By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square-enix TGS 2008 games

LOL MATURE said:
Mellenium - Has SE switched an existing storyline to different consoles? In order for 3 to go to the Wii they'd need to change that.
Also if all they care about is money why put kingdom hearts game on the psp....

Square hasn't been known for coherent storylines between games in the past, but they've already done it once with Kingdom Hearts: they put CoM, a game they later acknowledged to be mainline series canon, on the GBA first. It was exclusive for two years.

And then there's Enix, where the Dragon Quest series, which has a coherent storyline and actually outsells Final Fantasy in Japan (though FF does better worldwide), has not only changed vendor in the past (Nintendo -> Sony); it has now also changed system type (console -> portable). This is clearly not a company afraid to go where the money is just for the sake of alienating a few whiny fanboys.

"Also if they already have the script they'd need to go back and re-write it. What would they do put mario and zelda in the game? 2 characters that never talk and clash with the art style? That would be corny to the fans of the series."

Why on Earth would they need to do that? Cloud is as recognizable to Nintendo fans as Mario is to Sony fans.

"Also if all they care about is money why put kingdom hearts game on the psp...."

Moneyhatting is my guess, given how poorly the PSP was doing when they made that decision.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network
Paul_Warren said:

"So if IGN likes your game, you can charge more for it?

I think it has more to do with things like those expensive HD graphics you were just hyping a few posts up."

Oh well, if I have to pay $10.00 extra for great graphics in my games, then so be it. If I'd only wanted the level of elevation in graphics power that the Wii typically demonstrates, I would have done just as well by sticking with my original xbox, Gamecube, and PS2 and not buying any of the next gen systems.

VGchartz and their KH3....

Look at Square Enix's gaming lineup and tell he how the hell that game can even be in production? Square Enix can't even get their ANNOUNCED games released in a timely manner...

Paul_Warren said:

@Millinieum,

Why do Wii Cultists get so mad when you tell them things they don't want to hear?

True the Wii has sold 30,000,000 consoles but the PS2 sold 120,000,000 consoles. That means that if all 30,000,000 of those Wii consoles were sold to PS2 owners that decided for some inexplicable reason that they had to have the Wii this gen instead of the PS3...

Actually, more PS2 owners have gone Wii than have gone PS3. The data was on this very site several weeks ago. I'll dig out the link and post it here later. To add insult to injury, more PS2 owners have also gone 360 than gone PS3.

"...and that 15,000,000 PS3s had been sold to PS2 owners that decided they wanted to continue their experiences with the greatest family of video game consoles ever on the planet in my opinion with the purchase of a PS3..."

In other words, blind brand loyalty. Sony was counting on you guys, you know; they even said outright during the PS3's development that brand-fanboys like you would buy the console even if there were no games for it at all (a statement which isn't all that far from the truth, but I digress). Yet you tolerated that crap, and all that other insults Sony hurled at you. Why would you stick by a company that treats you so badly? The majority of your colleagues came to their senses and jumped ship long ago.

"That's just math 095 my friend. This is also. How much does the typical Wii game cost $50.00? How much does the typical PS3 game cost $60.00. That means both Disney and Square-Enix stand to make $10.00 more on each copy of Kingdom Hearts III that they sell on the PS3 instead of on the Wii."

Not remotely. PS3 games cost more than Wii games because of two things: Blu-Ray licensing costs and the additional development effort needed for HD graphics. Disney and Square-Enix would not stand to make anything extra. Besides, even if that $10 were pure profit, Disney and Square-Enix wouldn't both make it; they'd have to split the sum between them in whatever way they've arranged. That is Math 095, my friend.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.

its weird that SE makes so much from the DS but still has nothing for wii

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

"Also if all they care about is money why put kingdom hearts game on the psp...."

The reason they put Agitto and the new Kingdom Hearts game on the PSP is because they perceive the PSP to be a much more advanced system and much more suitable for their new cutting edge games than the DS which they are relegating to remakes and rereleases of SNES era games and their upcoming Kingdom Hearts Zelda: The Four Swords type game. And they do perceive the PSP to rightly be these things as just a casual glance at Resistance Retribution makes it look like a miniature version of Gears of War.  Man, Millennium, I wish Christmas 2010 would hurry up and get here.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Note how Square-Enix isn't the one saying it; you are, despite the only thing you can cite being pretty pictures as if those made one whit of difference.

But you've got me confused on one thing: what's this about Christmas 2010?

"But you've got me confused on one thing: what's this about Christmas 2010?"

That is the date by which the PS3 will pass the Wii in worldwide sales.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

badgenome said:
Paul_Warren said:

@Millinieum,

Why do Wii Cultists get so mad when you tell them things they don't want to hear?

True the Wii has sold 30,000,000 consoles but the PS2 sold 120,000,000 consoles. That means that if all 30,000,000 of those Wii consoles were sold to PS2 owners that decided for some inexplicable reason that they had to have the Wii this gen instead of the PS3, and that 15,000,000 PS3s had been sold to PS2 owners that decided they wanted to continue their experiences with the greatest family of video game consoles on the planet in my opinion with the PS3; and another 20,000,000 of those being sold to PS2 owners that decided that for some inexplicable reason they had to have a 360 this gen; that still means there are 55,000,000 PS2 owners that haven't made up their mind which or if they even want a current gen console.

So, a certain percentage of that group were probably Kingdom Hearts and Disney fans. And, if Kingdom Hearts III goes to the PS3, then the same number of those 55,000,000 left over PS2 fans that happen to be Kingdom Hearts fans will follow suit and pick up a PS3 and increase the user base of the PS3 even further.

That's just math 095 my friend. This is also. How much does the typical Wii game cost $50.00? How much does the typical PS3 game cost $60.00. That means both Disney and Square-Enix stand to make $10.00 more on each copy of Kingdom Hearts III that they sell on the PS3 instead of on the Wii.

How much does a Wii game cost to develop on average? How much does a PS3 game cost to develop on average? There is a reason why the typical Wii game costs $10 less.

square enix big games are expensive either way

both kh are over 30 million.

Paul_Warren said:

The reason they put Agito and the new Kingdom Hearts game on the PSP is because they perceive the PSP to be a much more advanced system and much more suitable for their new cutting edge games than the DS which they are relegating to remakes and rereleases of SNES era games and their upcoming Kingdom Hearts Zelda: The Four Swords type game. And they do perceive the PSP to rightly be these things as just a casual glance at Resistance Retribution makes it look like a miniature version of Gears of War.  Man, Millennium, I wish Christmas 2010 would hurry up and get here.

I hope you aren't serious. IF so the DS is getting/got a MAIN SERIES dragon quest(their second largest series, and largest in Japan), Valkyrie Profile The Accused one, Sigma Haromonics, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 which isn't only multiplayer focused,FFCC:RoF, FFTA2, The World Ends With You, Revenent Wings,etc. These are all NEW games. While there are alot of remakes and ports, there is also a good number of new games, and alot of them are good. Also those SNES era games beat the crap out of most things put out by square since, and chrono trigger is even my favorite rpg, and beats the crap out of "EVERYTHING" square has put out imo. So please don't try to downplay the DS' support. As for having Agito, and KH on the PSP, we already are seeing PSP sales increasing in Hardware, and somewhat in software, so obviously they are going to support it right now, I don't think it has anything to do with the systems power.