By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Reistance 1 campaign is awful

I only have 1 game for my PS3 and dont really have any games on the system that interest me, but I fugured I'd rent some of the big games on the system I ended up getting MGS4 and Resistance. Im by no means a FPS fan, I love Counter Strike but off the top of my head the last 4 FPS's I beat were XIII(meh), Half Life 2(amazing), Halo(crap) and If you consider it an FPS Portal(short but amazing). I also played HL episode 1 and I couldnt get into it. In my honest opinion the FPS genre has hit a wall, you can change the scenery but its all just skins on the same generic formula(Portal I will admit added soem hope to the genre).  Onto the game....

Ive heard a lot of great things about this game, as its been said to be an average 85-90 game to my reccolection so I was expecting something pretty good. I played the campaign on normal, by myself, cause my roomate played it before me and said that is sucked too much to play with me(though I admit co op is usually a lot more fun than single). So I played the game and got to the last board in about 4 2 hour play sessions before I had to return it.

The good of the game:Maybe one instance where I remember there being a bit of graphical slowdown, game runs flawlessly. Graphics were fine, but Im no graphics whore. Game has a story....not much of one(main character was lame though), but more than a lot of other FPS's. Good controls, even though I dont really like playing FPS's with a controller, it was very easy to get headshots. Co op mode and multiplayer with 40 people. 3 or 4 of the games boards were really fun.

I was indifferent to the gun selection, to be honest I didnt have much use for anything outsided the Carbine/Bullseye and the occasional use of the sniper and rocket launcher. I did like the multiple grenade types especially the spikey grenade.I did not care for thelack of multiplayer options as I remember there was DM team DM and CTF. I consider that a bit thin, but multiplayer is still a good time, so 20 vs 20 battles is cool and the game seems well populated to this day despite bigger and better FPS's being out there(COD4).

The bad: Uninspired level design for the most part, though the levels are numerous many are repetitive.....its like they didnt even try. There are several stages that felt like they just copied and pasted the same thing 3 or four times over and just put them end to end. Absolutely awful. Another thing that slightly bugged me is that the levels were linear boards. I had hoped that would have changed by now in FPS's but no luck. One thing that infinitely pissed me off is that  some boards seemed like they would not be linear, like some in some boards there were houses you could go into, up to the second floor just to find NOTHING. Or a sewer passageway that would go a different way than the linear path and lead to a gate which you could not pass with no weapons or health whatsoever. Whats the point of that, why in gods name would you just not put a door on the house so you dont get my hopes up that there would be something inside. Thats bad level design and plain retarded. I dont remember there being any secret areas, but maybe they were jsut well hidden, so I cant say thats a flaw as of yet.

The bad guys in the game were ok and it was unorthodox to play a game with no boss battles (I did not finish the final stage)whatsoever, which is actually a refreshing change of pace. The AI for the most part was awful, there were a lot of guys that would just stand in one ploace getting shot in the face as if nothing bad was happening until they were dead. Some guys would just stand out in the open and just shoot then take a few steps to the left/right and just stand there. They were right next to a box and didnt care to take cover like their buddies. A lot of guys always know where you are even behind walls(damn you auger guys) but I guess we can chalk that up to alien technology. The long leg guys are rediculous, they just run at you and you melee them to death. I fough dozens of them and have no idea what they do, they just run into your melee attacks and die. Perhaps that is due to diffuclty.

The normal diffuclty is too easy, now this wouldnt be a major problem if I were to own the game, but since it was a 5 day rental I couldnt just start over. Its almost impossible to lose, the bad guys (with exception of the Auger guys and metal spiders) put up no challenge whatsoever. Everywhere you walk is vials of heath. I could literally just move around blindly without looking at the screen and find health in like 10 seconds in any enviroment. I dont think I went below 2 bars of health until around level 27.

The enviroments of the game have very few breakable/destroyable objects. I expected that fps's by now would have more  interactive enviroments. There are endless boxes with nothing inside of them, it would have made some sense that some of the random ammo and health that is all over the place would be inside the boxes. Exploding cars and barrels in the game were cool and at times useful. I also enjoyed how the glass broke.

And my final dissapointment, theres a board where you get to drive a metal spider(the first one). Inside, Im like, sweet Im gonna kick some ass in this big ass spider. So I kill 2 spiders and 3 tall guys with flame guns and the boards over. That was like 2 minutes, the shortest board in the game proceeded the high point of my hopes in the game.

Overall this Id rate this game a 6 out of 10 with the score being that high mostly due to multiplayer. I cant believe any magazine would give this game 10/10 or A+ or whatever. I think its a a shame this game sold so well as I feel this oversaturated genre needs less generic games like this  and more quality games released. In the same sense Resistance 2 looks like it has made some huge improvments, and is a definite rent for me based on that.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network

Yea i have a completely different view, the thing is R1 is a launch title, and isnt supposed to look like cod4, or even better than HL2..

The campaign is mehish at the start, and slowly gets better, the last 2 levels are amazing.

mM

wtf are u crazy????????? I bought the game solely on teh campagin. so much fun multiplayer... you must like some bad games then....

leo-j said:
Yea i have a completely different view, the thing is R1 is a launch title, and isnt supposed to look like cod4, or even better than HL2..

The campaign is mehish at the start, and slowly gets better, the last 2 levels are amazing.

As I said, Im no graphics whore, so my score wasnt really effected by it. Its way more important to have smooth gameplay withouth slowdown than have "next gen graphics" to me.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

halo 1 was a launch title but it was amazing soo launch title is not really an excuse

Feel free to check out my 8 montages at www.youtube.co.uk/stonj 

you can also find me at myspace.com/jamiestoner47 and on facebook

XBL :: stonj

Around the Network

For a launch title i think its good especially when u play it with 2 players.

what about MGS4?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

i agree, i played the first couple minutes of it and turned it off, never played it again. the game in general actually, not just the compaign

Well, the technical and design issues can be blamed on the fact that this game was rushed for launch. People rated the game high because they were giddy of the thrill of being able to play a game on the PS3.

stonj said:
halo 1 was a launch title but it was amazing soo launch title is not really an excuse

The difference is that Resistance was rushed for launch, was Halo?