By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So did MGS4 fail to meet expectations?

It probably failed Sony's expectations, but not Konami's. Konami knew what it would sell and it did quite well. Sony really really wanted a system seller that would permanantly put them well above the Xbox 360 forever but it didnt. They at minimum wanted a similar effect to Halo 3 but they had to do a $100 price cut during the week of the launch and bundle the game to have a similar effect

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
leo-j said:
KylieDog said:
shanbcn said:
lol
Just 4 million LTD? At the end of the year 4.5 million MGS4 will be sold so over 6 millions LTD is pretty much given. Remember great game always have great legs.

Poor legs for MGS4 then?

(I bought a damn PS3 for that crap, I earned the right to forever slate that game!)

Seriously though, MGS4 sales are through being bundled with the only BC PS3 unit.  Is why it is selling more in the US despite bigger PS3 numbers in Europe, and europe having the history of selling more MGS games.

When that bundle stops so do MGS4 sales.

Good thing the bundle stopped a month ago.. or 2..

If by stopped you mean 'still being sold in stores' then yes, you're right...

Two minutes on google shopping shows how much crap your statement is, no offence.

Uh... 2 things.

A. We probablly don't track those backwood sellers in the middle of boofoo land so those numbers probablly aren't in our data (what the 50 units that are out there will really effect it)

B. Who ever buys those is obviously looking for the MGS4 bundle and obviously wants one for... MGS4... how is that any different than purchasing a Ps3 and MGS4 seperate? It isn't. It should be in the data

jenny said:
It probably failed Sony's expectations, but not Konami's. Konami knew what it would sell and it did quite well. Sony really really wanted a system seller that would permanantly put them well above the Xbox 360 forever but it didnt. They at minimum wanted a similar effect to Halo 3 but they had to do a $100 price cut during the week of the launch and bundle the game to have a similar effect

If it failed Sony expectations Sony obviously would have had more bundles available on day one.

It looks to me like they actually really underestimated the MGS4 effect in NA...

WHat 100$ price cut the week of the launch ? The price of the PS3 hasn't changed for now one year...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
jenny said:

If it failed Sony expectations Sony obviously would have had more bundles available on day one.

It looks to me like they actually really underestimated the MGS4 effect in NA...

WHat 100$ price cut the week of the launch ? The price of the PS3 hasn't changed for now one year...

Lol i wasn't going to comment on that idiotic statement but she is refering to the walmart 100 dollar gift-card after buying ANY blu-ray player.

It exceeded Sony's expectations.

Remember retailers were angry at Sony, saying they could have sold three times as many MGS4 bundles then they received from Sony.

Starcraft, if you look at previously MGS games, you will notice they have long legs. Look at the opening week of MGS3 in NA for example.

Around the Network

Just to put this troll of a thread to rest.

First week sales

Darth, disolitude, johnsobas - TOTAL --- 1. 4 Million (Met expectations.)

Eagleeyes and elias - 1m (Severely under estimated MGS4 so it met their expectations.... funny those are both xbox fanboys)

arzm2k - Total: 1.6million (right fucking on)

obieslut - WW=1.6 million edited lol more closer to 2 million. (Holy crap. A huge ps3 fanboy... right on)

rock_on - SW= 2 million copies of MGS 4 sold. (Overestimated but not by much and we all know it is a joke account who makes the Ps3 seem godly... so... basically if he thought it would sell close to 2m he would have said 3.)

Famine - SW - 1.8 - 2 million (Pretty freaking close AND "Pretty optimistic for this one particular game." They were being optimistic. Basicaslly they were saying they were expecting it to be lower.

Imperial - S.W 800k-1.5 (Severly underestimated)

libellule - TOTAL --- 1. 5 Million (spot on)

revelutions - MGS software 1.5m worldwide

prosugno - TOTAL --- 1. 367 Million

munkeh - Total: 1.65m

koffieboon - Total - 1350k

rowles - 1400K SW

slimbeast - total = 1.5 million (1st year sales near 4 million, lifetime around 5 million)

sami630 - 1700k SW

thx1139 - MGS4 will sell 1-1.5 million copies initial week.

dark_dragoon - Total: 1.2 million

jjseth - SW: 1.9 Million units

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crazzyman - Total = 1.8 million, but there is chance to reach 2 mln. (Almost spot on he didn't make some crazy prediction... but at the time everyone thought this would be impossible)

mitsuhide - WW: 1.4 million

Noobie - NA 325k
Others 275k
Jap 125k

starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:

Nope.  The OP is a question, not a statement or an argument.

Since you can't refer to any predictions, I'll refer to your "6-8 mil" argument as speculation (per the usual).

This entire thread represents a question, replied to with speculative opinions from others.

Much like 99.65% of the comments made on this site, all of what is in this thread is speculation, bar the sales figures that currently exist.....well below previous numbers.

