By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most Awarded Games of the Year

I know Mario Galaxy won more than 17 GOTY awards and most likely more than a 100 single awards.

Around the Network

IGN alone:

Best Platformer (wii)
Best Graphics Technology (wii)
Best Original Score (wii)
Best Use of Sound (wii)
Wii Game of the Year (wii)
Best Platform Game (Overall)
Overall Game of the Year (Overall)

I didn't even count how many reader choice it won (which it won double that amount and more)

This is only one site.

@Acevil.... I knew I'd seen your avatar before.... you are on the GameTrailers page I just linked to in the post above.

TWRoO said:
@Acevil.... I knew I'd seen your avatar before.... you are on the GameTrailers page I just linked to in the post above.

Oh shit, I been spotted. I was doing a count for GOTY for awhile, It was Mario Galaxy and Bioshock that clearly won that year (On all the important sites anyways). COD4 won some, Halo did aswell. Again I only counted the major sites like 1up, IGN, Edge, Gamespot etc. You know that atleast get more than 1000 hits...a day.

I do this for every year. Bioshock and Mario Galxy cleaned last year, the year before that was Oblivion, The Legend of Zelda and Gears of War. The year before that was Resident Evil 4 mostly.

Acevil said:
TWRoO said:

Oh shit, I been spotted. I was doing a count for GOTY for awhile, It was Mario Galaxy and Bioshock that clearly won that year (On all the important sites anyways). COD4 won some, Halo did aswell. Again I only counted the major sites like 1up, IGN, Edge, Gamespot etc. You know that atleast get more than 1000 hits...a day.

I do this for every year. Bioshock and Mario Galxy cleaned last year, the year before that was Oblivion, The Legend of Zelda and Gears of War. The year before that was Resident Evil 4 mostly.

Orange Box won almost 200 awards, no other game seems to have come close. Thing is, The Orange Box has the "support" of Portal and Team Fortress 2, and combined won dozens GOTYs.

Around the Network

I'm calling PC bias

shio said:
Acevil said:
TWRoO said:

Orange Box won almost 200 awards, no other game seems to have come close. Thing is, The Orange Box has the "support" of Portal and Team Fortress 2, and combined won dozens GOTYs.

First things first, you lack the evidence to prove Orange Box won all those awards and secondly I just noticed something in your list everything you labeled is a PC game.

Finally I can grantee if I used your method of using no name site I can find more GOTY for Galaxy and maybe even Bioshock than the Orange Box.

shio said:
Chrizum said:
I think 1998 was Ocarina of Time and 2007 was Super Mario Galaxy (definitely not Orange Box).

In 1998 there was also Starcraft and Half-Life, so it'll be hard to know which actually won the most.

The Orange Box won over 100 awards, not counting Portal and TF2 seperately. SMG had no chance.

Although I think Starcraft would have deserved to win EVERY GOTY award in 1998, sadly, I think OoT stole it.

By the way, for this excerise are you including magazines and sites that are limited to only one platform? E.g. Nintendo Power, PC Gamer, OPM, etc.  I may be wrong but it seems like there are more sites and magazines that are limited to consoles than there are PC. Of course I have no evidence to back this up, so take it with a grain of salt.

edit: Or is it just considering Overall GOTY awards?

For 2005 I think it may have been between God of War, Resident Evil 4 and Civilization IV

Thatswhy they need to make KOTOR 3!

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

2002 would have to be Morrowind right?

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)