By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA IV Not Meeting Sales Expectations?

Parokki said:
It's not like it was released on a system as strong as the PS2 or Wii after all. =P

Yeah, those 2 are really comparable. Ps2 120m sold, wii 30m sold. Oh well.

Around the Network

Kurakasa said:
Haha. The game has sold better than any other game this gen. Of course TT is disappointed. Where did they say that btw?

I'm pretty sure that Wii-Play has and will outsell it, and it's not even a multiplat. If you wanna talk about getting owned, try comparing individual platform GTAIV sales to some top selling exclusive Wii games.

If Mario Kart Wii was available on the 360 and the Wii, I wonder if GTA would still win?

Also, according to VGchartz, Guitar Hero 3 sold more than GTAIV across all platforms, and it's a 100 dollar game.

So, what does that tell ya?

Also, Wii-Play's sold almost 15 million copies, and New Super Mario Brothers has sold over 15 million.

Where did you get that GTAIV was the best selling game? San Andreas sold 20 million copies bro. GTAIV sold well.....considering.

1 Mario Kart Wii 7.60m
2 Grand Theft Auto IV Rockstar Games 5.90m
1 Wii Play Nintendo 14.65m
1 New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo 15.56m

1 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock 3.19m
2 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock RedOctane 3.35m
3 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock RedOctane 1.53m
4 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock RedOctane 4.22m
1 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Rockstar Games 17.33m
2 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Take-Two Interactive 1.93m
1 Grand Theft Auto IV Rockstar Games 4.41m

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

The game will still do well at Christmas, possibly tacking on a couple million more units at full-price. HD console sales pick up in the holidays and new console owners will need something to play. The game should certainly get past 10 million units at full-price, and should end up with Vice City-like numbers after budget copies sell. Less than they had hoped to have, for sure, since the budget for the game was enormous. There's still ~$10 paid toward development costs for every copy sold, and they were probably shooting for it to be half of that in the end.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Kurakasa said:
Parokki said:
It's not like it was released on a system as strong as the PS2 or Wii after all. =P

Yeah, those 2 are really comparable. Ps2 120m sold, wii 30m sold. Oh well.

Over 8 years versus less than two. Multiply 2 years and 30 million units by 4, and you have 8 years and 120 million units. So I would say that is comparible.

Also, look at Mario Kart Wii, which came out on the same week, and everyone was sure would be run over. It has better legs than either version, and has outsold both versions. And that's not even taking profitability into account.

EDIT: Total sales are still better than either version if you take Japan out, and the legs still apply.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Kurakasa said:
Haha. The game has sold better than any other game this gen. Of course TT is disappointed. Where did they say that btw?

I'm pretty sure that Wii-Play has and will outsell it, and it's not even a multiplat. If you wanna talk about getting owned, try comparing individual platform GTAIV sales to some top selling exclusive Wii games.

If Mario Kart Wii was available on the 360 and the Wii, I wonder if GTA would still win?

Also, according to VGchartz, Guitar Hero 3 sold more than GTAIV across all platforms, and it's a 100 dollar game.

Also, Wii-Play's sold almost 15 million copies, and New Super Mario Brothers has sold over 15 million.

Where did you get that GTAIV was the best selling game? San Andreas sold 20 million copies bro. GTAIV sold well.....considering.

1 Mario Kart Wii Nintendo 98,133 7.78 7.60m 20th Aug 08
2 Grand Theft Auto IV Rockstar Games 71,657 5.76 5.90m 29th Apr 08
1 Wii Play Nintendo 34,627 6.83 14.65m 11th Jan 08
1 New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo 29,855 8.01 15.56m 05th Sep 08

1 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock RedOctane 31,440 7.69 3.19m 22nd Aug 08
2 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock RedOctane 13,966 7.34 3.35m 03rd Sep 08
3 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock RedOctane 10,531 7.74 1.53m 05th Apr 08
4 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock RedOctane 9,263 7.29 4.22m 05th Apr 08
1 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Rockstar Games 26,803 7.83 17.33m 08th Feb 08
2 Grand Theft Auto: San Andrea Take-Two Interactive 3,949 7.74 1.93m 11th Mar 08
1 Grand Theft Auto I Rockstar Games 233,930 7.74 4.41m 13th Apr 08

GTA 4 has sold over 10 million copies, only game that comes even close is cod4. Of course you can nitpick wii play or even wii sports if you are looking for excuses. Those 2 are bundled games, no matter how you slice it.

