By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Can I get a "report users signature" button?

I get tired of typing out the same generic message over and over again. I also imagine it clutters up the mod queue something fierce after I go on one of my rampages. It would also be helpful to have a standard sig length rather than a floating one as I occasionally feel bad reporting people without avatars, but that is really a seperate issue I suppose.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

There are too many people who are easily offended and feel so self righteous so as to impose their conservative narrow minded beliefs onto the way others live. I don't think we should encourage those people.

I understand that, ok, some people's sig pic's way too big and it's annoying as fuck, but some people are gonna feel all power high and become like sig nazis.

I think we should keep it the way it is... That way, only if someone's truly in somewawy offended by a sig, then would they go through the trouble of reporting it.
Will minor offenses slip by? Duh. But what if you got a ticket every time you went 1 mile over the speed limit?

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

no you cannot.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

^ Dead god man, he didn't mention getting offended or big sigs. In fact he didn't give a reason why he was reporting sigs and you come along and start preaching about conservative people and all. I agree though, I hate having to load a bunch of crap under people's sigs, just keep it to a 50 word maximum. That should be enough.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

chenguo4 said:

There are too many people who are easily offended and feel so self righteous so as to impose their conservative narrow minded beliefs onto the way others live. I don't think we should encourage those people.

I understand that, ok, some people's sig pic's way too big and it's annoying as fuck, but some people are gonna feel all power high and become like sig nazis.

I think we should keep it the way it is... That way, only if someone's truly in somewawy offended by a sig, then would they go through the trouble of reporting it.
Will minor offenses slip by? Duh. But what if you got a ticket every time you went 1 mile over the speed limit?

This is not about imposing the will of the minority on the majority. This is about enforcing the rules on the site. Some people had sig files that were over triple the length the rules allowed for before I started my crusade. Any given thread page should mostly be made up of people discussing the topic and not whatever random picture they feel everyone should see everytime they post.

Around the Network

I agree, yeah, some people have like 3-4 pics in their sigs, and yeah it's annoying. But if you make it sooo easy to report people the power will obviously be abused.

Better idea: why not just code the rules into the forum? This way, we don't need to waste mod's time. No one will need to see all the huge pictures. And better yet, we wouldn't even need to have people report oversized sigs, so no one besides mods can go on a power trip.

It might take some time to code, iono how hard this would be or how many people vgchartz can get, but it solves a lot problems. This way, people will never have to bitch about sigs again, and I never have to bitch about them bitching.

and as an added note, sorry about the ranting, but I just dont like the extension of authority's power over me. It just seems like you're always losing more and more freedom in this world. The internet, at least, should be the one place where you still have it.

Hard coding them into the website is currently impossible since it is a flexible rule. While I would love never having to report another sig again it just isn't possible with the current rules (which I suspect are set-up to intentionally push users towards certain actions). A simple button seems easier to code up, but I am not a guru on coding so what would I know.

And for the record you are born and die completely free. You can do whatever you want so long as you are willing to deal with the consequences. There will always be a consequence to your every action. All rules and laws do is tell you what it will be without needing to experiment.

chenguo4 said:

I agree, yeah, some people have like 3-4 pics in their sigs, and yeah it's annoying. But if you make it sooo easy to report people the power will obviously be abused.

Better idea: why not just code the rules into the forum? This way, we don't need to waste mod's time. No one will need to see all the huge pictures. And better yet, we wouldn't even need to have people report oversized sigs, so no one besides mods can go on a power trip.

It might take some time to code, iono how hard this would be or how many people vgchartz can get, but it solves a lot problems. This way, people will never have to bitch about sigs again, and I never have to bitch about them bitching.

and as an added note, sorry about the ranting, but I just dont like the extension of authority's power over me. It just seems like you're always losing more and more freedom in this world. The internet, at least, should be the one place where you still have it.

Freedom is good.  Have you heard of the Free State Project?  However, VGChartz is a private website and it has nothing to do with freedom from government force.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Heh I felt a bit guilty and made my sig smaller

Anyhow... back to the topic...
I know we probably can't use code to enforce content in the sig, but to hard code limits on size? I'm dont think that'd be horribly hard.

The rule's what, up to the time stamp in a one line post? Just do this: find out how many lines all that username, posts, vg$, etc stuff is. Call it x. Not including the avatar, this is constant for everyone.

Then just get their avatar size, however many pixels that is. Call this y. Add x and y together, and subtract the size of the one line (since the rule's uses a one line post as a measuring stick).

So we get, x+y-(size of one line) = Z. Z is our absolute limit on sig.
So then, whenever someone goes to save their profile, we can simply have the website check: lines of text * height per line (in pixels) + height (in pixels) all pictures must be less than Z.

Done. The only difficult part might be display properties. If someone's got bad eyesight eyesight and increases text size like mad in their browser, then obviously text takes up more and more space relative to the picture. To simplify it, we can just use a universal measuring stick, like say, Firefox 3.0's default display setting, or whatever.

Shouldn't be too bad. Then the only report would be of content, and no size issues. This way, people can feel safe about what they've put up in their sig, and people who are worried about oversized sigs have nothign to worry over anymore.

FreeTalkLive said:
chenguo4 said:

Freedom is good.  Have you heard of the Free State Project?  However, VGChartz is a private website and it has nothing to do with freedom from government force.

Well, I'm not talking about vhchartz's rules being too tough. I'm talking about people going out of their way to enforce tiny transgressions.

Like the TC said, he's reported people who dont have avatars (though he feels bad). That's not even fair, if you dont have an avatar you have practically no room for sig; much much less than anyone who has an avatar. You shouldn't be punished for that.

Most people would see that, yeah the guy doesn't have an avatar, so it's much easier for his sig to go over the limit than someone with an avatar, and wouldn't report him.

And then there's people who're like, Oh noes! This avatar-less guy's 3 pixels over his (already small) allotted space!! REPORT! REPORT!!

And I'm saying, putting in a "report sig" button makes it too easy for people who're like that to wreck havoc.