By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Wii Music will NOT be the next great thing

@yushire - Pinball didn't disappear the instant Pong came about it was still strong for a long time after that and you can still play pinball games even today. In the same way the games you like won't just disappear. They will become a smaller part of a much bigger picture as newer types of experience come in to being.

I don't think Wii alone is leading the charge. I think the way the industry is going is away from graphics for the sake of pretty graphics and towards video entertainment that is more interactive. In that respect Guitar Hero and Rock Band are as guilty as Wii for progressing the industry in that direction.

But yes, in this transistion time it will mostly be Wii (like Pong) until someone comes out with the next step (I'm still predicting it'll be someone new to the market - probably Apple) towards interactive entertainment. Next gen will usher in a broad range of various attempts at capitalizing on that and the following generation will probably see the best of all of the preceeding generations attempts combined and enhanced to the pinacle of interactive entertainment. At which point something new will be due to distrub the market again.

Around the Network
Soma said:
Gamerace said:

Unfortunately, that's not what has been shown so far.  Only the ability to 'play' tunes - which means waggling at any speed and the song will play - correctly - at the speed of your waggling.  And the ability to freestyle the instruments.  How well that works is anyone's guess.  No ability to record or truly compose has been shown.

You're right, but at E3 it was a bit different when Miyamoto was on stage, and was playing alone pressing buttons randomly and creating music. I'm sure that option will be in the game  toy, if not....

Yes it is in there.  On gametrailers you can find all sorts of people doing that with various musical intruments - including a dog...

My concern is - that isn't enough.   For example I give you my family (note: I'm ignoring the function to waggle preset songs here)

I love music and would love to feel like I could play but I'm tone deaf.   With Wii Music I could vertually play some notes but without some sort of instruction I will never be able to put them together into a tune.  If the game gave the correct buttons to push in the correct tempo then I could really actually 'play' a song.   But then it'd be a poor man's Guitar Hero and Miyamoto decided NOT to do that.   So for me Wii Music is a noise maker only.

My daughter loves rhythm games and isn't tone deaf but she's not musically skilled either.  She could play with it until she crudely simulated some song - say Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.  But Wii Music has no way to identify what she's trying to play so it can't score her or provide any sort of feedback.   Without that she'll lack any reason to try again.   She'll stick to DDR and GH where she can see the progress and is praised in-game for it.

My son is musically gifted.  I assure you he could quickly master any and all instruments on Wii Music figure out that A is Do, B is Re, 1 is So, etc and be able to freestyle Twinkle Twinkle perfectly within minutes. So Wii Music is perfect for him right?! Wrong.  He's already self-taught himself real guitar, keyboard and learning to play orcarina (yes, he is a Zelda fan... why do you ask?).  Do you honestly think playing with the extremely crude and limited scope of Wii Music would appeal to him?  It lacks the necessary depth to keep him engaged, nor can he record music with it, compose or any such thing.

Maybe musical instruction, rhythm play, progression and more depth are there but if so why havn't they been shown?  With any of that, Wii Music will be too shallow for any but the youngest of minds.

Jo21 said:
vaio said:

A better and more diverse gaming experience for all gamers not just us in the traditional way of gaming.

not for the wii sadly.

one of the promises nintendo make was to get third parties make more mature games.

the thing is third party choose HD over the wii (quite understandable after e3 i feel embarassed of owning a wii and telling people more mature games would come).

this christmas i say suck it and bought a ps3, since brawl hype was over i havent turned on my wii and won't play with it much for a while.

if wii music its their big title for christmas they can stick it where it fit, i am going to play resistance 2 in co op.

Sorry but you will be proven dead wrong.

The third parties are on it now and it shows in the line up for upcoming wii titles we have thread about that filled with info if you are interested wich I assume you are not as you only bash the Wii every chance you get.

If you have a wii and played it I have a feeling that Brawl is most likely the only thing you gave an honest chance if you did that.

I don´t even think you own a wii and not even sat your self down for a proper palythrough with one to form an honest oppionion and not one based on your preferences.

Wii music is not their big title for this christmas but it´s one of them and god forbid they release a big title of a game you have no interest in and god forbid others have an interest in it. Disaster day of crisis is another big title coming and more then a few thirdparties release great games like De blob or the SW games.

You r concerns for third party is a non issue as the Wii continues to outsell both had combined and by this time next year IF the HD consoles doesn´t improve their sales compared to the Wii we will see Wii being the head console wich most games will come to from most developers around.

