By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA IV Not Meeting Sales Expectations?

With all the other new games coming out, I don't think GTAIV sales will pick up all that much this holiday season. If anything, I expect a lot of used copies to wind up on shelves.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Reasonable said:
This is all about TT needing GTA as a bargining chip. Nothing more. Sure it's selling less than previous versions but with current HD install base expecting it to was crazy.

It might have sold to 14 - 15M with a Wii version also but looking at the game it seems it was built thinking more powerful consoles only. I'm sure it could be put on Wii but I'd hate to imagine what it would look like...

Um, it would look like the PS2 games, or more advanced. Vice City Stories had the best graphics, given that it came out last, so a GTA game made for the Wii (if not directly ported) would have that look minimum.

Um.  That would need an engine underneath built to roughly that scale of HW.  The engine under GTA IV is clearly way different and would need a lot of changes on Wii.  Look at the amount of detail around the city, the density of activity, etc.  There's more to porting an engine like this that simply reducing number of cars/people or lowering texture resolution.

Have you compared the PS2 version's to GTA IV?  They look like night and day to me in terms of detail and realism.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Kurakasa said:

@ZendolforVGI

This gen = 360/ps3/wii. I am not counting handhelds, since they are totally different ballgame. However, if you do I know there are some games that have sold a lot. Do you want to count mobile games too?

Biased? Maybe realistic would be a better word to describe that. Do you really think that MK wii would sell a lot on 360?

Maybe you think that everyone is a mario-fan but I think that most of those mario-fans have a wii by now. I never said mk wii would flop, I said it would sell "a million, tops".

You know, there are a lot of gamers who never buy nintendo stuff because they just don't like those. Most of them are propably pc/360 gamers.

edit:

I will be surprised if Banjo sells more than a million. My own guess is it will sell 800k-1m.

Now that you've wiggled your way into a more managable hypocrasy, the fun is gone, so I'll leave it at that. Besides that, I've realized you're totally right!

Yes, you're right, I was a fool! You are being completely fair to the Wii. We should all be in awe of GTAIV's impressive sales. The developers themselves being dissapointed just means they must be idiot-savants. Great at development, sucky at sales comparison. We all must realize that only Mario-Boys want to play Galaxy. A real 360 gamer, like me, wouldn't waste their time on crap like that. Pfft, LBP? Baby stuff. Won't sell a million copies. It's based off Mario, afterall. Only Mario boys like Mario, and all Mario boys have a Wii, or it wouldn't sell like it does. When Mario boys run out, Wii will die.

I have seen the light. You're dead on.

No game has sold more than GTAIV this generation on PSWii60, except bundled games, which I don't think should count, nor should handheld, PS2, or PC games count, because if they did, my statement wouldn't hold true. That's the most impressive thing I've ever heard about a game that sold 20 million last gen, but cost more to develop this time, and sold half as well.

Seriously, it was a one liner offhanded comment that you blew out of proportion, the man clearly stated 'this gen', the key word here is 'gen', which colloquially speaking is often use to describe home consoles, the current being the seventh gen, which includes wii/ps3/360.

Whether his statement is correct or not can be debatable, but your attack on the technicality of a word used here in fair context is just silly.

Reasonable said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Reasonable said:
This is all about TT needing GTA as a bargining chip. Nothing more. Sure it's selling less than previous versions but with current HD install base expecting it to was crazy.

It might have sold to 14 - 15M with a Wii version also but looking at the game it seems it was built thinking more powerful consoles only. I'm sure it could be put on Wii but I'd hate to imagine what it would look like...

Um, it would look like the PS2 games, or more advanced. Vice City Stories had the best graphics, given that it came out last, so a GTA game made for the Wii (if not directly ported) would have that look minimum.

Um.  That would need an engine underneath built to roughly that scale of HW.  The engine under GTA IV is clearly way different and would need a lot of changes on Wii.  Look at the amount of detail around the city, the density of activity, etc.  There's more to porting an engine like this that simply reducing number of cars/people or lowering texture resolution.

Have you compared the PS2 version's to GTA IV?  They look like night and day to me in terms of detail and realism.

What made you assume I meant detail, and not polygon count, draw distance, texturing, shading, and mapping, which is what people usually mean when it comes to the differences in the systems' graphics (which is what I assume you meant by the bolbed part)? You can damn well fit all the detail on the Wii. It's just a matter of the above things being adjusted. If you reduce them all to the level of the PS2 games, that leaves plenty of room for all the detail of IV.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

mibuokami said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Kurakasa said:

@ZendolforVGI

This gen = 360/ps3/wii. I am not counting handhelds, since they are totally different ballgame. However, if you do I know there are some games that have sold a lot. Do you want to count mobile games too?

Biased? Maybe realistic would be a better word to describe that. Do you really think that MK wii would sell a lot on 360?

Maybe you think that everyone is a mario-fan but I think that most of those mario-fans have a wii by now. I never said mk wii would flop, I said it would sell "a million, tops".

