By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why didn't I invest in Majesco?

Atlus...they seriously need to hype Trauma Center 2 more. Excellent sales may lead them to make a more ambitious Trauma Center. Those guys are seriously creative.

Around the Network

atlus seems like they have a good portfolio, and seem to have good IPs.

etrian odyssey for instance, a game i played quite a bit

i have no idea about their company though... maybe i should look it up.

the Wii is an epidemic.

取引値
7/13 610
前日比
+2 (+0.33%)
前日終値
出来高
時価総額
8,551百万円
始値
高値
安値
売気配
買気配
発行済株式数
14,017,783株
配当利回り
---%
1株配当
---円
株価収益率
(連) 20.08倍
1株利益
(連) 30.38円
純資産倍率
(連) 0.73倍
1株株主資本
(連) 830.89円
株主資本比率
(連) 62.8%
株主資本利益率
(連) 3.67%
総資産利益率
(連) 2.32%
調整1株益
---円
決算年月
2007年3月
単元株数
100株

from yahoo japan.  i don't know japanese, but knowing chinese characters, so some guesses become certainty.

market cap: 8551 mln yen = 70.1 mln US   that's it? well then majesco certainly isn't worth more than atlus.

share price: 610 yuen  p/e 20.1.

only 20.1?  really?

unfortunately kinda hard to get additional info without knowing more japanese.  which translates into "ah, forget it".

the Wii is an epidemic.

Majesco would have been a very poor investment. They may be riding high now, but that's all a matter of chance rather than the merits of their company. They have not yet released a major product that didn't cause them large financial losses and if they ever tried to expand their business in a meaningful way it'd be a disaster. They do well enough with cheap, small-scale projects (usually licensed) and would continue to make gains by focusing on that aspect of the business but that severely limits growth potential. Frankly, the company has in all lilkihood set itself up for another big loss already, and that's not the sort of company I'd put my money in even if they did see a massive gain over a short period of time. They almost certainly will lose it all.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

I think they have enough potential for a small company. They can easily focus on "cooking games" for starters - release yearly updates on the Wii/DS - which would cost little, and bring in easy revenue. They by gradually picking other casual/original IP titles - they can expand.

I doubt they will ever be huge - but they may actually turn a profit, which is better than a lot of publishers ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

I suppose that's true. I just think their current value is a bit of a fluke and won't continue to increase very much, and perhaps not even maintain its value. Long term, I wouldn't trust them to grow all that much even if they continue to produce steady profits.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

yeah, there are serious problems with majesco. they don't own the IP to their cooking games--they license it from Taito in japan. so they pay a fee just to publish the game. if Taito decides to license to another company, or god forbid, make the north american release themselves, majesco loses their best seller.

ditto for their second best seller, puzzle bobble. another license. cake mania on the DS, another licensed product. age of empries DS, licensed from microsoft. see what i mean by they just can't seem to come up with good IPs? that psychonauts and advent rising they made were financial disasters.

this blast shooting game... got potential. that's one point for Majesco. still, looks like it obtained rights to an existing game, although that existing game seems like is made by an individual, so easier to obtain rights.

on quality of games: its Soduko games are horrible. last year x'mas time they managed to cash in somewhat on 2 brain training games. but quality wise, they suck. a lot. i looked through their entire game list and, yes, 90% of them suck.

NY Times crossword is encouraging, that's the only one. its implementation seems okay, but could be better. there's another dinosaur game for kids that seemed okay. they had a hit with Jaws on the PS2, but that was 2, 3 years back.

they've got stuff like strawberry shortcake DS and a few other truly kids title, again licensed products, which is more okay since they're not licensed from a gaming company, but Majesco doesn't seem to have a coherent strategy with regards to making games as a collection. they don't have a brand power whatsoever, say it Atari or Midway, two other companies also struggling. i would be happier if they decide to collectively start putting those kids games under one game engine, to both save money and improve quality, but they seem to contract different developers to make those games. very shortsighted approach. with Disney and other companies starting to spend major money targeting kids in gaming, Majesco can't compete.

in short, the Majesco knows how to BRING games to the market, but they don't seem to have people who know how to CREATE them. they are literally nothing more than just a publisher of games.

Majesco may still rise with the Wii and DS platform starting to dominate, but it's hard to place your trust in such a crappy company.

also, Majesco has no assets valuable as a takeover target. if they die, they simply go away.

for me, i decided to sell all my position in Majesco when they announced they'll bring Kengo: Legend of the 9 to the 360, which is almost certain to be crap. spending resources on the 360 is completely against their strategy of low-budget casual titles, and that was the last straw for me.

so, i told myself, better to overpay for good game companies stock than pay fair price for crap game company stocks in the same thriving business. don't be greedy--this is not my kind of company to invest in. leave it to maybe hedge funds who routinely deal with this kind of situations.

the Wii is an epidemic.

I was going invest in Majesco too but after knowing the 360 ninja game, no thanks. They hit a good goldmine with the Wii and DS but then wasting it away in a foolhardy venture like 360 development for the company that they are, no thanks.

Atlus is definitely making good games. They sure have a lot of variety of games that other company shy away from. Actually, Atlus is somewhere on my top 10 fav companies (as in, trusting them to make good enjoyable buyable titles). Started to notice that I was enjoying their games nearly a year ago.

Their stock probably won't jump much thought, IMO. Due to all the quirky titles that not favorable by the masses. (Take Etrian for an Example)

i originally bought majesco at 1.57 i think... and i bought more when it went down to the 1.30's my average price is 1.48 i think. I remain confident that majesco is going to turn around and i think 2008 will be a great year. The 360 game was a big dissapointment but they might have already paid mircrosoft a pretty penny just to publish games on the 360... so i wouldent blame them not wanting to waste that. Its also a big dissapointment that they dont develope any of their games internally. But they seem to have really good relations with the companys that the publish games for. so far all the recently announced games for majesco seem to be good casual games that are cheap to make. Im confident they will beat estimates and i will continue to hold the stock. Also, they do have one title in development that they are developing internally (Fish Tycoon) although developing internally might not be right word...more like porting internally, the title was orignally developed by big fish games.
As far as their published games... they have exclusive rights to most of their games for a certain ammount of time.... i know they have the exclusive rights to cooking mama for 3 years. But even if they dident, im confident they have really good relations with their developers and im confident they will come back to them repeatidly.

I also own nintendo stock, average buy price is 19.00 i plan on holding that for a while as well.

I also own Ubisoft (finding the ticker was a bitch) ubsff.pk Bought ubisoft around 50, they will benefit greatly from their strong early wii support, and they have a strong casual lineup comming out. Not to mention they have their petz games that sell on the DS.... they are making a killing on those. they have 5 or so differnt petz games with differnt actual pets, like hamsters dogs cats horses. They look pretty cheap to make and they sell really well. They have the word coach games etc comming out soon too.

EA is a monster, i would invest in EA but their price/earnings ratio is over 200, its insane. they are heavily investing in online games/cellphone games/casual and overseas (china korea etc)

Honestly besides a few exceptions i dont think you can go wrong investing in video game stocks right now.

I think Mad Catz (MCZ) might benefit from the wii eventually, but only time will tell...
Just think of all the controllers they could make for it, classic T16/n64/genesis/NES etc not to mention accesories like steering wheels and zapper guns etc.

IF you want to talk about majesco or video game stocks im on aim: TruthTaco

Thread about nintendo at superior investor http://www.superiorinvestor.net/thread4480.html