By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Need help, Mac + Firefox

In the class Im in now were using Mac OS X and Firefox as a browser and Iv never used either :S.

Anyone got any tips?

Around the Network

Firefox works just like Internet Explorer, only better.

though I do prefer Safari myself. Anyways, what kind of tips are you after? All I can really say is just fiddle around for a while, it's all pretty intuitive.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

What are you needing help with specifically? If you know PCs pretty good, things are are more similar than you might think. The only problem I see is that the longer you work on the Mac, you are not going to want to go back to a PC again. You can PM me with any specific questions if you would like, I have been on macs for over 14 years now.

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

well I hate the mouse. No right click, no scroll wheel...

Just general need too know like whats important. What should I know.

Around the Network

Well there is the Dock with applications on it.. not all of them... there should be a map on the mac hd with the name applications in it... all the applications are packed together in one file so no hasseling with .exe.. just click on it and your applications should work..

use ctrl + left click if you want to right click.. but get another mouse with a scrollbar and right button... need more??

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Funny thing I just installed firefox today odc following my thread yesterday.

Really liking it.
ot sorry I cant help you out still getting my head around it myself.

O-D-C said:
well I hate the mouse. No right click, no scroll wheel...

What mouse did you get? Apple's own mighty mouse can right click, so......

Also, firefox works the exact same on Mac as it does on other PC's.

Generally, it will do everything that a PC does, but the commands may be in a different place than you're used to looking. Best advice is to explore. Be curious, look at the menu commands. Note that most keyboard shortcuts use the command key rather than control. If you think a certain intuitive command should work, it very well might.

Since the IT dept hasn't seen fit to replace that old Apple mouse with a decent $10 Logitech wheel mouse, you can simulate a right-click by holding down control while you click.

An important thing to note is that Mac OS doesn't by default quit a program when you close a window. Ignorance of this fact can lead to runaway use of system resources due to every damn program staying open. You can actually quit a program by hitting command-Q, or selecting Quit from the application menu or a menu which appears when you click and hold on a program's dock icon. You can tell what programs are running by the little black arrows under the application icons in the dock (or blue orbs in 10.5).

Useful UI commands include command-tabbing (just like alt-tabbing), option-clicking on a window or desktop to hide all other windows, Expose commands which are usually bound to F9-11 by default, and option-command-escape to bring up the force quit window.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions or issues.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

@O-D-C, are you talking about the mighty mouse? It does have right click, just lift your index finger off the left side of the mouse and click on the right side of the mouse with your middle finger. The ball on the top acts as a scroll wheel.