By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
akuma587 said:
So I guess all those 100 million people who bought PS2's just disappeared off the face of the earth.

No. They just weren't core gamers.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network

Double post. I'll take the oportunity to say something I said in another thread.

While I don't see myself as some kind of uber hard core gamer, I'm hardly casual either. And as of right now, I have about 30 Wii games I'd like to buy, if only I had the money and/or time to play them. That's 30 games, people, half of which are Nintendo published, and all of which are already out, or are due out in the first 18 months of the console. That's some $1000 in games alone, $1500 in Wii gaming material.

You must imagine how abandoned and ignored I feel.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

What's puzzling is that if you are conviced that Nintendo gave up on you, why bother posting here cementing your already-strong conviction?

Nobody is trying to force you to play on Wii. You dont like Nintendo? That's cool. I doubt anybody gives a damn. Just play other consoles and leave other people who're having fun alone?

Oh right, perhaps you want other people to hate Wii/Nintendo?
I suspect there's not much fun in your life then.

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

One thing don't understand is why the OP is not calling for the down fall of Sony as well. Sony hasn't been about just the games for a while. They have been entertainment centers more then a game system, while Nintendo get criticized for not playing movies.

"So I guess all those 100 million people who bought PS2's just disappeared off the face of the earth."

==> no they don't, they are playing to PS2 waiting to switch to next gen depending on game and price. Some have already make their choice but 3/4 still dont possess Wii/Xbox360/PS3.

Time to Work !

Around the Network
libellule said:
"So I guess all those 100 million people who bought PS2's just disappeared off the face of the earth."

==> no they don't, they are playing to PS2 waiting to switch to next gen depending on game and price. Some have already make their choice but 3/4 still dont possess Wii/Xbox360/PS3.

It is a lot more than 3/4
Around 22 million next gen consoles are sold and last gen had around 164 consoles sold and still counting and
the wii have attached a lot of non/new gamers.

It really doesn't matter what Nintendo does, Nintendo simply can't invent interest in it's console. So from a business perspective, is that interest is there it must cultivate it. Business goes where the money is, and it's chasing the money. And to be fare to Nintendo with their supposed "not caring about us" attitude, they could point the finger at us first. Gamers left them for 2 generations, so there moving on to bigger and better things. If Nintendo didn't reinvent themselves this generation do you really think they would have survived another generation?

Secondly they showed Wiifit, along side Metroid, Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros., so the scales in Nintendo's development teams is still tipped in the hardcore's pocket.

Thirdly, Nintendo is actually doing the entire industry a favor. Nintendo is like pot, it's the light drug, and when people try and get into it more and more people will go to the hard stuff. My wife, started with Nintendogs and Brain Age, and she's now moving onto platform titles, soon she'll be putting the smack down on me in Halo 3. So I still think they are not stealing market share, they are creating more of it, and in time the whole industry will benefit from it.

I agree with most of what Konnichiwa says .

Nintendo doesnt care for gamers anymore .They say they do ,of course ...what else would they say ?But the fact is they dont .They are going desperately after kiddies ,females ,your girls ,retirees ,moms ,fathers that want to be "cool " with their little children ....

But they havent lied .Iwata told this from the word go .He said "selling the Wii to gamers will be like selling makeup to men " .

The success of the DS relies in the touch generations titles .Those are ,especially the Brain Titles ,little more than bringing the sudokus and little games of the newspapers to a digital format .And the Wii plans to do the same .Latest proof is Wii Fit that is like a fitness video run by the Wii .How to be smarter ,how to have better attention ,how to learn english ,how to be in good shape .....its like another trend of late as the autohelp books .Some people not related to videogames at all suddendly think they will be smarter ,faster ,slimer etc .And Nintendo is lying there .

As Nintendo has that glorious past and still some hardcore behind them they can just spit them in the face saying them "you are useless now !" so they keep promising focus on hardcore games .And ,for sure ,they will release the usual fare .....Mario ,Metroid ,Mario Kart ,Mario Smash Bros and Zelda .Oh ,and Fzero will appear sooner or later .Thats what we have been seeing since the Snes days in each console .So they plan to keep the Nintendo hardcore fans in the boat playing and remaking those games over and over again .

Nintendo has changed .Maybe for the better for them .They will be rich selling authelp fitness and health no-games.But they dont stand for the gamer anymore .Funny thing is they say it one and two and ten times and by their usual channels of old ....gamers conferencies etc .So basically they use the gaming events to tell gamers what they now stand for and that we are wrong and they are right .And to prove it they show the sales of the consoles .

But we arent wrong .Nintendo hasnt showed even one of the best games of the show .Those were Ratchet and Clank ,Mass Effect ,Killzone 2 ,Call of Duty 4 ,Unreal III ,Haze ,Resident 5 ,Heavenly Sword ,Lost Oddysey ,Uncharted ,Little Big Planet ,PGR 4 ,Gran Turismo 5 Prologue ,GTA IV ,Halo 3 ....and many others .

And yes ,there is a risk ....if no-games sell millions to non-gamers sooner or later all the companies will realize this .And once they do it is only a question of time they change their strategies ....why spend millions and millions on RE5 when I can do a cheap game based on a Wii-gimmick and related to real life (cooking ,washing ,etc ) and sell millions ?

If someone walked up to you and said, "Hey, would you like 20 million dollars?" What would you say? "No, thank you I already have a 400 dollars in the bank?" Barring any trickery you would take the money.
So I don't have a problem with Nintendo making money because it is logical.

I also see what Konnichiwa is saying though, I'm not that excited about all of the "everyone games" out there either.

I like the Wii Fit device only because I think that it will be used for games HdCr games in the future.

Since I don't have a Wii yet I am still excited since there are at least 5-6 games I must own (one being Wii Sports). Since I survived the old days with Nintendo, those days when major games came 3 times a year, I am quite happy now.

I am excited that Nintendo seems to be looking into making more RPGs, that they are reaching out to people like Rock Star, that they already have games like Scar Face, Red Steel, and God Father. Even more excited about games like Project Hammer and Crisis: Day of Disaster. They are learning.

While I think that Nintendo is tooting its horn a lot... I also think that they for the most part do it with facts and not with lies. The things that they say tend to convince the leary developers into making a game for us. Reggie's boast were aimed at those people who are saying that the Wii is a fad.

For now I see the danger that Nintendo will become all about the non-gamer but with MP3, Brawl, Red Steel 1 and 2, Zelda TP and the one they are making now ( of which they said that it will be out "sooner than we would expect), Mario Galaxy, Mario Cart, and FIRE EMBLEM!! I can't see it happening anytime soon.

I don't think that just because they emphasized Wii Fit that it all they care about is the non-gamer. Just look at it this way, the Wii Balance Board is a New kind of controller. Imagine a surfing game or new Tony Hawk, SSX, that knows if you are on balance or not. You could even make a Silver Surfer game...

See you have to look at the positive and don't hate on the money.

God just don't buy a Wii and go home and play your own games already.

I'm sure the smashing success of Guitar Hero, Dance Dance Revolution, Buzz, and Singstar on the PS2 meant that Sony immediately stopped making new games and went straight for the casual audience. Oh wait, they didn't, 'cause there's room for both. Just like how Nintendo released, what, three casual titles as compared to the 15 or so gamer titles? Get over yourselves people. The reason you don't see Wii gamers is complaining is because the games are still there, still being enjoyed. That and we like playing something besides an FPS with a bunch of ugly guys running around killing each other every once in awhile.