Other examples of speculation can be found here.

Hold the fucking phone.

My thread is not speculation.  I asked a question about what people thought about the price drop, and it's effects.  I didn't say anything about it, speculation would have fell into the thread had I given a reason for the price drop, when what I did was ask what the reason was, and gave choices.

This is speculation though, when you said that A) Sony Moneyhatted Konami (can't be proven true or false) and, B) when you said that 5 million was the lowes that PS3 fans said it will sell.  You make two claims, yet back neither of them up.

That my friend is speculation.  My thread is based on fact. 

Don't try to change the subject from your speculation to something else.

Wait?  Your thread is a question, but then by the end of your post it is fact?

We have been over this before.  You apply your literal interpretation of the word speculation only when someone else is involved, never to your own posts.  If we really did broadly apply the principle, this site's forums would be nearly non-existant.

Also, I don't see where I said 5 million was the lowest expectation PS3 fans had........

No, the thread is a question, the fact is that the first price drop failed to do much in Europe (if it's almost being outsold by the PS2).  that was the fact.

You didn't post any fact though, as you can see by my points A and B in the above post.

And at the bolded statement

Are you fucking blind?

I doubt it. Thinking back to all the prediction threads, 5 million seemed to be the expected minimum for the majority of MGS fans.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=1242330

It's a fact that the Xbox 360 price cut did nothing?  It could well have added 200k sales.  I think it is very much your own interpretation that it did nothing.

As for blindness, you said that I claimed the lowest expectation PS3 fans had was 5 million.  I actually said 5 million seemed to be the lowest expectation MGS fans had.

Your claim that PS3 fans are the same as MGS fans is pure speculation.

Ding ding!

Another hollow victory for starcraft.

Getting out on technicalities seems like all you are able to do, instead of having a conversation about anything.

Well whatever, apparently, throwing "Seem" or "maybe" or "could" makes any statement less definite.  Shame that you can't have a backbone, be a man, and say what you mean, not all of your usual speculative bull.

So, back to the topic at hand, where are said links to the 6-8 million predictions by MGS fans?  If not, then I'll go back to my topic of most of your posts being speculation.

DMeisterJ said:

Ding ding!

Getting out on technicalities seems like all you are able to do, instead of having a conversation about anything.

Well whatever, apparently, throwing "Seem" or "maybe" or "could" makes any statement less definite. Shame that you can't have a backbone, be a man, and say what you mean, not all of your usual speculative bull.

So, back to the topic at hand, where are said links to the 6-8 million predictions by MGS fans? If not, then I'll go back to my topic of most of your posts being speculation.

Did you seriously just attack me for lacking "backbone?"

Whenever you face an argument you think you cannot definitively win, you try to detract from the validity of the argument by claiming anything involved with it is "speculation."  This of course is a truistic argument that if broadly applied would render useless almost any and all discussion on these boards.

Interestingly, a complete double-standard exists in that you never apply this yardstick too yourself, or more broadly, any PS3 fans.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:

Ding ding!

Well whatever, apparently, throwing "Seem" or "maybe" or "could" makes any statement less definite. Shame that you can't have a backbone, be a man, and say what you mean, not all of your usual speculative bull.

So, back to the topic at hand, where are said links to the 6-8 million predictions by MGS fans? If not, then I'll go back to my topic of most of your posts being speculation.

Whenever you face an argument you think you cannot definitively win, you try to detract from the validity of the argument by claiming anything involved with it is "speculation."  This of course is a truistic argument that if broadly applied would render useless almost any and all discussion on these boards.

Interestingly, a complete double-standard exists in that you never apply this yardstick too yourself, or more broadly, any PS3 fans.

Blah blah blah.

Back to what started the argument.

Can you please link me to the "6-8 mil" predictions for the game?

If not, don't bother replying.

DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:

Ding ding!

Whenever you face an argument you think you cannot definitively win, you try to detract from the validity of the argument by claiming anything involved with it is "speculation." This of course is a truistic argument that if broadly applied would render useless almost any and all discussion on these boards.

Blah blah blah.

Back to what started the argument.

Can you please link me to the "6-8 mil" predictions for the game?

If not, don't bother replying.

Oh of course, dodge the issue and take it 'back to basics' when someone points out a floor in your methodology.

Here is the way you are thinking:

You can't win the technicalities argument having dug yourself a giant hole with all this speculation nonsense, so now you are hoping for one of two things.  If I don't give a link, you will claim that this entire thread is baseless and that it is fundamentally flawed.  If I can give a link, you will set about attempting to discredit whichever poster made the prediction, as though this would in some way win you the argument despite my never having said I lent credence to the prediction itself.

Essentially, you have decided you cannot win, so you are trying to turn this into an indefinite debate.

After all, an indefinite debate is a debate that cannot be lost.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS