first time playing) and Punch Out.

I