By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPGs...do you prefer turn based battles or real time?

total war

Around the Network
Millennium said:
Neither. They're both good in their own ways, and should be celebrated both for what they are and what they aren't. Sometimes I want to think, and sometimes I want to twitch.

That's fact.  Real time and turn based can both be good if implemented right

Turn-based.

Turn - based

It depends. I like strategic turn-based games, but if "turn-based" = "you and the enemy stand in a row and perform canned attack animations on each-other," then real-time all the way.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

turn based

turn based

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

The button mashing crap is for babies.

Give me turn-based any day. I won't even consider playing the an RPG with a repetive and crappy combat system like a lot of the action JRPG's have. FFXII was just awful.

FFXII is the worst example to use when you say that real time rpg's suck. As Cougarman pointed out, it was turn based at it's core.

Cactus said:
FFXII is the worst example to use when you say that real time rpg's suck. As Cougarman pointed out, it was turn based at it's core.

I play both, so I'm not saying the action-based one's suck. It's just that turn-based usually works better for JRPG's, because the combat system is usually repitive and shallow when thy try to do an action-based. A good JRPG that isn't turn-based is rare. Only one's I can think of are Rouge Galaxy... and that's about it.