By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Informer Bias - CONFIRMED!

If a magazine’s game reviews are fair and impartial there should be some reasonable balance between competing consoles compared to its peers. It might be tougher overall or generally generous but that should be reflected across the board.

Some magazines like Playstation Official Magazine, or Nintendo Power would be expected to have some bias although Game Informer being owned by the largest video game retailer should rightfully be expected to be reasonably fair. Yeah Right!

If you go to Metacritic which lists and averages all reviewers and take a random sample by going down the alphabetical list and take the first ten games that Game Informer reviews for each console:

PS3 – Game Informer Scores 7/10 games higher than the average of all reviewers by an average difference of +6.7 points (highest +23)

Xbox – Game Informer Scores 9/10 games (90%) higher than the average all reviewers by an average difference of +8.9 points (highest +18)

Wii – Game Informer Scores 6/10 games below the average by all reviewers by an average difference of -6 points (lowest -22)

How does this compare with the IGN treatment of the Wii?

Games: 6 above average, 1at average, 3 below average;
average difference +0.4  (Now that’s shows a real lack of bias)

How does this compare with three game specific magazines reviewing games for their own consoles?

Official Playstation Magazine (UK) [Only PS3 Games]

Games:  3 above average, 1 at average, 6 below average;
average difference -9.8 (those guys are tough)

Official Playstation Magazine (US) [Only PS3 Games]

Games:  3 above average, 1 at average, 6 below average;
average difference -1.9 (not quite as tough)

Nintendo Power [Only Wii Games]
Games: 5 above average, 5 below average;
average difference +1 (impressively even handed)

Game Informer’s bias really sucks when they are compared even to Fan Boy pubs. Remember that this is not about quality of games, this is about review performance compared to all other reviewers.

Around the Network

Your point is right :)  (But your signature REALLY annoyed me).

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Magazines are on going downhill. No exception. Is sad but true.

This is a surprise... why? Most review outlets don't try to hide their bias, especially not when the Wii is the target.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

I never saw Game Informer as biased, but yeah, if the numbers say so...

I always get the idea that GameSpot (besides being a total shithole) is extremely biased towards the 360 and against the Wii.

Around the Network

You do realise that using a ten-game sample is way too low to draw any meaningful statistical conclusions from, don't you?

The same thing is happening across the board with the "old guard" review mags/sites. Nobody wants to acknowledge the Wii as anything more than "waggle." The higher reviews for Wii games you usually see coming from the smaller or newer sites.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Well aren't most traditional gaming media generaly biased against the Wii ?

i like them

Man, Grampy...that font has got to go.