Go ahead and enjoy your gaming with resistance I am not like you instead I am the opposite and I wish you have a great time playing that game but for me even though I enjoy thoose games and they are my favorite genre I still have done it to death the past 10+ years and even though I want them around I don´t conceed the opportunity to experience other genre´s and let my favorite genre step out of the limelight for a while.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Gamerace said:

Yes it is in there.  On gametrailers you can find all sorts of people doing that with various musical intruments - including a dog...

My concern is - that isn't enough.   For example I give you my family (note: I'm ignoring the function to waggle preset songs here)

I love music and would love to feel like I could play but I'm tone deaf.   With Wii Music I could vertually play some notes but without some sort of instruction I will never be able to put them together into a tune.  If the game gave the correct buttons to push in the correct tempo then I could really actually 'play' a song.   But then it'd be a poor man's Guitar Hero and Miyamoto decided NOT to do that.   So for me Wii Music is a noise maker only.

My daughter loves rhythm games and isn't tone deaf but she's not musically skilled either.  She could play with it until she crudely simulated some song - say Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.  But Wii Music has no way to identify what she's trying to play so it can't score her or provide any sort of feedback.   Without that she'll lack any reason to try again.   She'll stick to DDR and GH where she can see the progress and is praised in-game for it.

My son is musically gifted.  I assure you he could quickly master any and all instruments on Wii Music figure out that A is Do, B is Re, 1 is So, etc and be able to freestyle Twinkle Twinkle perfectly within minutes. So Wii Music is perfect for him right?! Wrong.  He's already self-taught himself real guitar, keyboard and learning to play orcarina (yes, he is a Zelda fan... why do you ask?).  Do you honestly think playing with the extremely crude and limited scope of Wii Music would appeal to him?  It lacks the necessary depth to keep him engaged, nor can he record music with it, compose or any such thing.

Maybe musical instruction, rhythm play, progression and more depth are there but if so why havn't they been shown?  With any of that, Wii Music will be too shallow for any but the youngest of minds.

Just like Mario Paint, you didn't had any instruction in what to do, you were free to do whatever you want. And like Mario Paint, it will only appeal to some people. The bolded part is my only concern about the game, is it confirmed you can play Do, Re, Mi, etc ? If not, then I agree it will be too shallow.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Soma said:
Gamerace said:

Just like Mario Paint, you didn't had any instruction in what to do, you were free to do whatever you want. And like Mario Paint, it will only appeal to some people. The bolded part is my only concern about the game, is it confirmed you can play Do, Re, Mi, etc ? If not, then I agree it will be too shallow.

My assumption is that's the most basic thing it could possibly be.  If you can't even play a scale then what the hell can you do?  But no, I can't say I've actually seen even that confirmed.

Around the Network

I don't remember any Preview mentioning it, but if it can't then it's definitely a Noise Maker lol

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Well seriously I cant tell right now if Wii Music will be succesful or not... But if it is, then it only means our opinions wasnt right either. Also happened before Wii Fit released, many core gamers are angry on Wii fit till its already 7 million in sales already.

Theres another reason why we bash Wii Music its because we're afraid that a casual simple game could crush a multi-million dollar fund game like Grand Theft Auto IV. Just look at the sales of both games, even with 3 million first week release sales GTA IV cant compete with Mario kart Wii.

The more 3rd parties are afraid, the Wii is destroying their established franchise, 3rd parties knew that only select of people buy their established games.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Games have objectives(like high score) and rules. As Wii Music does not have objectives outiside providing entertainment Wii Music is not a game. Wii music is much like most entertainment software on a computer. Get over it. It's just a natural evolution for machines that are behind in software variety.

If you have an aversion to entertainment software on a console then avoid it. It's no harm to any ones sensibilities unless you make it so. Then your just being silly.

I really don't see why we have to beat this topic to the group. Clearly the core gamer doesn't seem to be a big fan of entertainment software. Like MP3 players on a computer :P

I have no idea if this will succeed. I think though that it will have a really low front sales, low numbers in legs, but will sell for

a VERY LONG TIME

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

.jayderyu said:

Games have objectives(like high score) and rules. As Wii Music does not have objectives outiside providing entertainment Wii Music is not a game. Wii music is much like most entertainment software on a computer. Get over it. It's just a natural evolution for machines that are behind in software variety.

If you have an aversion to entertainment software on a console then avoid it. It's no harm to any ones sensibilities unless you make it so. Then your just being silly.

I really don't see why we have to beat this topic to the group. Clearly the core gamer doesn't seem to be a big fan of entertainment software. Like MP3 players on a computer :P

I have no idea if this will succeed. I think though that it will have a really low front sales, low numbers in legs, but will sell for

a VERY LONG TIME

too bad scene it 2, lips and at the movies will be xbox 360's seller and not Gears of War 2.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

I hope so.)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far