You know, there are a lot of gamers who never buy nintendo stuff because they just don't like those. Most of them are propably pc/360 gamers.

edit:

I will be surprised if Banjo sells more than a million. My own guess is it will sell 800k-1m.

Now that you've wiggled your way into a more managable hypocrasy, the fun is gone, so I'll leave it at that. Besides that, I've realized you're totally right!

Yes, you're right, I was a fool! You are being completely fair to the Wii. We should all be in awe of GTAIV's impressive sales. The developers themselves being dissapointed just means they must be idiot-savants. Great at development, sucky at sales comparison. We all must realize that only Mario-Boys want to play Galaxy. A real 360 gamer, like me, wouldn't waste their time on crap like that. Pfft, LBP? Baby stuff. Won't sell a million copies. It's based off Mario, afterall. Only Mario boys like Mario, and all Mario boys have a Wii, or it wouldn't sell like it does. When Mario boys run out, Wii will die.

I have seen the light. You're dead on.

No game has sold more than GTAIV this generation on PSWii60, except bundled games, which I don't think should count, nor should handheld, PS2, or PC games count, because if they did, my statement wouldn't hold true. That's the most impressive thing I've ever heard about a game that sold 20 million last gen, but cost more to develop this time, and sold half as well.

Seriously, it was a one liner offhanded comment that you blew out of proportion, the man clearly stated 'this gen', the key word here is 'gen', which colloquially speaking is often use to describe home consoles, the current being the seventh gen, which includes wii/ps3/360.

Whether his statement is correct or not can be debatable, but your attack on the technicality of a word used here in fair context is just silly.

Either this is a dummy account, or this poster picked a hell of a thing to join in for. If the latter, that was not an offhand comment. That user makes comments like that all the time, and treats them as gospel, no matter how the facts or reason prove them wrong.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
mibuokami said:

Either this is a dummy account, or this poster picked a hell of a thing to join in for. If the latter, that was not an offhand comment. That user makes comments like that all the time, and treats them as gospel, no matter how the facts or reason prove them wrong.

Not only that, he defended his comment fiercely, despite being shown that it was obviously incorrect. Quantifying it after it was posted is something you do when you just don't want others to tell you, you were wrong. The correct thing for him to do was to say, "Oops, my statement was incorrect." Not move the goalposts, and act like games that don't fit with his statement dont' count for whatever reason, and we should have known that previously.

If the joke account guy wants to defend someone, he should follow me around, there are plenty of embellishing fanboys who need defending, but don't deserve it, that could use his services.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Not only that, he defended his comment fiercely, despite being shown that it was obviously incorrect. Quantifying it after it was posted is something you do when you just don't want others to tell you, you were wrong. The correct thing for him to do was to say, "Oops, my statement was incorrect." Not move the goalposts, and act like games that don't fit with his statement dont' count for whatever reason, and we should have known that previously.

If the joke account guy wants to defend someone, he should follow me around, there are plenty of embellishing fanboys who need defending, but don't deserve it, that could use his services.

Still crying about this, I see. Maybe you should just stop embarrassing yourself with this kind of crap. I never moved any "goal posts".  You just want to include last gen consoles and handhelds just to "prove" me wrong.

No need for you to try flame anymore, move on.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
mibuokami said:

Not a dummy account, I'm from Australia btw : )

I'm merely pointing out that he made a one liner that is used here in correct context (the current gen = wii/ps3/360). I have no idea if GTA4 is the most successful game in term of sale or not nor do I really care, but at least criticise someone for something legitimate (eg: you are wrong because Guitar Hero is the most successful game release in the current gen - again no idea just an example) instead of over analyzing a statement that have so many different interpretation with one of which supporting his view.

Anyways, since I am new here, there is no way I can know that one liner comments like that could be gospel material, I bow to common sense and it obviously failed here if what you said is true. Cheers

edit: Wait isn't Wii Play more successfull anyways? Please correct if I'm wrong.

I'm sure word of mouth has hurt this games legs somewhat. When people ask us about GTAIV at our store, we always say that it's not as good as San Andreas, that it focuses too much on realism, etc. We recommend games like Gears, MGS4, and Uncharted over GTA, usually.

mibuokami said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
mibuokami said:

Not a dummy account, I'm from Australia btw : )

I'm merely pointing out that he made a one liner that is used here in correct context (the current gen = wii/ps3/360). I have no idea if GTA4 is the most successful game in term of sale or not nor do I really care, but at least criticise someone for something legitimate (eg: you are wrong because Guitar Hero is the most successful game release in the current gen - again no idea just an example) instead of over analyzing a statement that have so many different interpretation with one of which supporting his view.

Anyways, since I am new here, there is no way I can know that one liner comments like that could be gospel material, I bow to common sense and it obviously failed here if what you said is true. Cheers

edit: Wait isn't Wii Play more successfull anyways? Please correct if I'm wrong.

it is more successful, however the poster who said the "one liner" also said that he doesn't think wii play should count.. 

take that as you will