By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Informer Bias - CONFIRMED!

Million said:
Well aren't most traditional gaming media generaly biased against the Wii ?

The numbers suggest that IGN is fair or at least consistent with the consensus of all reviews and I believe that is as reasonable a measure of fairness as you can define. They also compare well with a a Nintendo Fanboy magazine which also shows no real anti-Wii bias.

Around the Network

Yep, they are very biased. When they analised the 3 consoles at the beginning they really destroyed the Wii... seems like they were wrong.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Kurakasa said:
bardicverse said:
Kurakasa said:
Maybe they just don't like wii games. Big deal?

Then they shouldn't be reviewing them. A journalist that does reviews needs to go at things with a neutral stance. Disliking a game for the fact that it isn't in HD is not a neutral stance. Plain and simple.

What are you talking about? They should not review wii games unless they give them good scores..? Clearly, if you don't like a wii game it has to be because "it isn't in HD". There can't be any other reason to dislike wii games. Never.

btw:

SMG 98, zelda 100, brawl 95, RE4 95, MP3 95, Okami 93... all above metacritic scores. Wtf was this thread about again? :)

You overlooked my previous thread in which a Wii game was rated much lower, even though the review clearly said it was more fun, better controls, etc. They gave a lower rating at Game Infromer specifically because "it didnt look as sharp as its HD counterparts". Well duh, imagine SD not being as crisp as HD.

Lets put it this way, in context of movies, and this also is based off of a real situation - Say there's a movie critic who absolutely HATES horror movies. Are you going to rely on their review of the next horror movie to hit the silver screen? A reviewer who hates a specific console is only going to look for things to hate in its games, not giving a good idea of what the good things are in the game.

Me personally? I think that there shouldn't be videogame reviews. Everyone has a different perspective. Go rent a game and see if you like it. Back in the day, I could rent NES games for $1/day, before Blockbuster destroyed local video shops. Was a great way to test out a game before making a purchase. We need a system like that again.

Game Informer also covers the PS3 more than the Wii. It does this even though its own survey reports (printed in the August issue) show that more of its readers own Wiis, either as their only console or overall (multi-console owners).

What makes the GI trashing of Wii games even worse is that because so few sites review Wii games, a bad score has a much larger effect on the meta-score for a game (e.g., Mario Sluggers).

GI also published rumors (later partially debunked) about developers being upset about Wii Motion Plus. It will place a dig at the Wii in an unrelated story -- it does it so much it would be banned for trolling.

Finally, only a couple of the 10 editors/reviewers at GI included Super Mario Galaxy in their top 10 games lists for 2007. It was a Game of the Year contender in most places and a winner in some. But most of those who review games for GI didn't think much of it.

I think all of this Wii-hate stems from the editors hardcore mentality and the fact that Nintendo did not let them preview things months in advance like Sony did for the PS3.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Do games for each console need to have the same average score for the source to not be biased?

Around the Network

Hey, Game Informers reviews their games on a different scale. a 7 is a avg game to them. Unlike other places where 5 is avg.

Just throwing that out there.

Its for gamestop customers. They have the magazine and see a high number for a game so they think its good and they go buy the game at gamestop.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Words Of Wisdom said:

Do games for each console need to have the same average score for the source to not be biased?

Not at all. A source appears biased when it's scores are badly out of synch with all other reviewers.

If  Magazine A rates PS3 games higher than the average of all other reviwers 90% of the time and the Wii lower 90% that would tend to show a bias.

If the magazine was Playstation Fanatic then that's acceptable. When it's essentially an advertisement for the largest game retailer, it is not acceptable.

Grampy said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Not at all. A source appears biased when it's scores are badly out of synch with all other reviewers.

If  Magazine A rates PS3 games higher than the average of all other reviwers 90% of the time and the Wii lower 90% that would tend to show a bias.

If the magazine was Playstation Fanatic then that's acceptable. When it's essentially an advertisement for the largest game retailer, it is not acceptable.

What's the point of having multiple review sources if you want them all to be "in sync?"

Here's a piss poor sample of 7 games:

BlastWorks: Build, Trade, Destroy. 8/10 (metacritic: 80%)

Castle of Shikigami III. 6.5/10 (metacritic: 67%)

Death Jr. 7.3 (metacritic: 71%)

Deca Sports. 3.0 (metacritic: 50%)

Final Fantasy Fables. 5.5 (metacritic: 77%)

Kung Fu Panda. 8/10 (metacritic: 71%)

Lego Indiana Jones. 7/10 (metacritic: 78%)   < Also rated for XBOX 360, PS3, got the same rating.

A who's who of no-name games that scored pretty shitty to begin with.

More relevant games:

Super Mario Galaxy: 9.75

Twilight Princess: 10

Metroid Prime: 9.5

Zack & Wiki: 8.25

SSBB: 9.5

Cry more. Seriously, way to embarrass yourself.