Would mario kart wii sell on 360? My guess is it would propably sell something like million copies, tops.

Where did I say that GTA 4 is the best selling game ever? I am pretty sure I said "this gen".

Around the Network

Just what other games does Take Two make? Bully? It's no surprise that they were counting on GTA to account for basically most of their profits, and thus perhaps expected too much out of it.

Question though, despite GTA not meeting lofty expectations, is Take Two in financial trouble? Is that the reason for the merger?

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

ChichiriMuyo said:
The game will still do well at Christmas, possibly tacking on a couple million more units at full-price. HD console sales pick up in the holidays and new console owners will need something to play. The game should certainly get past 10 million units at full-price, and should end up with Vice City-like numbers after budget copies sell. Less than they had hoped to have, for sure, since the budget for the game was enormous. There's still ~$10 paid toward development costs for every copy sold, and they were probably shooting for it to be half of that in the end.

Yeah, but the game costs way more to make than Vice City(I'm guessing) and it will sell way less(just over half of what San Andreas sold).

It's easy to see why hardcore gaming is far less profitable than it was even 5 years ago. Plus the cost of living is up, and if your game flops, you're done.

Today, you get much more risk, and far less potential reward for making an expensive core game. TT thought something was gonna magically happen when they released their masterpiece. It didn't. The world didn't end. People were still buying Wii's, and GTAIV didn't move much hardware like everyone expected it to. The game's not a failure. It's just a dissapointment(for them, sales wise).

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Kurakasa said:

GTA 4 has sold over 10 million copies, only game that comes even close is cod4. Of course you can nitpick wii play or even wii sports if you are looking for excuses. Those 2 are bundled games, no matter how you slice it.

Would mario kart wii sell on 360? My guess is it would propably sell something like million copies, tops.

Where did I say that GTA 4 is the best selling game ever? I am pretty sure I said "this gen".

You said this gen. You were wrong. You act like it's fair to compare games that are cross platform to games that are exclusive, in sales, but you then act like it's unfair to include Guitar Hero 3, and you just leave out handhelds alltogether, because they don't fit with your incorrect and silly reasoning. You said "The game has sold better than any other game this gen." Do you care to bullcrap us as to why you were actually right, even though you are so obviously and factually wrong? Or instead, do you wish to revise your statement, and act like we were stupid for not being able to read your mind and understand what you were really trying to say?

Go ahead. Wiggle.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Kurakasa said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Kurakasa said:

Well done ignoring Guitar Hero 3, which has also outsold it

i suggest that perhaps this is the reason it was released on the wii, and not 360.. but again, it does not change the amount it has sold total just by comparing it to what a 360-hopeful believes it would have sold.. 

Even still, you missed Guitar Hero 3

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Kurakasa said:

You said this gen. You were wrong. You act like it's fair to compare games that are cross platform to games that are exclusive, in sales, but you then act like it's unfair to include Guitar Hero 3, and you just leave out handhelds alltogether, because they don't fit with your incorrect and silly reasoning. You said "The game has sold better than any other game this gen." Do you care to bullcrap us as to why you were actually right, even though you are so obviously and factually wrong? Or instead, do you wish to revise your statement, and act like we were stupid for not being able to read your mind and understand what you were really trying to say?

Go ahead. Wiggle.

Oh, I did not know that GH3 has sold that much on 360/Wii/Ps3. In fact, I thought it has sold something like 8 million, as does this site. Well I guess that is false information. And ues, I don't count handhelds. Just this gen home consoles.