By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Where Sony went wrong with the ps3!!

As you may all know the ps3 launch was anything but plain sailing, by many considered to be a disaster. in my thread I will analyse where Sony went wrong and what they should have done, I will also comment on the change in the market place!

To start off Sony should have gone into the market place first, allowing the Xbox 360 a year's headstart was a huge mistake. The year's headstart allowed the Xbox 360 to firmly establish itself in America and while establishing a strong library of games. Factoring all this in it made it only harder for the ps3 to establish itself, the launch price scared consumers away, and their launch titles did not have the 'wow' factor. As every console entering the market needs is time, time the ps3 did not have it lauched in the same month as the Nintendo Wii, this was a hughe mistake, the nintendo wii was much cheaper and was therefor the consumer choice. With the high price point that the ps3 had and the fierce competition, it mean that the ps3 was in for  a real batlle!

Which is really important is that Sony should have made sure as Nintendo does, not to sell the console at a loss. They should have made the ps3 production within budget!!

Sony should have gone into the market place either a year early or at the same time as the Xbox 360. Had both consoles launched simultaneously, Xbox 360 would have been firmly in third place, brand name is everything!!

Sony should have launched with better titles, and should have priced the ps3 at launch at the current retail price of $399. This entry point is much more feasible for consumers to jump in, many consumers were disgruntled by the $599 and opted to purchase the Xbox 360, losing both new and potential customers.

But not all is lost Microsoft quick entry into the market place was a huge mistake, despite knowing about the console's issues before launch. Refused to delay the lauch,   scractched discs and most Xbox 360 owners are by now well familiar with the dreaded Red Ring of Death, a problem which Microsoft should have fixed, but opted to beat their rivals. To this day, Microsoft have still not completely fixed the RROD, only reduced the failure rate. It does not matter how many price cuts the Xbox 360 may get, they must completely erase the rrod and tell consumers this, instead of cutting price on a console that may breakdown!!

The reason why the wii is doing so well is because the Nintendo Wii at launch was $250 and the ps3 was $599. The Wii was priced perfecly for consumers to buy, where the ps3 was so expensive many people could not afford it and therefor either purchased a Wii or Xbox 360, but I want to leave you with two questions!

Q1 -If the Nintendo wii and Ps3 had been priced the same, who would have been the market leader?

Q2 - If the Ps3 lauched a year earlier, would the Xbox 360 be able to catch up?

If you do not agree with me please state your reason for this, so we can disscuss  it!!

Around the Network

What kind of mentality is this? What went wrong with the ps3?? The ps3 is doing fine.

You are a xbot?

Kane said:
What kind of mentality is this? What went wrong with the ps3?? The ps3 is doing fine.

You are a xbot?

Im the sony leader, im just stating where the ps3 went wrong and what sony should have done!!

I hate this what would've happened if?? threads

"should woulda coulda"

We must see what improvements could be made now....not in the past

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

If anything Sony went in too early and not too late. They had to go in because XBox jumped in way too early - it seems likely that Microsoft skipped the whole testing phase to do this. Sony waited to implement Wifi, Blu-Ray etc. They probably wanted to wait to get more software to support the system but they had to launch when they did. It didnt harm the PS3 anyway as its fairly certain it will be a bigger success than the XBox.

Around the Network

Lol ROFL!!!!!!!!!

Q1) PS3 at 200 dollars in Japan, 250 in the rest of the world? LOL, it's incredible how blind fanboyism is corrupting a lot of people. This isn't even a possibility for the next 3 years I'd say, do you have an idea of the financial hit that Sony would have taken. Plus I think the Wii would have sold more anyways.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Look all that matters is Sony is better than MS. Thats all that matters

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

placidcasual said:
If anything Sony went in too early and not too late. They had to go in because XBox jumped in way too early - it seems likely that Microsoft skipped the whole testing phase to do this. Sony waited to implement Wifi, Blu-Ray etc. They probably wanted to wait to get more software to support the system but they were right to launch when they did.

good point

launch games were not desirable, resistance was good but it was a new ip.

price, i dont think i need to explain this one.

losing exclusives, loads of games that were exclusive on ps2 turned out to be multiplats.

i would answer your questions but they are "IF" i could say IF wii had hd graphics or IF xbox360 never experienced RROD, you get the picture

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

Sony's mistake was in not producing a console that they could sell for a profit (or at worst a reasonable loss) at a price people were willing to pay for a game console. This is what's known as overengineering: the PS3 wasn't overpriced, but what Sony really needed was something that could be less expensive at launch.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.