By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Project Origin is Now F.E.A.R. 2

Mummelmann said:
Why the hell was everyone so spooked by this? They ripped aging and worn stuff from Asian horror movies and implemented it poorly, there was nothing even remotely scary about this title.
Condemned has this beat by miles, I even found Thief 3 a lot scarier.

I don't watch Asian horror movies so while Alma did feel like I was watching a commercial for an Asian horror movie, having her rush out at me suddenly is still a little spooky.

Other than that, I do agree with you fully that it was a mediocre game. The small repetative rooms and encounters felt a little bit like my short time with Doom 3, just that you can have your flashlight and use a gun at the same time.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
The first one was mediocre at best, I really have no high hopes for the second one either if they're gonna forego a good story and gameplay over "good" graphics, cheesy gimmicks and the least scary horror elements since Troll 2 (look it up).
Give me HL2: Episode 3 instead!
Or, better yet, give me HL3...

PS: Deus Ex 3 is also on the way and could release roughly at the same time as FEAR 2 and it will be heaps better I think so keep your eyes open!

I can't stress how wrong this post is...

FEAR has some of the best AI seen in FPS games. Story was great, it actually won an award for best story of the year from Gamespy. It looks great for the time (2004). Most importanly it averags 88% on Metacritic and Gamerankings.

Deus Ex3 will most likely be crap btw...I don't see Edios investing much in this franchise with the financial troubles that they have. Its a shame cause the firs tone was great...second one was garbage tho.

disolitude said:
Mummelmann said:
The first one was mediocre at best, I really have no high hopes for the second one either if they're gonna forego a good story and gameplay over "good" graphics, cheesy gimmicks and the least scary horror elements since Troll 2 (look it up).

PS: Deus Ex 3 is also on the way and could release roughly at the same time as FEAR 2 and it will be heaps better I think so keep your eyes open!

FEAR has some of the best AI seen in FPS games. Story was great, it actually won an award for best story of the year from Gamespy. It looks great for the time (2004). Most importanly it averags 88% on Metacritic and Gamerankings.

Deus Ex3 will most likely be crap btw...I don't see Edios investing much in this franchise with the financial troubles that they have. Its a shame cause the firs tone was great...second one was garbage tho.

The AI wasn't too bad, but you were in small and enclosed areas nearly 90% of the game.

As for the story, it wasn't that great especially because you don't even know who you're playing as. Yes, I know the playable character is part of the story, but I think it really fails in the 'you are that character' thing. Honestly, I think the Half-Life approach would have been better so that the F.E.A.R pointman at least had a name and a face.

Most of the delivery of the story was just boring to be quite honest.

Lastly for the graphics, yes, they were indeed nice for their time. That doesn't excuse the fact that the environments feel repetative as you're going through the game, and you're going through enclosed areas so there isn't a sense of scale. At least unlike Doom 3, there aren't enemies at every corner in the room so dark rooms isn't as annoying.

totally agree disolitude, but mummelmann is widely known for his strange taste in games and opinion about them, so don't mind that =D

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

I didn't really care for the story, and I only got scared once in a while...really quick scares and such.

But I did like the combat and the AI was good...I had a problem with ammo though. There was virtually no way to recover if you saved and were low on ammo...maybe I just sucked though.

Renaming it F.E.A.R. 2 will get it more sales at least...my bet's still on L4D with the better score though hehe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
IllegalPaladin said:
disolitude said:
Mummelmann said:

The AI wasn't too bad, but you were in small and enclosed areas nearly 90% of the game.

As for the story, it wasn't that great especially because you don't even know who you're playing as. Yes, I know the playable character is part of the story, but I think it really fails in the 'you are that character' thing. Honestly, I think the Half-Life approach would have been better so that the F.E.A.R pointman at least had a name and a face.

Lastly for the graphics, yes, they were indeed nice for their time. That doesn't excuse the fact that the environments feel repetative as you're going through the game, and you're going through enclosed areas so there isn't a sense of scale. At least unlike Doom 3, there aren't enemies at every corner in the room so dark rooms isn't as annoying.

Comparing visals of doom3/quake 4 to fear is fine...but gunplay of FEAR compared to those 2 games is not even in the same league.

As far as the small closed ad repetitive environments, the game did not have a large budget at the time. They did the best they could with the resources they had. The game engine was internally developed and it rivals Half Life 2's engine and sound FX were amazing as well. they fell short on variety of environments for sure...but the awesome gunplay made up for it.

Online multiplayer was good too...but it could be improved quite a bit since Halo 3 came out.

IllegalPaladin said:

I could have sworn the guy you played had a name and spoke sometimes...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
I didn't really care for the story, and I only got scared once in a while...really quick scares and such.

But I did like the combat and the AI was good...I had a problem with ammo though. There was virtually no way to recover if you saved and were low on ammo...maybe I just sucked though.

Renaming it F.E.A.R. 2 will get it more sales at least...my bet's still on L4D with the better score though hehe.

No no...sorry this clinches it. Changing the name back to original guarantees the game will have amazing scores... :)

disolitude said:
IllegalPaladin said:
disolitude said:
Mummelmann said:

Comparing visals of doom3/quake 4 to fear is fine...but gunplay of FEAR compared to those 2 games is not even in the same league.

As far as the small closed ad repetitive environments, the game did not have a large budget at the time. They did the best they could with the resources they had. The game engine was internally developed and it rivals Half Life 2's engine and sound FX were amazing as well. they fell short on variety of environments for sure...but the awesome gunplay made up for it.

Online multiplayer was good too...but it could be improved quite a bit since Halo 3 came out.

Where did I compare the gunplay? I only mention that because there aren't monster closets in every room, flickering lights and dark rooms isn't annoying in F.E.A.R as it was in Doom 3. Especially because you had a suit flashlight.

If I want to talk gunplay, having burst fire everytime you click the trigger was annoying.

First one was ok but got a little repetitive.

I would probably give 2 a shot.