By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Struggle for equality, development still disfavouring the PS3? (Fracture)

One, I'm pretty sure I read LA pointing out they had much more knowledge of 360 than PS3 and SWTFU and Fracture where their big learning experiences.

Two, while I firmly believe (from what I've observed myself) that for the most part with common engines, tools, each console produces games that look essentially the same, it's no secret that 360 has a much easier SDK to develop with. Right or wrong Sony is used to delivering the HW and basic SDK and leaving it to developers to build out their abilities - MS made a point of delivering a better SDK to attack this as a point of weakness

Three, I'm also of the opinion that due to their respective architectures and the fact most 3D engines for consoles today are actually based on experiences / tech principles derived from years of such engines on PC, the 360 tends to have an edge with such games unless extra effort is put into the PS3 version (although this has been steadily reducing and probably by early 2009 360 and PS3 will finally be more or less at parity for such games.

Four, don't assume a developer will spend more than they feel they have too. Trophies are not mandatory yet and some developers are choosing to simply ignore them for current releases (I think they become mandatory from 2009 onwards). Use of Rumble is not mandatory, nor is use of custom soundtracks. The PS3 (if you buy a Rumble Dualshock) can support all of these but developers don't have to add them, and some won't to save money.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

The game kind of interests me, it's a nice concept (manipulating terrain) but when I see it in motion and someone actually playing it, it just doesn't seem very interesting.

Most will either just use it to create a bunker to get into or a wall to shield themselves, but I'd actually like to see something inventive like raising terrain on someone so that they get crushed by the ceiling in a building or like throwing a grenade and raising the ground so it gets "delivered" to an enemy on a higher platform. I just don't see any cool things like that happening in game (intentionally).

If the PS3 version gets gimped, I won't buy it, seeing as how I only own a PS3 now (of the HD consoles).

I could care less about resolution. Which one looks better, or do they look the same? The belief that the PS3 version is inferior due to a different native resolution is an over-simplification. GTA is an example of a lower resolution PS3 game looking slightly better on the PS3.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

DMeisterJ said:
Oh my fucking god!

The PS3 version has a few hundred less lines of resolution than the 360 version!

It's unplayable!!

Don't touch the inferior version!!11!!

It is interesting however that the cheaper console performs better. I could say something about money better spent on supporting developers rather than marketing buzzwords like cell, but oh well...

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Maybe the framerate in the PS3 version is better.
I played the demo and never had any pause or frame drop, nothing. Perfectly smooth. There were reports however of the Xbox version having framerate issues. I guess the guys at beyond3d will clear that up as well.

But anyway, who honestly cares about this game and it's performance differences. Ps3 already proved itself with MGS4, beeing on top of the "food chain", no need to prove itself no more.

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"

Around the Network

Its fracture dont think anyone would actually care...lol

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

darthdevidem01 said:
who cares about.........fracture?

^this. I don't know why devs make these games that no one really cares about then they complain about HD console budgets when in the red.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

My problem is why Sony gets the shaft, but when Games are gonna look worse on 360 (Rage), the entire game is gimped! F**ck that!

blazinhead89 said:
My problem is why Sony gets the shaft, but when Games are gonna look worse on 360 (Rage), the entire game is gimped! F**ck that!

You do realise its a catch 22 right? If they make it PS3 exclusive they don't have the budget to make the extra content to really take advantage of BR due to lower sales and if they make it multi-platform they don't have the space but they have the budget.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Lazy developers strike again. Too lazy to AT LEAST make the games on par with each other.

I think for the First time ever I completely agree with Squilliam....

LOL! I can't be that bad...

Anyway unequal development can range from slight differences such as visual quality to framerates etc which impact the more important area of playability.

I think since the PS3 version costs as much as the Xbox 360 version they should do a better job of delivering an equal experience as you're paying the same money so you should get the same experience.

How are you assuming that its an unequal experience based upon that small difference in max resolution? Have you played both the versions? Have you felt any significant difference in playability? This thread is a big FAIL

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees