By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Intel courting Microsoft/Sony for Larrabe (GPU) deal.

Rainbird said:
Squilliam said:
MrBubbles said:
would this be a good deal for microsoft or are there better options?

They could make Intel give them a pretty nice CPU as part of the deal and get it CHEAP. It would be quite an awesome deal if it did go through for both parties.

Intel gets one of the biggest/best software tool development companies in the world working on their chip and gains mass market adoption. Microsoft gets a cheap deal. So its a win/win if they can agree really.

Except it could put Microsoft in the position so well known from the PS3, with complaining developers. And as far as I understood, Larrabee is a combined CPU and GPU..?

That is also a way of describing the cell.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
MrBubbles said:

They could make Intel give them a pretty nice CPU as part of the deal and get it CHEAP. It would be quite an awesome deal if it did go through for both parties.

Intel gets one of the biggest/best software tool development companies in the world working on their chip and gains mass market adoption. Microsoft gets a cheap deal. So its a win/win if they can agree really.

Unless Microsoft gets scared that the unorthodox architecture of the Larrabee might scare off developers. They know very well that developer support is more important than cheap hardware.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Squilliam said:
Rainbird said:
Squilliam said:
MrBubbles said:

Except it could put Microsoft in the position so well known from the PS3, with complaining developers. And as far as I understood, Larrabee is a combined CPU and GPU..?

Except Microsoft makes excellent tools and has an awesome developer relations. If they had made it, most likely the tools available in 2005 would have been much better.

This all assumes intel can even make a decent compiler for it. Remember the Itanic?

Noobie said:
PS4 with 4 Cell chips with each having 8 SPUs and 32 to 48 core larabee GPU... that will be insane... but hugely expensive too i think.

The cell+ protoypes I was privy to had 20 spus, although that was a year ago, and things change.

alephnull said:
Squilliam said:
Rainbird said:
Squilliam said:
MrBubbles said:

Except Microsoft makes excellent tools and has an awesome developer relations. If they had made it, most likely the tools available in 2005 would have been much better.

This all assumes intel can even make a decent compiler for it. Remember the Itanic?

AFAIK it would be Microsoft creating the API, GPUs don't need compilers.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
alephnull said:
Squilliam said:
Rainbird said:
Squilliam said:
MrBubbles said:

Nothing needs a compiler, you can just program everything in assembly. If you saying there are no GPGPU compilers... I don't know how to respond to that. Ever heard of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA ? I thought you were a big GPGPU evangelist or something?

Squilliam said:
alephnull said:
Squilliam said:
Rainbird said:
Squilliam said:
MrBubbles said:

So, this thing aparently aparently uses the x86 ISA plus other stuff so you are going to get another C+intrisics compiler like cell , which btw has taken it's time in becoming stable. This thing is also supposed to magically maintain cache coherency between 32 cores with no massive overhead (or nasty tradeoff). This thing must be unicorn and dragon powered. I wish I could short sell just this division of intel.

i don't think MS will like to take the risk with something so drastically different then their current generation and also where they don't know if the thing will even take off..

Secondly i don't think Intel is going to sacrifise its CPU profits to make Larrabee take off... Intel CPUs are dominating and they don't need to adversely effect their profit margins for something radically new...

xbox720 in 2010?????
isn't this tooooooo earlyyy???

Where the fuck is Nintendo? Isn't a Intel in the Wii or IBM?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.