By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - So why do people hate the dreaded Spore DRM (or any DRM) again?

So far, i don`t press any button, that i AGREE with that user agrement license in video games. =)
So.. where is piracy?

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

Has anyone yet to say how the 3 installs thing prevents piracy?

At all? How does this stop people from downloading a game and installing it. I'm not getting this.  Because... when you downlaod and pirate... it's basically 1 install.

The online features and the binding of the game to your EA account are the real piracy features.  The 3 install thing is a scam unless someone can actually explain to me how that stops piracy.

greenmedic88 said:
CrazzyMan said:
When you pay for a game, you're really buying a user license,
so game is FREE?

Anyway, most console games don`t have those user agreements, so i`m free to do with that game whatever i want, NO?

You're really trying to use ignorance as a means of circumventing a legally binding contract, aren't you.

Read the last two pages of most game manuals, console or not and educate yourself as to exactly what are the terms of your user license.

GTAIV, Oblivion, CoD4, Heavenly Sword, GT5 Prologue, Motorstorm, Bioshock, etc. etc. They all have license agreements, terms of use, etc. some far more detailed than others.

You can do whatever you want with them, but whether you think you're within your legal right wouldn't protect you from being sued and losing in court though.

So no, you're not actually free to do whatever you want with your copy.

You guys are forgetting that you belong to different countries. In allmost all of europe you are not buying the license you are buying the game and it´s not illegal to borrow it to someone and have to copies of it.

In the US you aperantly are prohibited from doing so but here in Europe when you buy something it´s yours and you are allowed to do what you will with it unless you are copying it in a big scale and make money from it. Actually most countries only prohibit you to make money on a game you purchased but other then that you are allowed to do anyting you will with it.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

CrazzyMan said:
So far, i don`t press any button, that i AGREE with that user agrement license in video games. =)
So.. where is piracy?

By opening the box you are agreeing to the end user license agreement. Most of them provide a window of time which you can return the game for refund if you do not agree with the eula and are fairly contested. The open box eula has been ruled legal in many major countries with various restrictions on it. You really should try and understand any contract you agree to and by opening the game you are agreeing to the eula.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Kasz216 said:

At all? How does this stop people from downloading a game and installing it. I'm not getting this.

It doesn´t prevent shit, in worst case scenario you have to redownload it agin to paly after three installs but in reality the take all that shit away from pirated copies.

The invented DRM for only one thing and nothing else, to gradualy get u used to not owning the game for more then the copies they allow you so they in the long run can charge you for a game based on how much you install/play it. They want videogames to become the arcade hall in your home where you put a coin in for every game or certain ammount of lives.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
CrazzyMan said:
So.. where is piracy?

By opening the box you are agreeing to the end user license agreement. Most of them provide a window of time which you can return the game for refund if you do not agree with the eula and are fairly contested. The open box eula has been ruled legal in many major countries with various restrictions on it. You really should try and understand any contract you agree to and by opening the game you are agreeing to the eula.

But those agreements doesn´t exist here there are only valid in your country.

By opening and using the game, you are agreeing to the terms of the license.

Again, read the contract if you're not sure whether you're within your legal rights. Call the consumer department if you're still clueless.

vaio said:

You guys are forgetting that you belong to different countries. In allmost all of europe you are not buying the license you are buying the game and it´s not illegal to borrow it to someone and have to copies of it.

In the US you aperantly are prohibited from doing so but here in Europe when you buy something it´s yours and you are allowed to do what you will with it unless you are copying it in a big scale and make money from it. Actually most countries only prohibit you to make money on a game you purchased but other then that you are allowed to do anyting you will with it.

I have to think you are over stating your point here. Intelectual Property laws exist in every major european country and are harsher in some places than here in the US. There are a lot tighter laws on what you are allowed to do with the game but you are still limited. I can think of more than a few sites heavy in torrents that were based out of various European countries that got taken down hard and never made a dime. Same principle for game copying.

vaio said: 

But those agreements doesn´t exist here there are only valid in your country.

Only in my country, no. Not in your country, perhaps. Eulas have been upheld in more than a few European countries. It has been a while since the days where I actually cared about these things but I could try to dig up some sources for you if you like.

Kasz216 said:

At all? How does this stop people from downloading a game and installing it. I'm not getting this.  Because... when you downlaod and pirate... it's basically 1 install.

The online features and the binding of the game to your EA account are the real piracy features.  The 3 install thing is a scam unless someone can actually explain to me how that stops piracy.

It totally doesn't.

No more than a disc key would.

It just makes using the game that much harder for the user over time. And it makes it pretty much impossible to transfer the game to another user.

So basically, it prevents the game from being loaned, shared, handed down, re-sold, etc. which is probably the real intent.