By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA IV Not Meeting Sales Expectations?

Onyxmeth said:

A lot of sales for past GTA games came when the games hit the 19.99 price point. I know it gave San Andreas a second life on the shelf. Once they do it for GTA IV I'm sure it'll see the extra 5 or so million they wanted.

I don`t think they want to break sales records. They are more interested in profits. Selling 5 million at that price is the same as selling 1.7 million right now. Marketing and shipping costs won`t go down with the price. i don`t know if the retailers slice of the pie follow the price cut or not. What I mean is that they may not even make 5 bucks at that price point.

Another important factor is the used games market. The only one to profit on those sales is Gamestop.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

I don't get why both Take-Two and Microsoft are not pushing the episodic content due out between November 2008 and January 2009. It would help to get GTAIV back onto magazine covers, gaming websites, message boards, etc (basically free advertising for the game).

ItsaMii said:
Onyxmeth said:

A lot of sales for past GTA games came when the games hit the 19.99 price point. I know it gave San Andreas a second life on the shelf. Once they do it for GTA IV I'm sure it'll see the extra 5 or so million they wanted.

I don`t think they want to break sales records. They are more interested in profits. Selling 5 million at that price is the same as selling 1.7 million right now. Marketing and shipping costs won`t go down with the price. i don`t know if the retailers slice of the pie follow the price cut or not. What I mean is that they may not even make 5 bucks at that price point.

Another important factor is the used games market. The only one to profit on those sales is Gamestop.

Well actually I only meant 19.99 as an example of last gen Greatest Hits pricing, and the extra legs it gave San Andreas. This gen it's 29.99. Do remember there's also the possibility of releasing a Game of the Year edition on the 360 once the 360 DLC releases, same as COD4 got. Sales would boost for that. Maybe they can release it fo full download on PS3 too, like EA did with Burnout Paradise. There's also the upcoming PC version, which they can throw on Steam and see if it sticks.

My point was that I personally think there can be plenty of sales life left in GTA IV, and plenty more cash to be made.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I blame Wii Fit!

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Boo frickin' hoo. (Plays world's smallest violin).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

THE PS2 VERSION SOLD OVER 14 MILLONS ( 4 MILLOS MORE TAHN GTAIV)
AND THE BUDGET OF THIS TITLES IS VERY COMPARE TO GTAIV

THIS IS THE REASON OF " NOT MEET SALES"

What I really want to know is how many copies they were expecting the game to sell. Honestly, I'm sure they've already more than broken even on the game in spite of its ludicrously high budget, and it's already one of the best sellers of this generation, so what more could they possibly want out of the Grand Theft Auto franchise?

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

I thought they said that it's sold over 10 million?
Why does this say 8.5?Maybe this is using that chart that shows only the U.S,U.K and Japan,but then again those markets don't equal up to 8.5 million.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
I thought they said that it's sold over 10 million?
Why does this say 8.5?Maybe this is using that chart that shows only the U.S,U.K and Japan,but then again those markets don't equal up to 8.5 million.

Sales to retailers: 11 million

Sales to consumers: 8.5 million

FishyJoe said:

Sales to retailers: 11 million

Sales to consumers: 8.5 million

2.5 M still on the shelves means they can't sell anymore to retailers. They also have to compete with used units.

They probably expected to sell 15M before having a price cut.

They probably want a bucklet load on money from EA acquisition and having "low" sales of GTA4 is not helping.