By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - So why do people hate the dreaded Spore DRM (or any DRM) again?

Those who haven't been waiting months or even years to play this game should just wait until EA folds under consumer pressure and provides the equivalent of a retraction by backpedaling on the current DRM install policy.

Better yet, don't bother buying it until it's available via direct to drive service. The disc is of very limited worth as an installer anyway.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
Those who haven't been waiting months or even years to play this game should just wait until EA folds under consumer pressure and provides the equivalent of a retraction by backpedaling on the current DRM install policy.

Better yet, don't bother buying it until it's available via direct to drive service. The disc is of very limited worth as an installer anyway.

It already is i belive.  You can download it via EA's download manager.

You bought a Ferrari and can use it only 3 times, then the car become broken.
Is Ferrari a good car? YES. But is it worth it`s money, does it has a good value, if it gets BROKEN after 3 times usage? NO.

Game and Price+Activation problems - defines product VALUE. People review value of product, not only the content.

Same with x360 and RROD.
Or maybe people shouldn`t complain about RROD? =))

You buy console and can play it till it got RROD. M$ DRM.
:)))

EA should charge only 10$ for this game, if it become BROKEN/NOT USABLE after 3 times install or pc change.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
Is Ferrari a good car? YES. But is it worth it`s money, does it has a good value, if it gets BROKEN after 3 times usage? NO.

I have no problem there. I'll just get my secretary to call Ferrari to re-activate my car.

Galaki said:
CrazzyMan said:

I have no problem there. I'll just get my secretary to call Ferrari to re-activate my car.

Uh oh.  Your secretary just got back to you, and she said Ferrari decided to close its division that handled your particular model's activation.  Tragedy!

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:

Game and Price+Activation problems - defines product VALUE. People review value of product, not only the content.

Same with x360 and RROD.
Or maybe people shouldn`t complain about RROD? =))

You buy console and can play it till it got RROD. M$ DRM.
:)))

EA should charge only 10$ for this game, if it become BROKEN/NOT USABLE after 3 times install or pc change.

1. Terrible analogy with the Ferrari
  2. You can install more than 3 times, read what the DRM is next time before you comment
  3. This is your only warning (and you're very lucky I'm only warning you): do not troll.  There is no need for those RRoD comments.  You know you only made those to stir up trouble.

RROD is great analogy of product become USELESS after using it for some time. There was now trolling. Too much paranoia.

Anyway, Any reason to not be able to use a product for more then 3 times(on more then 3 PCs or 3 times upgraded PC)? Why do you defend so much DRM???

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
RROD is great analogy of product become USELESS after using it for some time. There was now trolling. Too much paranoia.

Anyway, Any reason to not be able to use a product for more then 3 times(on more then 3 PCs or 3 times upgraded PC)? Why do you defend so much DRM???

This is your final chance: drop the RRoD argument.

I know it's flamebait and you know it's flamebait.  You bring it up in this thread for no other reason to stir up trouble.  If I see you mention it again I'll simply ban you.  If you have a problem with the warning bring it up with Naz.

With this interface, I can't tell whether to click on the "quote" button above or below the post I'm trying to reply to without scrolling to the top or bottom of the page. Yuck.

twesterm said:

Wow, how my little thread has grown (now of I only had the time read the 70 or so replies I've missed)!

Anyways, copy protection was a huge problem in 1994, so much so that they had something even worse than the dreade DRM.

Every time you started your game they made you look up a specific page, paragraph, and character in the manuel or ask you some very specific question about something in the manual.

That was far worse than any DRM since this was in the days before the internet and you couldn't just look it up.  If you lost your manual you were screwed.

Oh I remember those days.. I would actually prefer that kind of copy protection to this DRM.

1) Nothing extra gets installed onto my machine

2) I can do whatever I want to my machine and the game will still run

3) I don't have to be online to install the game.  (Does SecuROM require you to be online to install or play? I haven't received my copy yet)

4) I don't have to worry about the company shutting down or no longer supporting the game.

Actually, if it's going to require you to be online anyway, why don't they just require a login using a cd key to play the game?  This seems more reasonable and less intrusive to me.

Kasz216 said:
greenmedic88 said:

It already is i belive.  You can download it via EA's download manager.

Unfortunately, it's not part of a gamer account like Steam, which allows permanent access so long as the service exists or they change download policies (I've had no problems downloading a purchase more than once).

With EA's download service, you pay the same price as a retail copy, which gives you six months worth of access to your download (no way to create a back up of your game? EA's site isn't 100% clear on this). So it maintains an account (user info stored in download manager), but apparently doesn't give the account user access to his or her games past the allotted time. If you can't archive, then you either better not ever reformat the drive you store your EA games on, or risk paying for a six month effective rental.

Not the best solution IMO. Definitely not on par with Steam.

Pay an additional $5.99 and you get:

What is the Extended Download Service?

Think of this as your digital safety net for those unexpected occurrences - like your hard drive frying or a virus infection. EDS means that with the purchase of your digital product, we'll keep a copy of your file for two full years, so you don't have to. You'll gain peace of mind knowing that we have your program stored and ready for you to download again at your convenience.

A little extra protection on your order to keep your products safe? Why not!

Extended Download Service

Terms and Conditions

1. Extended Download Service - Upon payment of the specified fee, Digital River, Inc. ("DR") agrees to provide you (the "End User") a service that enables the End User to make multiple downloads of digital computer software products (a "Product" or "Products") purchased in a single order (an "Order") and downloaded from this Web site (the "Site") for a period of two (2) years after the End User purchases the Product (the "Service").