By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Virtual Console Gems (Recommendation Thread)

Im surprised that more discussion about the games that are on the Virtual Console doesnt happen here.

What with 250 games available, there must be a very decent selection of games besides the requisite Zeldas, Sonics, and Marios that go unnoticed.

Personally, I only own two games on VC and both are great games.

Landstalker (genesis) - an isometric adventure game that has a personality and style which make up for its sometimes frustrating camera position.

Streets of Rage 2 - a classic beat-em up which i bought despite having the original cartridge.  This is a very accessible game, with an arcade feel.  I really recommend this to everybody that even remotely enjoys the genre.

What games have you found that are worth considering?

Around the Network

In the hidden gem category I'd go with : Bubble Bobble! Simple but effective gameplay, a hundred levels, two player fun, very very challenging and only 5$

Edit : But be warned the song (yes there's only one) will get stuck in your head.

Signature goes here!

^^^Bubble Bobble is the shit... and YS Book I & II is one of the best recommendations I can make aside from Mario RPG. Actraiser is also amazing

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I would recommend Shining Force.

ActRaiser

Around the Network

Punch Out - 500 points, best boxing game ever, extremely fun and entertaining. I'll add few more.

TruckOSaurus said:

In the hidden gem category I'd go with : Bubble Bobble! Simple but effective gameplay, a hundred levels, two player fun, very very challenging and only 5$

Edit : But be warned the song (yes there's only one) will get stuck in your head.

As someone who never played it and downloaded it based on other peoples recommendations I have to admit I find it kind of awkward.  The combat system is absolutely ridiculous.  I could never even make it to Lvl 2 without dying.  From what I've heard though the music is fantastic.  I wanted to like the game, but I must be doing something wrong if I can't kill enough bad guys to gain a level before I die.

Justin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

As someone who never played it and downloaded it based on other peoples recommendations I have to admit I find it kind of awkward.  The combat system is absolutely ridiculous.  I could never even make it to Lvl 2 without dying.  From what I've heard though the music is fantastic.  I wanted to like the game, but I must be doing something wrong if I can't kill enough bad guys to gain a level before I die.

You don't gain levels in Bubble Bobble (when I mentionned levels I was talking about stages). You do get power ups which make you shoot your bubbles faster, farther, make you faster, if you die you loose all of them. You can also collect letters that spell EXTENDED but I never managed to get them all so I'm not sure what it does.

As for the combat system, it is simple (trap bad guys in bubbles, jump on them to kill them) but there's some hidden depth to it. You'll sometimes have to jump on your own bubbles to get to otherwise inaccessible enemies and you also get better rewards if you kill many enemies at the same time.

Signature goes here!

Bomberman 93

Ys Book I & II

Loved the game on the Turbo CD way back when. The CD quality soundtrack and voice samples were left intact, with none of the load times of the original CD-ROM.

Punch Out!

Although I wish it was the original Mike Tyson's Punchout that I remember playing ages ago.
Where's Super Punch Out?! Much better than the original. Never should have given that cart away.