By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If you like Guitar Hero get out your Wallets!

This just in, Activision is still running their IP's into the ground.

Im not actually amazed.

And You Think There Are Too Many Guitar Hero Games NOW?

Wait til you see the future! During their analyst's day conference call earlier today, Activision announced their intent to run the Guitar Hero brand into the ground. While Bobby Kotick said in May that they want to continue to "expand" the franchise, they've today got specific, saying that means they want 3x the number of Guitar Hero games on the market in 2010, by bringing in more and more developers to work on the series. Yeah. Three times. There'll have been three Guitar Hero games in 2008 by the time Christmas rolls around, so you do the math. Guitar Hero: Timbaland, coming soon!

Thats right! You'll have 9 Guitar Hero games you will have to buy. Made by different developers.

Thanks Activision, for once again killing a series I used to love before you touched it.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Around the Network

I don't get why this is necessary. Why not just expand the downloadable store like EA does with Rock Band? At least then it's like you have one large game and not 10 different smaller ones. I really hope that quote about three times as many is an exaggeration.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Sounds good to me. A rental is a rental. This seems like a win for everyone.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Onyxmeth said:

I don't get why this is necessary. Why not just expand the downloadable store like EA does with Rock Band? At least then it's like you have one large game and not 10 different smaller ones. I really hope that quote about three times as many is an exaggeration.

I think in their minds, releasing all these SKUs = More money. Its the only thing I can think of, since They are just segmenting their music base. If I like Metallica I can get the Metallica game, then if I like Offspring I would then have to drop another 60 dollars to play those songs, and if I like Rage Against the Machine thats another 60 dollars dropped, and I need to swap out games to play different songs.

I assume that its different band specific games, since what else can it be? They have a game with all instruments. Unless they start making Guitar Hero: Drums! and Guitar Hero: Singing!

Oh god, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

FreeTalkLive said:

Are you sure you're replying to the right thread?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:
FreeTalkLive said:

I was going to respond to him, pointing out there isnt enough stuff to expand upon in a music game to warrant 9 games in a single year with a continuing platform to support (GHWT), so all these games are probably going to be rehashes of each other, pumped out in an accelerated time frame so probably of lower quality and if he wants to waste his money renting them then he can.

But then I stopped caring. :)

Onyxmeth said:
FreeTalkLive said:

Yes.  I'll not play the cell phone, PC, or DS versions.  Heck, there may even be a PSP version I'll never play.  It's fun playing GH whatever on 360 while I'm at a store.  However, if GH Metallica, Beatles, 70s, County, Punk, Metalcore, or whatever comes out, it may be worth a rental.  I get 1 rental a month at no extra cost and places like Blockbuster sometimes have rental discounts so it sounds good to me.  The more good to decent games on the better for everyone in the world.  Activision is doing us all a great service.

You might argue DLC vs. rental.  I already have 2 GH games and only plan to buy 1 more this generation (unless I find one I really like for under $40)  The more GH games, the more games a may be interested in renting.  A rental costs from $6 to $7 (when not on special or you could always go the online rental route).  3 songs of DLC only costs a little less than that.  I'd rather have a game for a week than 3 songs for life because I'll get more fun out of the game than 3 songs.  Of course, PS2 and DS don't even have DLC so they need new games.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Damn, that's what I call milking a franchise, Capcom got shown the fuck up.

FilaBrasileiro said:

This is Activision we're talking about though...ever heard of Tony Hawk?

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

elprincipe said:
FilaBrasileiro said:

This is Activision we're talking about though...ever heard of Tony Hawk?

What were they up to when Neversoft moved to GH? Tony Hawk number 13?