By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live user penetration

So I was thinking about an old saying that many have heard--Microsoft has over 12 million+ XBL gamers.  That said I posed a question to myself.  The question is as follows: "What percentage of XBL users based on installed units of XB+X360 does MSFT really have?"

The Xbox had an installed base of over 24.1 million and the 360 has over 20.53 million. Based on these estimates from VGC and the press release of MSFT's claim of over 12 million XBL subscribers I can tabulate by 12 million/million that MSFT has only 26.83 percent of its gamers online.

This explains to a lesser extent why they are desparate for casuals and I cannot forsee anything above a 50% XBL userbase per installed XB+X360 consoles until XBL is free. 

Your thoughts on my reckoning?

Sources:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=XB&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=400

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Live#History

Around the Network

Did anyone else think something else when they saw "user penetration"?

Now dmeister, get you mind of that gutter young man!

halogamer1989 said:
Now dmeister, get you mind of that gutter young man!

My mind was in that same gutter!

Tease.

DMeisterJ said:
Did anyone else think something else when they saw "user penetration"?

I wonder how could anyone think about XBL when they saw that...

Around the Network

Hey! What are you guys doing in my gutter?

Stay on topic, stay on topic. Luke I can't shake off the trolls. Blast it mod where are you!

I think you have to remember that some XBL accounts were made on an Xbox and transferred to a 360 when that came out, a.k.a. migration to the next gen console.

Are these Live users Gold or Silver members?

I know a ton of Xbox owners who never took their console online. Same for Playstation 3 and Wii owners. They just buy the console, play games, and that's it. The cost of online never even came into play. This is anecdotal, of course.

i was expecting something about more child predators seducing children through live

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur