By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WILL Blu ray go to xbox 720?

sergiodaly said:
kowenicki said:
ollie3650 said:

Does anyone think it is a possiblity that Blu Ray will be going to Microfsts next console?

I personally think that it is unrealistic as Microsoft would have to pay Sony Billions to use it.  And from their point of view it would be directly financing their enemy.

Saying that Microsoft could afford it and it is a big advantage Sony has over Microsoft.

Your Thoughts

DISCUSS

How many more times do we have to do this.  Sony do NOT own Blu-Ray.

Did you know that Microsoft earn money from blu-ray sales?  Thought not.

proof?

Oddly enough, Microsoft isn't in the BDA. Not sure why I thought it was.

Sony is one of 20 board members, and 78 contributors, in the BDA, however.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

I think it is a definite possibility that xbox720 will have blu-ray. Microsoft can stay behind times forever and Blu-ray will be needed unless they want 5 disc games..

Everyone take a look:

http://us.blu-raydisc.com/

It's not owned by Sony, they are there own company. MS will more than likely take Blu-ray.

Blu-ray is slowly replacing DVD.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

Approx $13/ xbox 720 and $0.13 a disc. If it was on the 360 it would be now

40M consoles x$13 = $520,000,000.00
and $013 / every blu-ray game........ Ya, it's a LARGE figure. And Sony DOES get a big chunk of that........

WilliamWatts said:
kowenicki said:

My earlier post stands... and I havent read all of this thread... but do people (like the OP) really believe that Sony own Blu-ray?

Pay Sony billions?? lol. They would pay the blu ray assocaition a few millions...

If they went for a unique variant of Blu Ray they could play the movies back but limit their exposure to royalties and the effect of piracy on the discs. Alternatively they can use the Blu Ray 'drive' but not actually pay money for playback and make the end user activate it and further reduce the royalties paid per console.

Why stop there? The Sony/Panasonic update allowed for 33GB Blu Ray discs by increasing the number of tracks however if they went for a variant with a lower wavelength laser (towards ultraviolet) they can fit more information in per track at a higher density and thereby increase the overall read speed at any speed the drive spun at. In addition to this it would be impossible to burn a disc in a conventional drive to match.

So for example, the PS3 drive reads at 9 MB/s (72Mbps/8) or 4.5MB/S per 1x speed of the drive. If they had 1/3rd more data per track they could infact read at 6MB/s per 1x and a 6x or 8x drive would read at 36 or 48MB/S which makes it viable again for them to go without a HDD on an 'Arcade' SKU again if they wanted to and enable them to stream off and use true next generation high definition assets far better than current generation consoles.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Around the Network

yes it will have a blu ray as m$ like there consoles to be multimedia focused and if the consumer cant play there favorite movies or music on there console they could lose some sales

SKEEZER AND NINTENDO FAN GIRL ARE MY NEMESIS

YES TO BEER

ps the big problem is that Sony will know exactly when MS will be putting out the 720 if MS applies to use Blu Ray. Sony won't be caught flat footed. If MS uses Blu Ray, not only are they paying the enemy, but can't suprise the world with a 720 release. There are many other options, Even High speed SD Ram flash would be better than DVD. But too expensive.

meatloaf73 said:
Approx $13/ xbox 720 and $0.13 a disc. If it was on the 360 it would be now

40M consoles x$13 = $520,000,000.00
and $013 / every blu-ray game........ Ya, it's a LARGE figure. And Sony DOES get a big chunk of that........

Thats only paid if they enabled playback. Do you really think that they wouldn't just make people pay $30 to activate movie playback on the console and therefore turn it into a money maker for themselves rather than a drain?

Btw the per disc cost at present is about $0.10 and it'll probably drop as some of the patent protection expires.

meatloaf73 said:

ps the big problem is that Sony will know exactly when MS will be putting out the 720 if MS applies to use Blu Ray. Sony won't be caught flat footed. If MS uses Blu Ray, not only are they paying the enemy, but can't suprise the world with a 720 release. There are many other options, Even High speed SD Ram flash would be better than DVD. But too expensive.

They don't have to 'apply' for anything more than 6 months from release. The BR association isn't an exclusive club, its not a Neogaf forum or anything like that.